Random stuff, reduction, servo motors, ideas and thoughts

More
02 Jan 2021 10:54 #193823 by tommylight
That BOB does not belong there ... :)
And as i've read several times here on this forum, it will need another power supply of 12-24V to work, besides 5V.
Enjoy ... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2021 12:29 #193834 by Mike_Eitel
I would fear overheating.
If you gueas a Power loss of 25% of your max power - > that will be your "heater" equivalent.
m5c
Mike

More
02 Jan 2021 12:48 - 02 Jan 2021 12:59 #193836 by machinedude
i though about adding a fan to pump some heat out. every thing else has fans built in but you still have the closed space to vent so that will probably be done as well.

part of the reason i did not like the small enclosure was lack of spacing but i'm on a tight budget at the moment.

i have a 24V power supply but don't think i need it with just the step and direction. this bob does take a 12V to 24V if you want to use the relay for a spindle.

this is just going to be very basic for right now. i just want things to move :)

correction i will need the 24V power supply for the fans i have :) but the only way to fit the fan is to mount it on the out side since it gets in the way on the inside. plus if i add 2 more small power supplies my space is down to zero on the inside :)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2021 12:59 by machinedude. Reason: more information

More
02 Jan 2021 13:02 #193838 by Mike_Eitel
Simply keep door open ;-)

More
02 Jan 2021 13:10 #193839 by machinedude
stuff getting into the electrical bits was what got me into trouble in the first place :) so a fan on the outside is not that big of a deal :)

More
02 Jan 2021 14:19 #193840 by Mike_Eitel
Jep, being short of coins.... Was my life as familiy breadwiner..
Gets you creative which in my eyes is not the whorsest ;-)
Just prepare the openings now, you could eventually use a fan out of an old pc-powersuply.
Mike

More
02 Jan 2021 16:30 #193852 by Clive S

i have a 24V power supply but don't think i need it with just the step and direction. this bob does take a 12V to 24V if you want to use the relay for a spindle.

No. it still needs 12-24 V for the inputs to work. As well as the 5V

More
02 Jan 2021 18:12 - 02 Jan 2021 18:13 #193865 by machinedude
i have both here so no big deal. the biggest deal is fitting it in the box :)

the last bob i had was just a mother board made for Gecko drives.it was nothing more than the step and direction logic signal and a DC connection for the motors. plug and play in it's simplest form.

the only thing i seen about this one or one that looks just like it was the 5V supply coming from the USB. i guess not all computers use a 5V and some are only around 3.3V in that case a dedicated 5V supply is needed. i will have to see if i can find something more on the 24V side of it. i thought the 24V side was just for spindle control, E stop and limit switches but i could be mistaken.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2021 18:13 by machinedude.

More
02 Jan 2021 18:21 #193867 by Clive S
All USB should give 5 volts out but the current may vary.

P/Ports used to be 5 volts but I believe most now are 3.3 volts.

12v connected to the Bob will make the inputs work and the spindle.

More
02 Jan 2021 18:38 - 02 Jan 2021 18:39 #193869 by machinedude
right now i don't have anything other than step and direction. the spindle and mister coolant are all manual controls. this is a just a for now set up that is bare bones, this box is not staying on the machine forever, just until i get things made and then it's getting moved over to my lathe.

once i get it down to the the computer i can check voltages on the bob connections i'm just not that far along yet. with the holidays all my parts came in Thursday evening and I spent most of my time since trying to figure out the best way to fit all this crap into a small box :)

i think i got the control signal sorted out i just need to move things to the machine and connect the motors to the drives. then i can see if i need to add power supplies or not.

basically it just depends on the computer at this point and until i get things down there i don't were i will land on that side of things just yet :)

i'm not a fan of wiring things up :) i tend to feel like the village idiot in that department :)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2021 18:39 by machinedude.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds