ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
02 Dec 2015 02:33 #66194 by Razor_keen
Ive been contemplating abandoning ubuntu 14.04 for a few days now. I've actually made some improvements and have it working on 14.04 albeit im struggling to figure out what i did that worked vs. all the extra stuff i did. i wasnt documenting everything i was doing, and i made a lot of changes that i really dont understand. I added a new partion and tried to follow my own instructions, plus remember the extra changes i made but am not yet able to recreate it. You understand my urge to create something new and understand it, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2015 03:15 #66195 by Razor_keen
One of the reasons i picked the kernel i did in my set of instructions (work in progress was that the ubuntu patchs matched the kernel and dindt interfer with the rt patch. Im curious as to whether the instructions you provided could be amended to consider this kernel, or if the kernel/ patch combo works at all. im running you script now. I added the Isoclpus parameter to grub. i am curioius where this script gets it s .config from. ive not read the script enough to see this.

More
02 Dec 2015 03:29 #66197 by Razor_keen
terminal seems to have froze at
debian/configure uspace ; debuild -d -uc -us > configure.txt

More
02 Dec 2015 03:56 - 02 Dec 2015 04:12 #66199 by tjmarch
Razor_keen

It just takes a long time to create the deb files. Also the kernel is a pre-patached package that is installed by script.
Note: Isoclpus parameter and idle=poll parameter should not be used togeather.

Tim
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 04:12 by tjmarch.

More
02 Dec 2015 06:01 #66200 by Razor_keen
Your right it took awhile lol. a little over an hour. everything seems to work. Latency already usable, at ~38000 and ~25000. I followed some tips i found at the link below, and with the wifi and ethernet turned off, with glxgears runnig and some music, latency is ~12000 and ~20000. so i should use idle=poll or isoclpus? Do you recomend i run tests with each?
Regards
jason

P.S. if you can think of any other latency reducing tips im all ears.

More
02 Dec 2015 16:14 - 02 Dec 2015 16:25 #66213 by tjmarch
It is worth a shot to try it can't hurt, with grub customizer it makes it easy to try different settings

Tim
Try disabling visualization in bios if your bios has it
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 16:25 by tjmarch.

More
03 Dec 2015 00:19 #66244 by Razor_keen
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/259...success?limitstart=0
Previously promised link. Im wanting to use this computer due to lack of funds and its actually a pretty solid build for a laptop.
I was contemplating spending $25 dollars to upgrade the cpu to a t9300, which should reduce heat output of the cpu, and be a little bit safer to run smictrl.
I have copper sheet, i think would be useful for added heat displacement. A peice over the cpu, and a peice over the gpu, should help a lot plus the cooler cpu. ( for $25 outta pocket this is a good move, i think.)
does anyone feel the cpu change would hurt latency? Its a boost in cpu power by .3 plus much lower heat.
Plus i have some ddr3 2x4gb ram that may work. it cant hurt on a trial run.
all things on hand, minus the paste and cpu, this shouldnt set me back much.
One thing i was waiting on buying was the breakout board. consider my output will be about 3.5v, is there a breakout board that anyone would suggest?
thanks in advance,
jason

More
03 Dec 2015 00:36 - 03 Dec 2015 00:59 #66246 by tjmarch
Razor_keen
What type of breakout board are you thinking of? When I think of breakout board it requires a parallel port connection which your laptop doesn't have.

Tim
You may want to look here
www.mesanet.com/

or
www.omc-stepperonline.com/5-axis-cnc-bre...iver-stv2-p-197.html

or unconventional requires some understanding of arduino and python and is a little slow uses USB
emc2arduino.wordpress.com/tag/hal2arduino/
the above web site is a mess to navigate on
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 00:59 by tjmarch.

More
03 Dec 2015 02:11 #66250 by Razor_keen
My plans are to use a pcmcia adapter parrallel port. or if it will allow for better latency there is a docking station available for this laptop for cheap, which will also allow me to not use the onboard graphics chip, saving me a small amount of latency by reducing shared memory between the gpu and ram. both of which has worked for other users, albeit documentation is fleeting and limited to audio recording use.
Additionally the computer has vga output and a serial - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9).
Im undecided. and in need of a better education on how linuxcnc reacts with each.

More
03 Dec 2015 02:14 #66254 by Razor_keen
There was a grbl based board i was partially interested in. the tinyg 2. the motion control for it is said to be much better than other usb grbl controllers.
I wasnt much interested in usbbased controllers but if i was this would be my choice.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds