Linux Mint ISO with RTAI and RT

More
30 Jan 2020 11:27 - 12 Feb 2020 22:24 #156162 by tommylight

Warning:
Please do not go asking for help on Linux Mint forums with issues regarding Linuxcnc and these ISO's !!!
Linux Mint is the operating system, Linuxcnc is the machine controller, so please do keep that in mind when asking for help.

Last 2 months i have been using 2 versions of Linux Mint 19.2 with Linuxcnc 2.8 for the RTAI and 2.9 for the Preempt-RT version that i made in ISO format, so they are basicaly unchanged othervise except the added software installed like Inkscape, Blender, Darktable, Shotwell, Zenmap, Filezilla, Hex editors, VLC, KdenLive, Kino, Multisystem (Boot USB creation), etc. The RTAI version has less additional software installed.

They can be used to boot from USB as Multisystem ( liveusb.info ) or writen to USB with DD or Linux USB image writer.

The size of them is a bit over 2GB each.

They have proven very handy for testing PC's for latency, testing all kinds of electronics i deal with, using it as an oscilloscope ( hal scope ) for checking step pulses from parallel port to parallel port, etc.

Upgrading Linuxcnc version of Preempt-RT iso in Live mode is as simple as downloading the new version from buildbot and double clicking on it.

Links to google drive
Preempt-RT version, for newer computers and ethernet and PCI/PCI-E Mesa boards, parallel port, etc
drive.google.com/file/d/1GQF_G1TWIBNTiSW...lfs/view?usp=sharing
MD5SUM : 35c966c42d2495ed53bfdc3972c5d579
This is to be used as a Live version for testing, installation from it fails !!! Boots properly as Multisystem USB or written to USB with DD or win32diskimager
IF you want to permanently install this same version, use this howto, it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to have a fully functional Preempt-RT Linuxcnc installation:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...installation?start=0
The same is valid for Mint Mate 19.1, 19.2, 19.3.

RTAI version for older computers, parallel port, Mesa PCI and PCI-e boards, etc. Has DEV installed.
drive.google.com/file/d/1jtliNGaJUIq7kte...Sr0/view?usp=sharing
MD5SUM : 7fc59e4b65a9535af5c1da8d5b9b8c06
This is to be used as a Live version for testing, installation from it fails !!! Boots properly as Multisystem USB or written to USB with DD or win32diskimager
Last edit: 12 Feb 2020 22:24 by tommylight. Reason: Removed info about installation, The RT version fails to install.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nkp, probamo, Clive S, pommen, JohnnyCNC, bbsr_5a, web123456

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2020 11:42 #156164 by bbsr_5a
Thank you
As im a "Almost" beginner with 100Mashines in use most still on 10.04 i need to upgrade some DAY

PLEASE Can you tell why to use MINT ISO insted of Stretch ISO

More
30 Jan 2020 11:50 #156168 by tommylight
That is a preference, i prefer using Mint as it works perfectly and has some nice features built in, like "open terminal here" and "open as administrator" from the file browser. It aslo opens the terminal by presting " ctrl+alt+t" .

More
30 Jan 2020 17:22 #156190 by BeagleBrainz
How come when I suggested this and actually did this 12 months ago it was a BAD THING ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Jan 2020 18:29 #156193 by tommylight

How come when I suggested this and actually did this 12 months ago it was a BAD THING ?

Wrong time, wrong place, wrong planet ?
Pick one !
:)

More
30 Jan 2020 21:08 #156206 by BeagleBrainz
I'm guessing wrong clique. meh

More
31 Jan 2020 02:24 #156228 by JohnnyCNC
I made my first chips yesterday with Mint 19.3 and your ISO's. So far so good. It was great to be able to do a fresh install with the latest and not have to compile or patch. That process took a loooong time on this machine.

Thanks
John

More
31 Jan 2020 05:16 #156234 by rodw
Tommy, Chris Morley received permission from the Linux Mint team to distribute LinuxCNC on a Mint ISO. I wonder if your ISO's could be hosted as part of ther LinuxCNC project?

More
31 Jan 2020 07:55 #156240 by bbsr_5a
Thank you for this answer
so for a NEW system it is TIME to go MINT

More
31 Jan 2020 13:09 #156251 by tommylight

Tommy, Chris Morley received permission from the Linux Mint team to distribute LinuxCNC on a Mint ISO. I wonder if your ISO's could be hosted as part of ther LinuxCNC project?

Thank you Rod, i am aware as i was following that with great interest and was very happy we got the permission to use it, it is by far the best distro.
Just in case i missed doing this, Chris, thank you very much for making that possible.

Warning:
Please do not go asking for help on Linux Mint forums with issues regarding Linuxcnc
Linux Mint is the operating system, Linuxcnc is the machine controller, so please do keep that in mind when asking for help.

A big Thank you to Linux Mint community for their awesome work in providing an operating system that is absolute joy to use.

A big thank you to the Linuxcnc comunity for their awesome work on a machine controller that is by far the most versatile and flexible controler, barr none.
With utmost respect,
Tom.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds