ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
29 Nov 2015 17:27 #66018 by andypugh

long story short, that was the beginning of a series of dependencies i need to make this work.

You can get a list of dependencies with dpkg-checkbuilddeps as described in section 2.4 here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Instal...est_updates_with_git

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2015 18:12 #66023 by Razor_keen
linuxcnc is installed! i will be posting the dependencies in ubuntu 14.04 linuxcnc instructions. if anyone can pls review these and tell me if we will be missing any run time dependencies, your help would be greatly appreciated.

More
29 Nov 2015 18:26 - 29 Nov 2015 18:29 #66024 by Razor_keen
Andy
thanks i will give it a try
jason
Last edit: 29 Nov 2015 18:29 by Razor_keen.

More
29 Nov 2015 18:39 #66026 by Razor_keen
Andy
.config returned
no realtime kernel found!
But this cant be right. I installed linuxcnc after finding the dependencies through trial and error and got this
LinuxCNC is a software system for computer control of machine #
# tools such as milling machines. LinuxCNC is released under the #
# GPL. Check out www.linuxcnc.org/ for more details. #
# #
# #
# It seems that ./configure completed successfully. #
# This means that RT is properly installed #
# If things don't work check config.log for errors & warnings #
I will continue to test and debug, but which dialog is more likely to be right?
Thanks
Jason

More
29 Nov 2015 19:17 - 29 Nov 2015 19:20 #66028 by Razor_keen
I got a warning after entering the make command, and there was some instructions on where to find those warnings. I copied the warnings in command line but I missed the part on where to find them. These may be related to the realtime kernel? I really hope not, but if it is I have a pretty good idea of where the .config was changed that may be affecting compatability, but id rather not go changing it right now till I have a better idea of what the warnings are.
Also, as Ive never run linuxcnc I am unsure as to how to run the latency test. also in the live cd, there seemed to be a lot more to the program that made it easier to configure.
Upon exiting linuxcnc I got this
Note using POSIX realtime
Last edit: 29 Nov 2015 19:20 by Razor_keen.

More
29 Nov 2015 19:31 #66029 by Razor_keen
Nevermind on the latency test. I remembered how it was packaged real nice like in the debian weezy cd and the ubuntu 10 cd. if i get everything working right, how hard would it be to put everything into a gui interface similar to the ones in the other OS'?

More
29 Nov 2015 22:22 #66062 by Razor_keen
Ran the latency tests after disabling smi and various changes to the bios. The results were less than what i got from the livecd. like, embarrassingly so. I may not have configured the kernel quite right. I left several things on in the acpi section, plus did not remove the debug option. Are there too many differences between the live cd and the newer kernels that I couldn't compare the settings? Seems like a good start to go back to where i had good latency and compare it to what I have.
I was hoping to turn the fan on high and disable the smi on start-up, but that will have to wait until I've fixed the latency issues. if anyone is willing to test what I have so far, that would be a great help, to see how it performs on another system. The instructions so far are at the similarly title topic ending in instructions.
Replies, suggestions, confirmations, should be redirected here.

More
30 Nov 2015 04:18 #66087 by Razor_keen
I'm starting to see why people are moving away from ubuntu more and more. So many of the packages programs rely on have just been abandoned, leaving unresolved build dependencies.

More
01 Dec 2015 00:11 #66139 by Razor_keen
This may have become more of a build log than anything. My apologies. Looks like latency held over three hours at ~41000 and ~28000.
I've yet to optimize the kernel. Also I think for this Dell latitude D830 I should experiment with the rtai kernels as well.
At first, I wasnt liking how unity did not offer a start button in which to navigate apps that may have very well have gone unnoticed. After a little bit of tweeking we now have a start menu, bottom left-right, mint style. Still need to attach linuxcnc to it, as well as latency test.
Maybe a fresh install of 'cnc will do this? Nothing went as planned so i reserve the right to be skeptical.
I would like input on whether the latency is decent or if anyone has latency cutting methods or links to other places where i could explore options, i would appreciate it

More
01 Dec 2015 15:57 - 01 Dec 2015 17:53 #66166 by tjmarch

Razor_keen
The above screen shots are Xubuntu 64bit and Mint xcfe 64bit
You wanted a 64bit install with Rt-preempt kernel and linuxcnc I have been working on this a few days
follow instructions in dolist and make files dolist and setupRt.sh
I have attached both for you to view

Tim March :laugh:
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Dec 2015 17:53 by tjmarch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc, Razor_keen

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds