Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
29 Jan 2017 16:22 #86911 by Rolquin
Hi there many thanks for all your help.

I'm using Debian , but the Screen looks pretty similar. Only difference , when I'm going to the application menu , either way when I select Setting or System the sub menu is the Synaptic Package manager. I can not find Package manager.

And yes i have been asked for a password, under the Synaptic , but the option for the check mark is not active.
I know your post its related to Mint , as I'm a newbie not sure if its a better option by now stay on Debian.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2017 16:59 #86914 by cncnoob1979
Have you tried to check build dependencies yet?

See if it works without the hassle of enabling repositories. I bet Debian is enabled by default.

Just skip the step of enabling source repositories. Continue from there.

Run the configure ( ./configure uspace) in Debian depending on what guide your following.

More
30 Jan 2017 07:55 #86952 by Joco
Post #1 worked like a charm for me and that's doing it on a Core2Duo iMac. :-)

Nice and clear instructions - well done and thanks.

More
30 Jan 2017 13:18 #86964 by cncnoob1979
Glad it helped you! You're welcome.

More
04 Feb 2017 17:27 - 04 Feb 2017 17:28 #87300 by jtc
Today I have time to test this tutorial, work great :)

I'm using linux mint 18.1 cinnamon 64bit

I'm with a 2560x1440 resolution on on board graphics(msi h97m-e35). the latency could be better but at least I can get a decent resolution.

Two minor bugs for now, Axis starts minimized, and no shortcut for linuxcnc on the start menu, next time I compile linux I will "make install menus" and see if it solves this.

João
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2017 17:28 by jtc.

More
04 Feb 2017 17:39 #87302 by cncnoob1979
There is a fix for the menus issue. If you read at the bottom of the post it tells you how to get the menu to show.

Glad you found the tutorial helpful!

Thanks!

More
14 Feb 2017 08:17 #87945 by Reinhard
at debian add-apt-repository (for highlab.com) does not import the key.
So I had to issue these commands too:
wget http://highlab.com/rtai/2017-01-10/dists/archive-signing-key.gpg
apt-key add archive-signing-key.gpg
Then the apt-get update succeeds without errors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cncnoob1979

More
16 Feb 2017 02:43 #88021 by cut2cut
Hi,
I'm having an issue getting past one of the very first steps of POST 1. When I run the Synaptic Package Manager I am not seeing a way to "check for removal" the two items you suggest that need removal : virtualbox and ndiswrapper. For instance "virtualbox"'s only option available is to "Mark for Installation". Can you provide more detail as to how these two items are to be removed ? Or if they are not installed, perhaps they do not need removal anyway ?

Also, later when I get to the point of selecting the "Fully Preemptable Kernel" in the Processor types and Features section there was no option to select a "fully preemptable Kernel". Perhaps this was due to using the 64bit Mint installer instead of the 32 bit version you used ? Now, I am starting from scratch with a fresh install of the 32 bit version of Linux Mint but have yet to get past the above issue with regard to removing virtualbox and ndiswrapper. I think I'll try anyway, without removing those two (uninstalled) items but would like this addressed so other "noobs" can benefit from my early frustration.

Jake

More
16 Feb 2017 02:46 #88022 by cncnoob1979
Hey!

If they are not installed then no worries. In the end it would not hurt either way, on my box it throws an error. If these packages are not in your installation it is safe to ignore. It will not fail the building process.

Let me know if you have any more questions or issues!

More
16 Feb 2017 03:01 #88023 by cut2cut
Thanks for the fast reply. Ok, I've ignored those items and moved on to the Xconfig. Sadly, bumps in the road here too. You wrote in bold letters :
"CAUTION: You MUST at the minimum select "Fully Preemptable Kernel" in the "Processor Types and Features" section"

Well, I do not see an option for a Fully Preemtable Kernel in the processor Types and Features section.
Perhaps it is not available due to my specific hardware ? Any ideas ?

Jake

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds