Random stuff, reduction, servo motors, ideas and thoughts

More
30 May 2021 19:17 #210723 by machinedude
finally got back to this but it was short lived before i pushed to hard and snapped my endmill off :)

i got up to 3mm depth of cut running @ 25 IMP and when i boosted the feed rate up to 40 IMP that's when the endmill gave out. i think it was largely because the chips were packing up in my slot and i was .525 imperial deep. the rpm would slow slightly but it did pretty good all in all. not like watching paint dry but slower than a commercial machine no doubt.

got my phone to make a video but the endmill broke before i got a chance and i only had one.

ended up using a 5/16 endmill or around 8 mm for you metric folks :)

i also think pushing harder creates some deflection since this style of machine is not the most solid. roughing and finishing passes are needed and are easy enough to work into the program so not a big deal to deal with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2021 21:02 #210741 by andypugh

i got up to 3mm depth of cut running @ 25 IMP and when i boosted the feed rate up to 40 IMP that's when the endmill gave out. i think it was largely because the chips were packing up in my slot .

What material? And were you running coolant?

More
30 May 2021 22:07 #210752 by machinedude
i had a mist coolant unit on it and this was in 6061 aluminum.

More
30 May 2021 22:20 #210753 by andypugh
OK. I don't really know much about mist cooling (I always use old-school flood) but I could imagine it not reaching to the bottom of a slot full of swarf.

But, my broken end-mill collection is probably far bigger than yours, so I don't have the answers :-)

More
30 May 2021 22:28 #210755 by machinedude
3 flute uncoated endmill for aluminum. if i had the rigidity it should be running at around 65 IMP for the rpm i am able to get but on a moving gantry machine i am not as rigid as i would like to be. what i have is not great but it is not that bad either. i do think it is better than what the spindle was attached too to begin with and the travel is leaps and bound better :) i think the mini mills had 6" by maybe 14" of travel at best so 50" x 100" is better in that department :)

More
02 Jun 2021 00:06 #210927 by machinedude
got some new end mills today so i made a quick video. since these end mills are not the cheapest backed some things off to to be safe and avoid mishaps. the 12" x 55" x 1" flats cost about $175 each just for the material so slow and easy is better for this :)

this was a 5/16 3 flute carbide end mill running around 4600 RPM slotting taking a .100 deep cut at 20 IPM. so for the metric folks that close to a 8mm diameter end mill taking a 2.5 mm deep cut at 508 mm/min

i'm sure it would do more i just don't care to push things to the brink.

vimeo.com/557837551

More
11 Jun 2021 01:22 #211764 by machinedude
not sure what material costs are like in other places but i just looked at prices and Aluminum prices are getting out of control . i am glad i got this table top material when the prices were low i just checked the same place i went too and the price went up 33% :blink:

More
08 Sep 2022 04:55 #251464 by cronitro
Hello tommylight.

I’m interested about that “Prvomajska Inda” DC servo motors. Do you still have it?

Thank you!

More
08 Sep 2022 07:56 #251470 by tommylight
Yes i still have all 4 of those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cronitro

More
08 Sep 2022 12:56 #251483 by cronitro
Thank you for your answer.

How can we communicate privately? I can't send you PM.

Thank you!

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds