hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI

More
23 Apr 2017 23:27 #91909 by rodw
Kurt, thanks, I had a play recently with axis. I think that master has been fixed since I reported my homing issue and I no longer need custom code in gmoccapy.py. now that Norbert has resolved the bug I reported. Assuming its resolved, from a usability perspective, you should not offer the user 2 options that do the exact same thing which is what you are doing now. Maybe you should say "Joint 1,3 (Y)" for Joint 1, suppress joint3 display and internally only home 1 joint.

I've got no history with CNC so maybe I have different views. I've created a lot of user interfaces though. If the user has to home all axes before running a program, why let him home each individually? I can only see that might be necessary when setting up the machine but I managed to do this with just the home all button.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2017 00:04 #91910 by grijalvap
Hi
I download the new hazzy code and tested, it run well.
Regarding the Rodw comments, I agree that until the machine is properly set up, there is no reason to have the option for drive joints individually.

thanks

More
24 Apr 2017 00:30 #91915 by phillc54
I think showing joints in FREE mode should be determined by the ini file, if non trivkins then show joints, if trivkins with kinstype=BOTH then show joints, if plain trivkins then no need to show joints.
Similarly with home buttons, if the joint has a HOME_SEQUENCE in the ini file it has no need of an individual home button but if it doesn't have a HOME_SEQUENCE then it needs an individual home button.

Cheers, Phill

More
24 Apr 2017 00:39 #91917 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI
Rod, you make a good point there. I guess the only reason to have individual homing buttons would be if the homing sequence is not defined in the INI file, or, maybe, for something like a SCARA robot. Axis and Gmoccapy have individual homing buttons, but come to think of it, I only use them but once in a blue moon.

If there are going to be joint pos DROs, I would think it should display all the joint present in the machine. But most users probably never will care about the joint positions, so maybe I should make the joint display optional (or just play hidden) if the machine has trivial kinematics.

Pedro, I am glad to hear you got hazzy to run! There are a lot of things that are not functional yet (especial on the file chooser page), but hopefully you can get a feel for what I am trying to do.

Thanks for the input all!
Kurt

More
24 Apr 2017 00:43 #91918 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic hazzy - Joint Position DROs
Phill, I guess you type faster then I do :)
I think what you describe is an excellent solution as it would work in all cases, and should make everybody happy. It should also be quite easy to implement. Thank you!

Kurt

More
24 Apr 2017 09:18 #91941 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic hazzy - Joint Position DROs

I think what you describe is an excellent solution as it would work in all cases, and should make everybody happy. It should also be quite easy to implement. Thank you!

Kurt

I agree too. For the record, I never even knew world/joint mode existed until Norbert started asking me questions in relation to the bugs I came up against!

Lets face it, its only something of interest to integrators like us on the forum, the average user won't even want to know about joints!

More
24 Apr 2017 23:03 #92013 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic hazzy - Joint Position DROs

Kurt

I agree too. For the record, I never even knew world/joint mode existed until Norbert started asking me questions in relation to the bugs I came up against!

Lets face it, its only something of interest to integrators like us on the forum, the average user won't even want to know about joints!

Unless they are using ja with a gantry machine. Thats the first thing that pops up when starting linuxcnc

More
25 Apr 2017 06:19 #92032 by newbynobi
Hallo,

rodw is right, I solved the gmoccapy gantry homing issue. I also need a correct INI config, but I do check within getiniinfo the kins and some more stuff, to display the DRO or JOINTS Pos.

Take care, that till now the jogging problem is not solved. The user of a gantry is still able to jog one joint without homing the machine, I am working on that!

Norbert

More
25 Apr 2017 06:28 #92033 by phillc54

rodw wrote: Lets face it, its only something of interest to integrators like us on the forum, the average user won't even want to know about joints!

Well I consider myself a user rather than integrator and I am always happy when a joint is available. ;-)

Cheers, Phill.

More
25 Apr 2017 09:22 #92040 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic hazzy - Joint Position DROs

Hallo,

rodw is right, I solved the gmoccapy gantry homing issue. I also need a correct INI config, but I do check within getiniinfo the kins and some more stuff, to display the DRO or JOINTS Pos.

Take care, that till now the jogging problem is not solved. The user of a gantry is still able to jog one joint without homing the machine, I am working on that!

Norbert

Norbert, going off topic for a moment, I'm not totally convinced Gmoccapy has solved everything in relation to the changes in Master. I've had a number of errors in relation to limit switch and following errors (now fixed) that are reported on the command line but do not raise an error dialog window. I think errors like this were previously reported by Axis within the GUI. I'm not sure if its a GUI issue or a LCNC issue. One error I traced back to deep within the LCNC code and it appeared to be making an incorrect assumption as to what was causing the error due to JA changes. "Axis is misconfigured" when it wasn't.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds