Linux Mint ISO with RTAI and RT

More
12 Feb 2020 22:46 - 12 Feb 2020 22:50 #157221 by BeagleBrainz
Glad to hear about the Multiboot thing, thanks.
Never tried to install Mint without an Internet connection, does it usually work ?

Working on rtai now, need to test and probably do a bit of polishing.

Just remembered need to add mesaflash and firmware to all editions. :S stupid me
Last edit: 12 Feb 2020 22:50 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2020 23:02 #157226 by Clive S

Just remembered need to add mesaflash and firmware to all editions. :S stupid me

Does this mean the the two versions I checked (I mean downloaded and tested) needs to have mesaflash etc. to be added.

If so I don't mind checking and downloading again to see if a simpleton can get it to install.B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Feb 2020 23:17 #157227 by tommylight

Never tried to install Mint without an Internet connection, does it usually work ?

Yes it does, always.

More
12 Feb 2020 23:24 #157230 by BeagleBrainz
Tommy - OK That's something I'll have to look into
Clive - I'll get round to mesa flash shortly, it'll just be some extra packages, overall the install will be the same. Once I get the mesaflash packaging sorted I'll post instructions on how to install.

Once again Many Thanks Gents
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Feb 2020 23:52 #157234 by tommylight

Does this mean the the two versions I checked (I mean downloaded and tested) needs to have mesaflash etc. to be added.

Yeahh, just checked and my RT version does not have it. :silly:
I would venture a guess, the RTAI version does not either !

Just a thought, but Beagle's previous version was perfect for normal use and everything worked properly.
What would it take to make it a release ? Oh yes, the 2.8, not 2.9! Beagle, are you reading this ? :)
!!! ( booting from multisystem usb did not work, that is my thing, no one else needs or uses that )!!!

More
13 Feb 2020 00:16 - 13 Feb 2020 03:57 #157236 by BeagleBrainz
Yeah I'm reading it ;)

Having a problem with rtai, have an issue when stating linuxcnc, having lockups when linuxcnc splash screen shows, same issue when the splash screen is removed form ini file. No logs written as I have to restart with hard reset. Was working last night when I did a fresh install of standard Mint and added packages.

Ok Quick status update:
1: Have a iso that works but without qtvcp screens
2: Booted live and installed packages for qtvcp (iso not update yet), sample screens run, but having trouble with designer & plug ins, so designer wont start, with the plugins.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 03:57 by BeagleBrainz.

More
13 Feb 2020 09:54 #157271 by BeagleBrainz
Hmmmm Not completely happy with RTAI, just can't seem to get designer to work for qtvcp. If I build the packages myself from git designer is ok, but running a sim config causes the machine to freeze.

I wish Andy would chime in.....maybe he would have an answer as we need a real guru.

And regarding installing without a internet connection.
Booted and installed on VBox with the VBox LAN cable unplugged, install went smoothly. Will try on real hardware over the weekend, work has decided to give me a shift for Friday, thereby interrupting my iso creating.

More
13 Feb 2020 10:47 #157276 by tommylight
For normal use by normal Linuxcnc users, there is no need for qtvcp and designers to be installed.
I think the best solution is to have an RT version you already made without designers, just plain Mint with RT and Linuxcnc for public use, and the same with RTAI.
Either way, anyone that needs the designer can use "the other iso" or install as needed.
So having the plain vanila versions for public use is a priority as the existing versions are not supported anymore, hence causing issues for new users.
Again, the ISO created by Beagle ( without qtvcp ) works perfectly and should be made public as is. Another reason is that the parallel port got to be endangered spieces so the RTAI version gets used less and less.

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds