Linux Mint ISO with RTAI and RT

More
03 Feb 2020 04:24 #156420 by BeagleBrainz
Yeah I noticed that running sudo apt-get update returned a lot of errors.

I think we should wait for tommy to wake up ,I don't know why everyone isn't awake when us Aussies are, and get him to look into it. I'm don't want to step on his toes or send you or others in the wrong direction that have seen this issue.

The lack of ubiquity seems to be an issue when remastering ubuntu based install dvds.

To be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sure if other bits (gparted I think maybe one) needs including.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, CFE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2020 04:36 #156421 by CFE
Replied by CFE on topic Linux Mint ISO with RTAI and RT
Hi Beagle,

Thank you for your comments. I agree, let the rest of the world wake up while we finish up work and wait their replies.

I must say Tommy has put a lot of effort in and it looks like it's all worthwhile, if these little glitches are sorted out then it will be a great package to run a plasma cutter (or any other machine).

Cheers, Peter & Tim
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, BeagleBrainz

More
03 Feb 2020 10:59 #156432 by tommylight
Thank you all for not waking me up ! :)
Beagle is right, the remastering software will remove ubiquity always, no matter what.
I am on the phone so i can not verify this, but it should go something like this:
Boot from usb, enable source code and the partner or other repos as there are 2 on the software sources page from the administration menu ( brain fried from to much math last night ), install ubiquity-frontend-gtk ( thank you Beagle ) , use that to install to HDD.
Or you can use DD, but that might need editing the /etc/fstab to make the hdd RW intstead of RO, like so
Dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdx
Check the names of usb and hdd with
Sudo fdisk -l
The following user(s) said Thank You: CFE

More
03 Feb 2020 12:19 - 03 Feb 2020 14:29 #156435 by BeagleBrainz
No luck with ubiquity.....crashes after copying files :(

Maybe this might be a better util to remaster ?
www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/how-to-cus...u-or-linux-mint.html

Did a quick run thru, installed mc, gftp & geany during the customisation process.
Booted the created iso installed Mint (ubiquity is still there) and all went well.

The only issue I had was the resolv.conf file in the chroot environment, that was soon sorted.

OK it's 1:25am and I think I should go to bed, The Butter Dog (The Beagle) is staring at me telling me it's bedtime...hopefully work doesn't call me in this morning :(

I'll give it a shot with the Linuxcnc bits later........

This link gives some info about resolv.conf (pretty sure you can work it out from here)
linoxide.com/linux-how-to/create-custom-...-image-cubic-ubuntu/
Last edit: 03 Feb 2020 14:29 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, CFE

More
03 Feb 2020 18:34 #156457 by tommylight
Well it happened! I fell off the truck !
Sadly i have to inform you all that there is no video of the incident, so you have nothing to laugh at.
Luckily, minor scratches and injured ego, for a while...
I will try to check things when i get home and report findings, it seems that the release name has changed during iso creation, hence the update errors.
More error hunting ensues...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, CFE

More
03 Feb 2020 18:44 #156460 by Clive S
Good job the plasma machine didn't fall on top of you otherwise the ISO will never get finished. :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Feb 2020 21:25 #156476 by CFE
Replied by CFE on topic Linux Mint ISO with RTAI and RT
Ouch Tommy, I hope you are alright !

Again thank you all for the efforts you put in, for us non-Linux wizards it will be difficult to get it up and running. We are going to make some chips in the machine shop and wait patiently until we have some directions on how to install the Linux Mint/LinuxCNC package. We are pretty keen to get it up and running now that we had a taste of the GUI !

Cheers, Peter & Tim
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Feb 2020 23:33 #156483 by BeagleBrainz
Tommy,
I've run thru using cubic and have generated a successful iso (only tested in virtual box).
Included a RT only kernel and most recent 2.9 linuxcnc.
The only issue i had was with booting, entropy issue in VBox, but holding down shift key shorts that.
Went thru the whole install procedure, again in VBox, all went well. Ran a sim of axis and it all seems to be a ok.

This is helpful in sorting out booting the iso
bugs.launchpad.net/cubic/+bug/1859531

More
04 Feb 2020 12:20 #156495 by tommylight
I am good, no limbs have fallen off, yet ! :)
A momentary lapse of concentration resulted in a sideways dive of 1.1M ( nearly 4 feet for the imperials out there ).
@Beagle,
The ISO's boot perfectly as i did test them on a lot of USB's and PC's. There are a lot of undocumented issues while creating an ISO, mostly due to missing live-boot and some other stuff, but all are easily fixable.
In this case the RT version ended up with a changed release name so updates are not working.
I am really sorry for not having time to look into it, been hectic last few days.
As soon as i get my mints on the main PC i will have a look and report back.
Stay tunned....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
04 Feb 2020 13:12 #156497 by tommylight
Found a fix for the update/upgrade/install from USB issues, added to original post all the relevant info, checked ad double checked on one of my laptops, it works.
Will do more testing on more hardware when i get a chance.
Regards and thank you all.
Tom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, BeagleBrainz

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds