ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
05 Nov 2015 21:42 #64827 by Razor_keen
Unfortunately the .config from the instructions was a fail. upon booting there were some graphical anomilies and at the password prompt box, when entering my password, it would flash and restart the computer.

This is why I was going to compare the files.

There is no great reason to do this on ubuntu i suppose other than to try to streamline the workflow as best as possible in an environment I'm used to and comfortable with. ubuntu has a bit more of a gooey feel to it.

Having the machine controller on a laptop is just a matter of portability. I have a small mill here at the house and I have access to a much larger wood router elsewhere I can use. the man that owns it said his previous employee took the computer that ran it, and I was welcome to use it.

I will look into why the config did not work and I will post what I found. Wish me luck lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2015 22:59 #64830 by cncbasher
it wont be the config at fault , but the fact of needing specific drivers for your laptop , the config works fine on a desktop .
this is as i said before , the pitfalls of working with laptops , with specific needs for graphics etc , and power management

More
06 Nov 2015 09:29 #64866 by Razor_keen
Isn't the .config responsible for deciding which of those drivers to load during boot up? so, essentially it is the config that is not working on my computer.
I see its a very stripped down kernel. which is good.
I plan on adding back only the very essential options and i see a few things i may not need, but ill have to google any and all lines i don't understand so this may take awhile. i guess its the best way to learn.
i've heard of other people using this computer as a machine controller so i think it will work, but i'm both a novice and in uncharted territory.
one of the errors I encountered seemed to be that ubuntu seemed to recognize i was running a diffrent kernel. there is a line in the config called kernel version signature that is missing from other builds. maybe editing the config manually on a text level may trick it? Forgive me if its a little early to assume its that simple.

More
06 Nov 2015 11:19 - 14 Nov 2015 05:17 #64870 by Razor_keen
So, an easy way to do this is to copy the working file and the existing file into a text comparison app and only focus on the certain lines that are pc specific.
it keeps the mess as neat as possible i think.
Any suggestions or support?
its a lot of work but if i succeed i may have a template for future ubuntu releases for this laptop.
if im way off base let me know but it seems this is just as basic of research i can do, with enough time.
the main reason is these laptops are cheap right now and they are built to last. so, hopefully,it will work. im open to both criticism and or encouragement.
like i said, others have used this comp for a machine controller (albeit they are un-contactable or id ask how they did it)
IM also seeking info regarding controlling a third machine a shop bot. tool path?

Ok, so the forums were down for a while and ive been doing my homework, and have found out alot and finnally have a working kernel that doesnt break ubuntu specific programs like using mainline linux kernels, and much to my dismay i cant reply on my own topic. what gives? Neways the problems i was experiencing were due to the fact that the kernels in these directions needed 4 patches not just the rt patch.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 05:17 by Razor_keen. Reason: couldnt reply to my own topic. hopefully someone will explain

More
06 Nov 2015 17:55 #64877 by cncbasher
their probably using v10.04 than 14.04 , the problem being we dont know what drivers that particular laptop requires , it may need additional downloads etc
say wifi ( which is one of the worst offenders ) ethernet & graphics are the areas to focus on .

dell have a habit of using cutdown functions , then using special drivers .
i would see if ver 10.04 installs and runs , then use the kernel config from that if sucessfull to match against your newer version , may be worth a try

i'm not saying it can't be done , it's just a lot of work figuring out , try using a version of the same age rather than up to date versions usually work
at least a good starting point , then work forward

More
07 Nov 2015 00:25 #64917 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

i would see if ver 10.04 installs and runs , then use the kernel config from that if sucessfull to match against your newer version , may be worth a try

If you are still trying to get a rt-preempt kernel, there is no point copying a config from a very old rtai kernel (Ubuntu 10.04 based distro).
They will be completely different.

If you install Debian Wheezy, there is a stock rt-preempt kernel available.

If you install Debian Jessie, you can pull that kernel through backports.

I should do one of those 2, preferably the first and see if your computer will run a rt kernel

If so, then build whichever kernel version and see if it runs on debian.
If not there is something awry with your machine, I have built the kernels from 3.2x all the way to 4.1.10 without issue on normal Intel desktops

Laptops may be cheap, but they are bad controllers
Ubuntu is bloatware these days and under the skin is Debian, with lots of pretty pictures and other c**p added.

There is a lot to be said for using Debian on a desktop

regards

More
14 Nov 2015 16:53 - 14 Nov 2015 17:08 #65245 by Razor_keen
With respect, there are a lot of things that can be done to overcome the obstacles of using a laptop as a machine controller.
turning of smi (potentially harmful)
turning of certain settings in bios,
and configuring certain apic settings will have your laptop producing respectable latency and jitter values.

simply using a linux kernel is not enough. ive found a few things that may be of intrest to anyone trying to do this AND keep ubuntu fully functional.
1) kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.1.12-wily/
This is the baseline kernel used in ubuntu wily and the patches needed to make it a fully functional ubuntu kernel
2)www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.1/
This is a link to a rt patch to be added to the ones previously mentioned in the read me above

Now, in posting this, I realize there are a lot of other people who are interested in this, and these are not definitive instructions on how to accomplish this.

I am also wondering if there is a way to change the headers and all mention of it being a 4.1 kernel to the generic kernel that is already in my system.

Hopefully this will trick the system into not wanting to report to canonical that you have changed the kernel. im sure you will need to change something iin grub if you want it to allways be loaded, but it seems that it would be better to just load it when your actually going to use the machine.

4) wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild
scroll down to the q and a with syntax and this is where i get the idea this is possible. of course he is not changing any headers or signatures but it is possible. i remember scanning another site reading exactly where all occurrences of the kernel version is held, before i realized it could be important or understood what it meant.
I was hoping someone with more experience with this could make the definitive instructions on compiling this kernel and patches, and how to change the headers and append them to the stock kernel.
regards
jason
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 17:08 by Razor_keen. Reason: change to nonworking link

More
14 Nov 2015 19:37 #65254 by cncbasher
simple answer is we don't use Ubuntu anymore .

More
14 Nov 2015 21:44 #65260 by cmorley
we should use mint.
I think we have forgot why we used Ubuntu in the first place.

Ubuntu is user friendly and well polished.
Mint is now a better out of the box choice now (IMHO) but the argument is the same.

I really dislike Debian. It has 'paper cuts' all over the place.
Ubuntu/mint has packages included/intergrated that Debian doesn't.

Debian was a disservice to our casual users.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Razor_keen

More
15 Nov 2015 00:19 #65264 by Razor_keen
Listen,I have two kids that I would like to get into linux and using it to program embedded systems, namely arduino. We are used to ubuntu. ubuntu is, as previously stated, user friendly. thanks for your input, i may consider looking into mint, but for now I'm committed to using ubuntu. I'm sure at some point I will outgrow it, but for now, this is me.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds