hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI

More
20 Aug 2017 17:23 #97790 by sqmathlete
sqmathlete replied the topic: hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI
Good question, I have been asking myself that a lot lately. If you can get past the set-up ( see the ethercat-hal driver thread), ethercat allows the use of CANopen protocol which means you can use pretty much any servo amp, simplified wiring, and all of the complicated motion and homing is handled by the servo amp not LinuxCNC. Plus the cycle time is incredibly fast. There are those that know way more about it than me over on the other thread that could explain it better.

As for the tool changer, wish I had a duplomatic, much simpler. Mine is hydraulic that requires a lot of ladder logic...

Dan
More
02 Oct 2017 16:12 #99771 by Roguish
Roguish replied the topic: hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI
Is this still in development? looked good.
More
02 Oct 2017 18:55 #99778 by kcj
kcj replied the topic: hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI
Yes and no.

Out with the old
When I originally wrote the GUI I intended it for my own personal use, on a specific machine, with a specific screen, so there were a lot of things that were hard coded that really should never have been. A lot of this I could have fixed, but it would have required essentially a complete rewrite, and making the screen and background graphics scale-able, while still looking decent, seemed like it was going to be a real challenge. And after all that work, it would basically be the same thing, not very customizable, using a dated toolkit etc. It short, it seemed like a very short sighted approach.

In with the new
So, what I decided do to was start completely from scratch, using the GTK+ 3 toolkit (which has native touchscreen support!), and try to make a highly customizable "widget" based interface that can be rearranged on the fly via Drag and Drop. It is almost like integrating the Glade editor into the interface itself. The idea is to build up a "library" of widgets, where each widget serves a singe distinct purpose. So instead of having "hazzy-mill", "hazzy-plasma", "hazzy-waterjet" you simply drag 'n drop the widgets you need, and if the widget you need has not been made yet, it is very simple to make a custom one.

Currently the following widgets are more or less working:
  • Dro
  • Basic Controls (Power ON, ESTOP, ENABLE, state indicators)
  • File Chooser/Manager
  • Terminal Emulator
  • Camera Viewer
  • Gcode Editor
  • Tool Table Editor

Still a long way to go, but I hope to have something usable in the next week or so.

Here is a short video to give you a little better of an idea:

Let me know what you all think about this. I am always open to constructive criticism!

Thanks,
Kurt

P.S. I apologize for being so remiss in keeping this thread updated :dry:
More
02 Oct 2017 20:13 #99780 by Roguish
Roguish replied the topic: hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI
thanks for the status.
i could debug a bit if you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kcj
More
02 Oct 2017 20:16 - 02 Oct 2017 20:19 #99781 by kcj
kcj replied the topic: hazzy - Another touchscreen GUI
That would be great! I will let you know when it is stable enough.

I forgot to mention that the current dev branch is GTK3, if anybody wants to take a look.
github.com/KurtJacobson/hazzy/tree/GTK3
Last Edit: 02 Oct 2017 20:19 by kcj. Reason: add link
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds