(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
01 May 2020 08:33 #166291 by rudi
unfortunately this only works on 64 bit pc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2020 08:47 #166292 by BeagleBrainz
Yep.
Tho there is nothing to stop you from installing a 32 bit version of Mint, building a kernel & building Linuxcnc yourself.
In all seriousness if you are using a parallel port and a 32 bit machine the Wheezy ISO is your best choice. Yeah yeah Wheezy is end of life, but that wont stop it from running.

More
04 May 2020 18:09 #166651 by Nate
i am getting a error here is a copy of what it was giving me

PNCconf encountered an error. The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

LinuxCNC Version: UNAVAILABLE

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pncconf/pages.py", line 1402, in on_update_tune_params
self.t.update_tune_test_params()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pncconf/tests.py", line 864, in update_tune_test_params
halrun.flush()
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

i am trying to figure out how to get my motors to move i can pung the mesa 7i96 but no movement any one have step by step for the mesa ether board all i am finding on youtube is parallel board

More
04 May 2020 18:50 #166655 by tommylight
Can you please set pncconfig without tuning, save it and see if ti works.
All the tuning you can do at any time later.

More
11 May 2020 20:06 #167417 by Nate
okay i have communication with my board and i can ping it. now i have a light squeal coming from my motors i open linuxcnc and the sound gets quieter can tell it to cut the sample file of linuxcnc and it shows on the screen the motors moving and no errors but the motors do not move any ideas?

More
11 May 2020 21:27 #167426 by tommylight

okay i have communication with my board and i can ping it. now i have a light squeal coming from my motors i open linuxcnc and the sound gets quieter can tell it to cut the sample file of linuxcnc and it shows on the screen the motors moving and no errors but the motors do not move any ideas?

Start a new topic, and give us more details.

More
12 May 2020 21:17 #167560 by tommylight
Added a much easier way of installing it to the original post, it now uses RT 5.4 kernel from Debian repos.
Also included is the script to automate everything.

More
13 May 2020 01:17 - 13 May 2020 01:23 #167591 by BeagleBrainz
What's the latency like with the 5.4 Kernel ?

Do the headers install ok ? I've seen issues when installing headers from Debian on Ubuntu systems due to mismatching of gcc and various other utilities.
Last edit: 13 May 2020 01:23 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 May 2020 06:43 #167611 by tommylight

What's the latency like with the 5.4 Kernel ?

Do the headers install ok ? I've seen issues when installing headers from Debian on Ubuntu systems due to mismatching of gcc and various other utilities.

Installed it on a Lenovo T420S, it is a lot better than 4.09 or 4.19 , latency histogram never goes above 105K, but it will drop the connection to Mesa 7i92 after roughly 10 minutes. That is something else i noticed last night with it, when running latency-histogram the processors are locked at 3.3GHz all the time and they do not go down even when switching from power to batteries and vice versa, while when running Linuxcnc it never goes above 2.8GHZ and it drops very often to 2.6GHZ, so that might be the reason for the spikes and the drop of connection.
On an Asrock H61M MB with a dual core celeron, it is the same as far as i can tell.
I did not install the headers at all, could not find them so i gave it a try without it and it all works properly so far, to early to decide, but not noticing anything missing or non functional.
The 5.4 will complain about missing driver for an Realtek net card and for I915 chipset, not using any of those so it is good for now.

More
13 May 2020 08:01 #167619 by BeagleBrainz
I think thats a missing firmware issue with i915 & Realtek.
The headers will be an issue for those that need to be build a kernel module or install VirtualBox.
With the kernels I use I build them on Mint, that means that there is no issue with mis-matching of gcc, linkers and the rest. Apart from the RT patch I don't apply any other patches either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds