Custom Mint-19.2 with Linuxcnc

More
03 Apr 2020 03:11 #162528 by jbraun
I grabbed the last Xfce-RTAI iso before it was taken down. No real problems afaict -- Thank You ! It's running on an old Intel Atom Di510mo. May need to switch monitor as backplot look a bit stretched?
What's the shell script on the desktop do exactly, linuxcnc seems to be all there except for software repositories in sources list ? I haven't tested on real hardware but it looks complete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2020 04:46 #162530 by BeagleBrainz
It will install all the dependencies required to build linuxcnc from git sources, but it's up to you to get the sources from git. Hence the name "Install Build Deps".
All changes and info, including a link to JT's very informative pages on building Linuxcnc are in respin.txt , there is a shortcut on the desktop to open that file.

No, no repos for Linuxcnc. As the buildbot builds on a debian system, there are a few issues attempting to install those packages on a Mint system as far as I've seen.

As for RTAI there are problems with UEFI systems as mentioned. So I'm in 2 minds whether to put them back up.

More
03 Apr 2020 04:50 - 03 Apr 2020 04:50 #162531 by sprintertrd
"As the buildbot builds on a debian system, there are a few issues attempting to install those packages on a Mint system as far as I've seen"

For a Debian version of Mint you could use LMDE3 or the Current beta LMDE4
They uses Cinnamon desktop though.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 04:50 by sprintertrd.

More
03 Apr 2020 05:59 #162534 by BeagleBrainz

"As the buildbot builds on a debian system, there are a few issues attempting to install those packages on a Mint system as far as I've seen"

For a Debian version of Mint you could use LMDE3 or the Current beta LMDE4
They uses Cinnamon desktop though.

Why ?
Stretch & Buster have that covered.

Plus LMDE is a rolling edition.

More
03 Apr 2020 07:35 - 03 Apr 2020 23:54 #162540 by BeagleBrainz
Welcome to a respin of Linux Mint 19.2 XFCE

• New 3rd April 2020 20:15
  • Add efi=runtime to kernel cmd-line for UEFI
  • When installed on UEFI only systems on first boot modify /etc/default/grub
  • Change this line from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
  • to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash efi=runtime"
  • then run
    sudo update-grub
  • Do not do this if booting and installing on BIOS or legacy boot systems

Please use win32diskimager if using a windows machine to write image to disk.
In Linux dd is recommended.

Unlike other images I posted this has been created using a virgin install of Mint 19.2 on real hardware.
To apply updates to fresh install open a terminal and use the following, this should not upgrade the kernel.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Iso Image:
No longer being distributed

MD5Sum:
No longer being distributed

Many thanks to all who have downloaded, test, reported bugs and helped.

All issues and support should be directed to this thread.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...t-19-2-with-linuxcnc
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 23:54 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
03 Apr 2020 11:42 - 03 Apr 2020 11:44 #162568 by sprintertrd
"Why ?"

No real reason other than I have heard some people don't want to use Ubuntu based distros

I no expert with Linux, It was only a suggestion.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 11:44 by sprintertrd.

More
03 Apr 2020 12:05 #162571 by BeagleBrainz

"Why ?"

No real reason other than I have heard some people don't want to use Ubuntu based distros

I no expert with Linux, It was only a suggestion.

Well they can use the official Linuxcnc created Debian images.
To tell the truth I use Debian Stretch for my Mill. I use Mint for my Desktops & Laptops. Seems that those coming from Windows find Mint an easier experience than Debian, which is more or less correct when it comes to hardware support.
Each to their own, but I see no reason for another Debian based image with a more resource intensive desktop.
If someone was to create LMDE images, well good on them.
In reality doing 4 separate images is enough for me. Tho I would like to get involved with the build bot and have updated packages available for bionic, but I do wonder once 2.8 is made stable whether that would be necessary.

More
03 Apr 2020 13:49 #162580 by jbraun
Sorry but you need to talk a bit slower for this user.
The shell script is only needed if wanting to update/upgrade from the linuxcnc included on the iso? Am I understanding that correctly?

Mint with Xfce is my daily driver so I was happy to find this without having to follow a bunch of steps I don't fully understand. Easier is better.

More
03 Apr 2020 14:01 #162581 by BeagleBrainz
Yep, if you want you can delete the desktop shortcut, the script will still be in $HOME/utils/bin if you ever want to run it.

More
03 Apr 2020 17:40 #162598 by mcurtis
I recently installed the March 8th RT_PREMPT by switching the MB to legacy mode (thank you for the effort) to get around the uefi issue. I haven't got very far configuring the system. Wondering if there is any real advantage to reinstall with April 3rd version, in UEFI mode enabled on MB.
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds