Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
19 Feb 2017 16:52 #88278 by cncnoob1979
Hey Jake!

Sorry your having issues. Did you successfully run dpkg-checkbuilddeps?
cd linuxcnc-dev
cd debian 
./configure uspace
cd .. 
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

You appear to be failing this step. I checked all dependences when I put the guide together for 18.1, so you should have had all of them. Perhaps run:
sudo apt-get install devscripts build-essential imagemagick texlive-font-utils tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libxaw7-dev libncurses-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev dblatex groff python-dev python-tk libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev asciidoc source-highlight libboost-python-dev texlive-lang-cyrillic debhelper texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-german libmodbus-dev dvipng libusb-1.0-0-dev graphviz inkscape python-numpy python-imaging-tk python-gtkglext1 tclreadline blt bwidget libtk-img tclx libudev-dev gstreamer0.10-plugins-base python-vte libqt4-dev libssl-dev texlive-lang-polish w3c-linkchecker libxenomai-dev

No worries if you already have these dependencies, apt will just state that you have them and wont try to install them again.

Some libraries are embedded into other ***-dev packages. You can also send me an email from this forum and we can work it on the phone, then list the solution here on the forum.

Thanks,

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2017 19:50 #88289 by BigJohnT
I think you need to change your name to linuxguru :)

JT

More
20 Feb 2017 03:14 #88317 by cncnoob1979

More
20 Feb 2017 05:29 #88323 by tommylight
I had the chance to test this tutorial some days ago on 3 computers. I already had Mint 17.3 and 18 on other computers with running Linhxcnc installs, the 18 took over 4 hours to get going.
Using your tutorial it took roughly an hour, so thank you very much for that.
I also took it as a guide on how a how to should be done, but am stil not there.
Regards,
Tom

More
20 Feb 2017 05:47 #88324 by cncnoob1979
Thanks Tommy!

Also thanks JT! Just got off the phone with Jake his 64 bit had an issue with dependencies. Went on a dependency hunt... wasn't fun! Jake is a great guy glad he's up and going.

Has anyone else had a 64 bit dependency problem? His was; libgnomeprintui2.2-dev ; python support and tcl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cut2cut

More
20 Feb 2017 05:53 #88325 by rodw
I think from memory, I had some issues with these, I updated so many sources, I eventually solved it (but was worried I'd break something). Too long ago to remember now.

More
20 Feb 2017 06:31 - 20 Feb 2017 06:33 #88326 by cut2cut

Thanks Tommy!

Also thanks JT! Just got off the phone with Jake his 64 bit had an issue with dependencies. Went on a dependency hunt... wasn't fun! Jake is a great guy glad he's up and going.

Has anyone else had a 64 bit dependency problem? His was; libgnomeprintui2.2-dev ; python support and tcl.

Uber thank you James (cncnoob1979), a very rare person. I'm impressed. THANK YOU !

Over the next few days I'm going to try the same procedure on my brothers computer ( I believe it is also 64 bit ) and will report back. If I have similar issues again and if the same solutions that cncnoob found work ( for a real noob like me ) i'll post with more details. Bascially, it came down to those dependencies, and possibly using apt-get install a bit sooner may be appropriate, it appears.

I'm very happy now. And as James pointed out since the deb's are built, I can always fall back on them for my hardware configuration without having to hunt down the dependencies again.

Cheers,
Jake
Last edit: 20 Feb 2017 06:33 by cut2cut.

More
22 Feb 2017 03:25 #88476 by cncnoob1979
I've added a POST = Just show me the code!!

Check it out. This is for when you know what your doing and don't feel like reading about it.

More
22 Feb 2017 06:30 - 22 Feb 2017 06:31 #88484 by cut2cut

I've added a POST = Just show me the code!!

Check it out. This is for when you know what your doing and don't feel like reading about it.

I like the new edit CNCnoob1979. One additional thing I have to keep reminding myself of is to close the synaptic package manager after making changes before issuing new bash terminal commands. At times the bash terminal would return an error if it was asked/commanded to do something ( something specific but I don't recall what it is right now ) while it was open. So, for other noobs like me, I suggest get into the habit of closing the package manager after using it.

This morning I finished a second installation using Post#2 on different hardware but also 64bit. I still had the exact same dependency issues but everything else went smoothly.

So I tried to use PNCConf to configure one axis with the Mesa 7i76e. Got an error when I tried the test and tune, so now its off to dig into that. Wish me luck !

Cheers,

Jake
Last edit: 22 Feb 2017 06:31 by cut2cut.

More
22 Feb 2017 07:06 #88485 by rodw

So I tried to use PNCConf to configure one axis with the Mesa 7i76e. Got an error when I tried the test and tune, so now its off to dig into that. Wish me luck !

Cheers,

Jake

Jake, I don't think anybody has got the test and tune to work in PNCCONF.

I just worked out the pulses per mm for my setup and played with it until I was happy with the speed I needed, then backed off a bit. I did this before I even had any linear rails mounted. I had a cheap $12 digital tacho off eBay which let me confirm the RPM which I could calculate. It was very accurate!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cut2cut

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds