Linux Mint ISO with RTAI and RT

More
05 Feb 2020 08:52 #156560 by Clive S

One thing to check regarding the installer crash, check the BIOS if the hard drive is set as AHCI.

Tom the bios was set as IDE I have changed it to AHCI and will try again in the morning B) and report back.

I never had this issue, just read several posts on the net claiming it fixes the crashing.

Ok. When set to AHCI there was a slight difference in that a window came up to allow or change the partition size and I told it to use the whole disk. BUT it still crashed at the install file part with the same message "installer crashed" :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2020 10:04 #156572 by tommylight
Put some bad words here.....
The situation is a bit messed up as i had to remove the laptops, pc's and most of the tools from the shop to my bedroom due to moisture, so i need some time to set up some hardware for testing. Also have to train the new owners of the plasma machine, build another plasma machine at 3X2 meters cut area, another rotary tube cutter and maybe, just maybe a heavy duty router at 1X0.8 meters work envelope.
Oh joy ! :) :) :)

More
05 Feb 2020 10:14 #156577 by BeagleBrainz
When you get a chance have a look at the RT iso I linked to, so far install straight forward in a virtual machine.

You need an apprentice ? hahahaha

More
05 Feb 2020 10:29 #156580 by tommylight

You need an apprentice ? hahahaha

One ????
I need 4 and most probably all of them will be rolling on the floor by the end of day from chasing me !
I will give it a try for sure, thank you for everything.
FYI the RTAI version is a full backup of an existing machine and it starts Linuxcnc automaticaly. Maybe that will work, but i will test that later for sure.

More
06 Feb 2020 11:08 - 09 Feb 2020 09:47 #156624 by BeagleBrainz
Just used my iso burnt to dvd to install.

Installation process is as per an official Linux Mint installation medium.

Next test will be to install on the core 2 duo iMac I found on the side of the road.

Seems this kernel, or this particualr machine, still requires the use of pressing shift on the "Regenerating SSL" message.

But I can say I am typing this from said installation on my T530.

My conclusion would be that Cubic is the way to go for remastering.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 09:47 by BeagleBrainz.

More
06 Feb 2020 11:36 #156629 by tommylight
Cubic ?
I am more than willing to try that as i have waisted to much time chasing gremlins using pinguybuilder, it started by creating a 38KB iso image !
Tested it again last two nights, it just removes ubiquity no matter what i do.
I did try the chroot vesrion with 17.3 and 18.1 and none of them worked.
At least with this i got it to boot properly always. And since that is what i use mostly the install procces never got tested. I did test it with DD and it works and boots properly, but that would require using the Live version after install to grow the partition with Gparted, and that is not for the faint of heart as any misstake results in loss of evrrything on the HDD/SSD.
Side note, last night used pinguybuilder and today i could not update or upgrade anymore, for some reason it removed the /etc/apt folder completely! It does that during image creation and simce that failed, it never put the folder back. It also added all the useless repositories so i had to remove those.
Beagle and all, thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, BeagleBrainz

More
06 Feb 2020 12:04 - 06 Feb 2020 21:38 #156633 by BeagleBrainz
I linked to Cubic here.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...d-rt?start=20#156435

It's pretty easy to use, once it's gone thru it's setup and file copying and such, you get dropped into a chroot and can install and remove packages at will (within reason).

I had a play and removed libreoffice and some "fluff" I reckon a cnc machine doesn't need, ie: transmission, libreoffice, hexchat and rhythm, just to see how it copes with removing software. All went well.

The only issues I came across were the DNS (resolv.conf) and the config for isolinux but I'm sure I linked to solutions for them. Initial reading of the iso image can take a few minutes longer than what you expect.

If I were to rate this I would give if 107 102.78 Pimply Faced Youth Jnr Admins out of 109.

Cubic creates a iso that is not a hybrid ie: issues booting from USB
easy fix is to use isohybrid /path/to/iso/image
Last edit: 06 Feb 2020 21:38 by BeagleBrainz.

More
07 Feb 2020 11:21 #156694 by tommylight
I gave Cubic a try, several images, none of them boot complaining of not finding the boot media or fail at busybox. Editing grub, adding live-boot and anything i could throw at it did not work.
Will try to find some time to download Beagle's ISO and give it a run.
Got me thinking, it takes about 20 minutes to install Mint, install the "kona" kernel and Linuxcnc, reboot and make chips, as described here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
So why bother wasting so much time making this work ????
1 reason is that i use USB to test computers if they are fit for machine use, a lot, and that was my motivation to make the bootable ISO's that can actually run a machine. Done ! Never did try the install procedure.
I did add some more dependencies on the first post that might just work, to be checked and rechecked, if time permits.

More
07 Feb 2020 20:51 - 07 Feb 2020 21:01 #156714 by BeagleBrainz
I'll address some of your issues.
First not finding boot medium:
The iso produced via cubic is not a hybrid image and will only be bootable via a dvd therefore to boot from usb you need to run isohybird:
Image info prior to running isohybrid
rmurphy@ThinkPad-T530 ~/mint19cnc $ file linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.040933-mate-64bit.iso 
linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.040933-mate-64bit.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'Linux Mint 19.2.0 2020.02.04 MAT' (bootable)

Running isohybrid:
rmurphy@ThinkPad-T530 ~/mint19cnc $ isohybrid linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.040933-mate-64bit.iso 
isohybrid: Warning: more than 1024 cylinders: 1987
isohybrid: Not all BIOSes will be able to boot this device

After running isohybrid:
rmurphy@ThinkPad-T530 ~/mint19cnc $ file linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.040933-mate-64bit.iso 
linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.040933-mate-64bit.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data (DOS/MBR boot sector) 'Linux Mint 19.2.0 2020.02.04 MAT' (bootable); partition 1 : ID=0x17, active, start-CHS (0x0,0,1), end-CHS (0x3ff,63,32), startsector 0, 4069376 sectors

Now we have an image bootable via usb.

Failing at busybox.
This is due to isolinux.cfg naming the initrd as initrd.lz where as the rt kernel has an initrd named initrd.gz. Editing grub doesn't help
the fix to that is by editing cubic.conf the section to be edited is as follows;
[Options]
boot_configurations = boot/grub/grub.cfg,boot/grub/loopback.cfg
to
[Options]
boot_configurations = boot/grub/grub.cfg,boot/grub/loopback.cfg,isolinux/isolinux.cfg

Then after exiting the chroot terminal you'll see on the next page that has the "ISO Boot Configurations" tab, under that tab on the left is an extra entry that lets you edit /isolinux/isolinux.cfg change an reference from initrd.lz to initrd.gz After fixing that issue click on next.
Once cubic has done it's thing and all finished you need to run isohybrid as mentioned before on the created iso image, dd to your USB drive and it's all good.

Some little extras:
DNS Issues
Whilst in the chroot environmet you may have issues with dns resolution the fix is as follows.
Source of fix is at bugs.launchpad.net/cubic/+bug/1723568/comments/2

The link /etc/resolv.conf points to /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf.
But stub-resolv.conf does not exist.

Outside the chroot environment, do the following...
$ sudo ln -sr /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf

To verify, inside the chroot environment, do the following...
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
$ ping google.com

Prevent gimp from opening cnc help pdfs
Whilst in the chroot environment
open /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop with nano
on the MimeType line remove reference to "application/pdf;"
save
Then run the following whilst still in chroot
sudo update-mime
Last edit: 07 Feb 2020 21:01 by BeagleBrainz.

More
08 Feb 2020 04:49 - 09 Feb 2020 09:42 #156742 by BeagleBrainz
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 09:42 by BeagleBrainz.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds