ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
19 Nov 2015 16:33 #65517 by andypugh

Other than the confusion over the xenomai kernel, the preempt kernel should work just fine right?

Absolutely. Sorry if I have dragged this discussion into debate over one minor point. The rest of the functionality looks great.

Just choose to install RTAI (for the best latency, I would certainly suggest that for a parallel port system) or RT-PREEMPT (which is the only choice for an Ethernet system).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2015 16:38 #65518 by tjmarch
Razor
Give it a try I think it should work

Tim

More
19 Nov 2015 17:17 #65521 by tjmarch
Razor
I highly recommend Mint xfce 17.2 it is a Ubuntu based product desktop is similar to windows and everything seems to work out of the box. Should be easy for your kids to catch on to.

Good luck
Tim
PS I hope my scrpit is usefull for you, please report back here if you have trouble with it and your final results

More
20 Nov 2015 02:50 #65558 by tjmarch
Razor
You seemed concerned about maybe not using the full potential of your system by inquiring about making build 64bit. You can do some reading about pae kernels here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Linux

Here is a quote from that page:
"With PAE, IA-32 architecture is augmented with additional address lines used to select the additional memory, so physical address size increases from 32 bits to 36 bits. This increases the physical memory addressable by the system from 4 GB to 64 GB. The 32-bit size of the virtual address is not changed, so regular application software continues to use instructions with 32-bit addresses and (in a flat memory model) is limited to 4 gigabytes of virtual address space. Operating systems supporting this mode use page tables to map the regular 4 GB address space into the physical memory, which, depending on the operating system, may be as big as 64 GB. The mapping is typically applied separately for each process, so that the extra memory is useful even though no single regular application can access it all simultaneously."

In a nut shell, if you have a PAE enabled kernel it (the kernel) can access (I believe) 36 bits of address space (64GB). However, since it's a 32 bit system, any one process can only access 32 bit space (4GB).

32bit bothered me to until I learned this

Tim

More
26 Nov 2015 04:15 - 28 Nov 2015 18:11 #65809 by Razor_keen
ok i think i have a working set of instructions that works with all the ubuntu specific apps.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 18:11 by Razor_keen.

More
28 Nov 2015 18:45 - 28 Nov 2015 18:50 #65964 by Razor_keen
First go to kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.18.24-vivid

download three files

0001-base-packaging.patch
0002-debian-changelog.patch
0003-configs-based-on-Ubuntu-3.18.0-7.8.patch

Then open terminal

cd ~
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential bin86 kernel-package libqt4-dev libncurses5
-dev pkg-config
mkdir rtkernel
cd rtkernel
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.18.24.tar.xz
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/pr....18.24-rt22.patch.gz
tar -xpf linux-3.18.24.tar.xz
gunzip patch-3.18.24-rt22.patch.gz
cp patch-3.1824-rt22.patch linux-3.18.24
cd linux-3.18.24
cat patch-3.18.24-rt22.patch | patch -p1

at this point go to your folders icon and then go into the download folder. copy the three files you downloaded into the new folder linux-3.18.24 located in the rtkernel folder you created earlier.

continue in terminal

cat 0001-base-packaging.patch | patch -p1
cat 0002-debian-changelog.patch | patch -p1
cat 0003-configs-based-on-Ubuntu-3.18.0-7.8.patch | patch -p1

the next step is the configuration part. you will need to do some research on how to configure the rt kernel.

make xconfig
make
sudo make modules_install
sudo make install
sudo reboot

If you are doing this on a dell d830, the wifi will no longer work at this point. go back to terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo reboot

This should have fixed the wifi.

if you wish to not have to report the kernel change you can upgrade to 14.04.3 and download the kernel, which will get rid of the splash errors, but you will have to remember to go to the advanced options in grub and select your rt kernel at bootup.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-vivid

there will be one splash error but it will be related to the change we made to fix the wifi. Go ahead and click on it then deselect the check box and hit ok.

If you run accross this because of a google search, make sure to sign up for a linuxcnc account and hit thanks under my name if it works for you. There will be more later one configuring the bios and changing other settings on the d830 to make it an effective machine controller.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 18:50 by Razor_keen.

More
28 Nov 2015 21:32 - 29 Nov 2015 03:50 #65978 by Razor_keen
i was following this syntax for installing linuxcnc and ran into a few errors
cd ~
sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui
sudo apt-get build-dep linuxcnc
sudo apt-get install libudev-dev ___ E: Unable to find a source package for linuxcnc
git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
cd linuxcnc-dev
git checkout 2.7
git pull
cd src
./autogen.sh ___ ./autogen.sh: 6: ./autogen.sh: autoconf: not found
./configure --with-realtime=uspace ___ bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
make
sudo make setuid
cd ..
. scripts/rip-environment

first, the apt-get build-dep linuxcnc line did not work. any help is appreciated
Last edit: 29 Nov 2015 03:50 by Razor_keen.

More
29 Nov 2015 03:49 #65996 by Razor_keen
checking for module installation directory... configuring for run-in-place
/home/jason/linuxcnc-dev/rtlib
checking for glib... configure: error: no -- required until somebody makes glib optional
This is an error that shows up after using the ammended script found in Ubuntu 14.04 linuxcnc instructions.
it shows up at the end of the ./configure --with-realtime=uspace command.
so far everything else shows good

More
29 Nov 2015 17:07 #66015 by Razor_keen
long story short, that was the beginning of a series of dependencies i need to make this work. if only the line sudo apt-get build-dep linuxcnc would work...
neways i need to configure the tcl lib
checking for tcl... tclConfig.sh not found, trying tcl.h and libs.
If it doesn't work try running ./configure --with-tclConfig=<path to tclConfig.sh>
ill give it a try but im ot sure which file this would have went to.

More
29 Nov 2015 17:20 #66017 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help
You need to install tcl8.6-dev and tk8.6-dev

They stopped packaging the config file with the main library, which causes the same problems in Jessie

regards

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds