Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
10 Mar 2017 16:12 #89337 by PKM
Well I think I chose to install 3rd party software, it was saying about wirelesss adapters etc. But I also think I did the same when installing 32-bit version. Now I'll know to skip that. Please add that to the guide.

IIRC the kernel was complaining about QT. I tried installing... qt-dev, right? But that was always about missing repositories or too new distro version. Sure I added the repo and updated the packages (even a few times) but nothing helped.

The guide did not say anything about enabling source code repositories, or did I miss that?

Thanks! I think I'm OK with a 32-bit version for now, but next time I'll try 64-bit again and see how it goes. If compiling the kernel not so long (~1.5hrs) I would try again soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2017 16:42 #89342 by cncnoob1979
The 3rd party is in the guide along with my warnings about removing thoes items.

I also stated in the note concerning enabling the source code repositories. Which guide did you follow?

Getting the dependencies checked is the key to limiting the amount of hunting you need to do. It would have listed the dependencies that you needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PKM

More
10 Mar 2017 17:38 #89352 by PKM
I was following post 1.

Now I see the phrase "Install as usual > I install the 3rd party stuff on install"... But I can't see where you don't recommend this... must be lost when editing?

And yes now I see that "Enable Source Code Repositories" is required.

Great guide, thanks again!

More
10 Mar 2017 18:30 #89358 by cncnoob1979

NOTE: Go into package manager and remove ndiswrapper and virtual box. If these are not installed then don't worry about it, at worse case during the build process you get warnings and will not break the build if you elect to not removed these packages.

Its listed just before the new kernel install :)

No worries, its a lot of information and easy to look over. No trying to be a stickler, just trying point these items out for others so they will know the information is there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PKM

More
10 Mar 2017 19:09 #89361 by PKM
Really! Thanks!
A lot of information, right... particularly for a guy that doesn't compile a kernel everyday :)
Now I'm feeling more prepared for 64-bit install!
I think it would be reasonable to mention where you say about 3D party stuff that if you install it you'll have to remove ndiswrapper and virtual box later.

More
10 Mar 2017 19:38 #89368 by cut2cut
I made the mistake of installing the RIP install ( option 1 ) when I should have installed option 2.
So if anyone installs the RIP install note that just because it's the first option, it doesn't mean it's the correct installation for you. Imho, its less likely a newb to Linux and/or Linux CNC should use option 1 , imho :-)

Says the noob :-)

Cheers,

Jake

More
10 Mar 2017 20:16 #89373 by cncnoob1979
PKM:
Those two are just some of the items installed from 3rd party. Its up to you if you want to install it. I do, and I remove those two items I had mentioned because of the build time warnings. I will edit as discussed to help those out later on to save confusion.

My advise is to read and re-read the posting to understand the sequence. Once you do check out post 4. As far as steps go... it not difficult.

This guide is bare minimum directions to install [so many different possibilities], my real chore is to explain the []why and []when. I have spent an awful amount of time to test each sequence and step via trial and error.

cut2cut:
Actually IMHO, a noob will more than likely try a RIP to test out new branches later on. Have you tried master yet? I really like the master branch so I can keep up to date with changes, so far I have not had a broken git pull. A rip is very easy to manage and use... once you have one and tried it a few times.

How is your install going btw? Are you configured/running yet?

A .deb install is locking you into a version, without updates ect.. if you are just trying things to see what you like.. a rip is the way to go.

But for someone who doesn't fancy new things and just want an install and go... You really do want a .deb install :)

More
10 Mar 2017 20:44 #89375 by cut2cut
Hey James,
The software part has been working great thanks to you and the others on this thread like Tommy and Rod. Looking back it was a great experience but only because it ended well ! lol. Since then, I have had some minor teething issues understanding how to use PNCconf for my Mesa 7i76e controller card but that didn't take long. I have all three axis working and the spindle too which is great ! Getting the VFD (spindle motor ) to work with the 7i76e was a wee bit over my head ( actually a lot ) but thankfully my brother was able to create a wiring diagram. He's an electrical engineer. The Mesa controller board is quite good engineering I'm told by those that helped me, however the manual is not very "noob" friendly. Not complaining, just from my perspective, they aren't targeting the noobhobbyist for their product :-) Hope you are well !

P.s. Maybe I'm mistaken but the RIP build doesn't create short cuts to the manuals, step config, PNCconf, etc... right ? Anyway, I just like things to work first, then experiment. I believe I have version 2.7.8 of linuxcnc but I'd have to double check that number !

Jake

More
10 Mar 2017 20:55 - 10 Mar 2017 21:00 #89376 by cncnoob1979
Hey Jake!

Glad your starting to get up and going. Yeah manuals can be a bear to wrap your head on. My head too!
Once you understand what your looking for, the manual becomes painfully clear ;) I really enjoy Mesa products.

The rip will install the shortcuts in the main menu. You just have to uncheck/recheck them like with the deb. The rip becomes a pain when you want to install Glade to edit panel or if trying to install NCam or Work with probe. These are looking for standard LinuxCNC installation locations and can be frustrating to install with your RIP configuration.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 21:00 by cncnoob1979.

More
11 Mar 2017 17:58 #89428 by steveg
Hi James ,after adding the amd64 repo everything worked flawlessly.

Steve

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds