ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
01 Nov 2015 13:26 - 01 Nov 2015 13:33 #64569 by Razor_keen
Ok,so i was trying to install a preemt kernel on ubuntu trusty and had a few issues. i was following a set of instructions i found over at sourceforge that seemed to work for the most part, but im guessing something wasnt right since when i loaded ubuntu with the new kernel it failed to load.

sourceforge.net/p/emc/mailman/message/33665819/

I'm installing this on a dell latitude d830, and was hoping someone could help me with the correct syntax to enter into terminal. I should be able to locate and install any dependencies for the most part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jason

im running 64 bit ubuntu, if u need any other info pls let me know.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2015 13:33 by Razor_keen. Reason: missing info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2015 15:54 #64571 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help
The instructions are fine, but you can't just follow them blindly, if you don't know what you are doing.

The config needs copying to .config in the root of the kernel code and you need to use xconfig to change it to 64 bit, because it is a 32 bit config.
# Automatically generated file; DO NOT EDIT.
# Linux/x86 3.18.11 Kernel Configuration
#
# CONFIG_64BIT is not set
CONFIG_X86_32=y
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS_INTEL_UNCORE=y
CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf32-i386"

If any of that means nothing to you, you need to search on and read up on kernel building.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Razor_keen

More
02 Nov 2015 04:33 #64590 by Razor_keen
Yes its true I don"t have any experience configuring kernels. I see now I must change the .config to the 64 bit version. Seems simple enough. Before I attempt this, should I read more into configuring kernels, or could it be that I simply overlooked this simple thing.
Kind regards
Jason

More
02 Nov 2015 15:18 #64602 by ArcEye

..... could it be that I simply overlooked this simple thing.

If you read the guide without a knowledge of the kernel building sequence, it might lead to you patching with the rt patch, but building with a default vanilla non rt config, because the config does not get mentioned until after the build instructions.

Run make clean, copy the rt-kernel-config to .config in the root of the source, then make menuconfig (or xconfig) and set it to 64bit and build and install again.

Hopefully that should do it.

regards

More
03 Nov 2015 08:37 #64654 by Razor_keen
Yes, I seen that the .config file was to be added before make config. However it is still a bit overwhelming. so I do appreciate any and all the help.
I found a more recent kernel and patch I would like to try.
4.1.5... Although I'm not aware of a a pre existing working config file.
So I've read, some of the things to look out for while configuring the kernel is to enable fully preemt kernel, disable most of the acpi functions except the ones needed for high res timer, and turn off the drivers not associated with my laptop.
I actually tried to config myself before I posted here using the instructions I posted. I tried configuring myself, then using the .config. The first attempt loaded into ubuntu but I kept getting a software problem detected warning. The second time it would not load. I believe I overlooked the 32bit 64bit selection option.
Is there a generic config that comes with the rt patches that I could trim down, instead of starting from scratch or using the generic non rt one from the previous kernel?
It would seem that making the kernel is one of the hardest parts to getting linuxcnc to work on newer os'. If you know of a place I could look that could explain the process behind correctly configuring this, it would be helpful. There are plenty of results in google, but I may not be searching for the right things, and a lot of them are vague or spend very little time going over the nuances of the actual configuration.
Again I appreciate all help.

More
03 Nov 2015 09:40 #64655 by toolmaker69
I just installed the simulator on 14.04 on a 64 bit intel machine. I don't know how much more difficult it is to install the whole deal on 14.04. Others here know far better than I do. I'm running the full linuxcnc on another machine, using 10.04.

Anyway, I used a combination of wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Build_A_Simulator_Manually and a little of www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...buntu-1404-lts--true though I needed to discard some of the advice at the end of the latter.

On my machine, running the simulator, the terminal shows that my wait states would have been much too high to actually run a machine. But again, I never even checked jitter on this machine, as it's a server that is built for stability, not speed or efficiency.

Anyway, maybe if you read through the first link it could help you understand some of the errors you are getting on your complete install. Maybe it would help you get an overview.

More
03 Nov 2015 15:29 #64666 by ArcEye

I found a more recent kernel and patch I would like to try.
4.1.5... Although I'm not aware of a a pre existing working config file.

You don't need another config file, the settings do not change with kernel versions.

I have built all the way to 4.x.x-r11 with the same config.

Just set it to 64 bit and build, all the settings necessary for rt-preempt are there.

regards

More
05 Nov 2015 08:46 #64782 by Razor_keen
There were problems with each config i made each diffrent. is there a way to see the config of my current build so i can compare each and find something that will be optimal?

More
05 Nov 2015 18:45 #64807 by cncbasher
running any linuxcnc kernels on a Laptop are probable causes for problems , is their a reason you wish to use ubuntu , and not change to debian as per the live cd , there are reasons changes were made .
theirs no real need to run the latest and greatest kernels , but laptops are the worst for subtile changes , as they are usually cutdown and facilitys removed etc .

i have successfully built kernels to 4.1.10-rt11 with rt-preempt .
abeit this is using a desktop and debian 7

More
05 Nov 2015 19:06 #64809 by ArcEye

There were problems with each config i made each diffrent. is there a way to see the config of my current build so i can compare each and find something that will be optimal?

Each kernel you build has a config file copied into /boot

/boot/config-4.1.10-rt11 for example

Because they are text files, you can just compare them with diff

There is no need to change anything in the config that was with the instructions you got, except the 32 / 64 bit build

I didn't pick up on your single mention of 'laptop' earlier.

It will not stop you running sims on rt-preempt, but don't expect a great latency for machine control.

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds