Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

More
14 Apr 2020 00:58 #163911 by tommylight
No go, for some reason histogram says non realtime.

This is the worst latency i have ever seen, but as it is insisting on being non realtime, it is to be expected.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2020 01:53 #163913 by BeagleBrainz
Nope, I built the rt_prrempt kernels on Mint. The 5.x kernels didn’t have as good latency.
From memory there are issues when installing the kernel headers from a Debian package on Mint due to some of the build dependencies.
Some all the kernels were built on the version of Mint they were going to run on. As were the Linuxcnc packages.
As there was no support likely for a Linuxcnc Mint repo and I didn’t want to keep answering the same questions about updates and building Linuxcnc, even tho everything but downloading the sources was either installed or available to download via a script, I thought fuck it, and pulled it.
I was beginning to wonder how many actual cnc machines were actually being controlled via Mint as people seemed more concerned with being able to update.
The kernel I used was getting the best results on the hardware I had available, that why I used the version I did.
Personally I’m still using Stretch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Apr 2020 04:34 #165349 by BeagleBrainz
Ok a quick update.

I've got my hands on a domain and VPS. The plan is to setup a repo for the images and release a "plain vanilla" ISO with Linuxcnc (no extras added), ATM this with more than likely be MATE with RT_PREEMPT with Linucnc 2.8.
The intent is to build Linuxcnc from source and update the packages on a weekly basis. Please allow a few days for this to be setup, a new image created, and the server sorted.
The new RT_PREEMPT packages will be compatible with the previous XFCE & MATE versions. RTAI support will be on hold until a new kernel is nailed down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, emilvv, rodw, berntmartin

More
24 Apr 2020 06:26 #165358 by rodw
I've recently found Digital Ocean and set up a VPS on one of their droplets which is all of $5 a month.

More
24 Apr 2020 08:14 #165361 by BeagleBrainz
The company I've gone with is about the same.

Digital Ocean has some great tutorials.

More
24 Apr 2020 08:40 #165362 by Clive S

Rob is it possible to get in touch with you some how.

More
24 Apr 2020 10:25 #165367 by rodw

Rob is it possible to get in touch with you some how.

Rob, if you contact me here: www.vmn.com.au/contact-us

I can put you in touch with Clive (if you are OK talking to a Pom!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
24 Apr 2020 10:35 #165370 by tommylight
Just in case anyone has a sudden urge :
tomberisha.com/

More
24 Apr 2020 11:39 #165376 by rodw

Just in case anyone has a sudden urge :
tomberisha.com/

A man after my own heart. Its pretty obsolete now but I registered rodwebster.com.au and spent some time getting to #1 on Google. There were two in the world sharing my name. One was a Scottish folk singer and the other we the CEO of a Aussie mining company. He was hard to wheel!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Apr 2020 11:47 #165379 by BeagleBrainz
Not a problem. I'm half Irish (southern) & half Pom so you can imagine the fights in my head hahaha

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds