Netmos 9865 pci parallel port help

More
14 Jun 2016 12:53 #76001 by chadrat6458
I will try the parallel port tester.

How do I test for this?
if LinuxCNC is talking to the parallel port, and if the parallel port is talking to the BoB.

Joe - What are your dip switch settings on your drivers?

Thanks Guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2016 14:04 #76012 by joe
Looking at the 4030 with the diagram at top, dip switches facing you and reading left to right.
1 - down 2 - up 3 - up (this is for half stepping) 4 - up (this is for half current mode) 5 - up 6 - up 7 - down (2.7A) 8 - down (doesn't matter, switch isn't used on the 4030). If these switches are wrong it won't prevent LinuxCNC from moving the stepper motors, they just won't have enough power or won't move as far as you think they should. So if you still can't jog the motors with the step config wizard then the dip switches probably aren't the problem.

On the C10 board - check how you've got your 5V power supply connected to the C10. I'm using this one:
www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...-supply/kl-10-5-5v2a.
I've got a wire going from -V on the power supply, to the ground on the C10.
I've got a 2nd wire going from +v on the power supply to the 5V on the C10.
And I've got a jumper on the C10 that connects the 5V to the EN

For wiring c10 to 4030s:
(x axis) 2 to PUL -, COM TO DIR+, 3 to DIR- and then on the 4030 there is a jumper between DIR+ and PUL+.
You should be able to use a multimeter to see if you're getting the 5V from the power supply, through the C10 to the DIR+/PUL+ on the driver.

And in the step configuration wizard :
2 - X Step, 3 X Direction. (Y and Z are the same but use ports 4/5, 6/7.)

More
14 Jun 2016 15:13 #76016 by chadrat6458
I think I have mine wired up that way. I used a step down converter for 5v

In the parallel port tester, I change the 0x378 address in the hal file to my port address. I would use 0x1008 or 0x1000, right?

More
14 Jun 2016 17:52 #76020 by joe

I think I have mine wired up that way. I used a step down converter for 5v

In the parallel port tester, I change the 0x378 address in the hal file to my port address. I would use 0x1008 or 0x1000, right?

Did you put a multimeter on it to see if you are actually getting the 5V out of the board, into the drivers? You still haven't said just what the latest symptom/error message is.

As far as the port address - my personal opinion is that it's a waste of time and energy to keep modifying the .hal if you never got the configuration far enough to know you are talking to the machine. If it was me, I'd use the configuration wizard. I'd put the address on the first or second page where it asks for it, then go and setup one axis and test it with the test button right there in the wizard. If it doesn't work, it's easy enough to hit the back button, and try a different address.

And if it's the only parallel port on your machine, I'd try 0, and 0x378 as well as 0x1008.

More
14 Jun 2016 18:29 #76021 by chadrat6458
The motors are not moving. I feel the only thing I have accomplished is getting the jumper from the gnd to 5v moved.

Not sure what to do next. Multimeter from bob to driver or parallel port test?

More
14 Jun 2016 20:18 - 14 Jun 2016 20:20 #76024 by Todd Zuercher
When nothing makes sense, start over and re-examine even the most basic details for mistakes.

In the picture of your bob you have wires red,black,green,red,... on pins 2-9 and their commons. What exactly are the red, black and green, wires connected to?

But even before that, we have yet to determine definitively if Linuxcnc is even comunicating with the breakout board/parallel port combination. Try connecting a jumper wire from one of the inputs to 5v on the bob, can you see that input change state in Linuxcnc when you do that? If not try the same thing only to ground instead. if you still don't see any change. Then you either don't have the parallel port address right, or Linuxcnc isn't communicating with the port for some reason (such as are you sure the port is address 0x1008 and not 0x1000).

Once you've confirmed you have signals going to and from the bob, then you are ready to delve deeper into why the steps are not getting to the drives.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 20:20 by Todd Zuercher.

More
14 Jun 2016 20:29 #76025 by chadrat6458
Those wires go to the drivers. They are wire up like Joe stated above.

Do you mean jump the input pins to 5v? Look at the lights in the hal config in the linuxcnc?

Thanks.

More
14 Jun 2016 22:50 #76032 by chadrat6458
OK I have 5v at the drivers.

I ran the parallel port tester. When I used address 0x1008. I was able to see pin 10 go green and red when I pushed my estop button. It is wired pin 10 to 5v. Estop is nc.

More
14 Jun 2016 23:09 - 14 Jun 2016 23:13 #76033 by joe
So if it was me I'd do this:
pull up stepconfig and create a new profile.
Work through step by step:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/stepconf.html

On Step 5 leave everything as "unused" except for 2 and 3. Configure them for the X axis.
Put your 0x1008 in the box where it's asked for.
On Step 7 put the data in for your motor. If your dip switches are like mine, then microstepping is 2. Most motors are 200 steps per revolution. The rest is determined by your machine - what pulleys or lead screws it uses etc.

Test that axis. If it moves, then fine tune the numbers until you're happy.
If it doesn't, then hit the back button until you get back to step 5. Check the invert box for x-step, then go forward and test it again.
If it works, go back to step five and add the Y axis on 4 and 5 - repeat one axis at a time.
Leave the extra stuff like limits and e-stop for after the x/y/z are working.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 23:13 by joe.

More
15 Jun 2016 13:05 #76067 by chadrat6458
None of that worked. I am tired of messing with the pci card. I am looking for a Dell with a built in parallel port. There are a couple on craigslist at a reasonable price. I hope it will work better for me. Thanks for all your help Joe.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds