Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO

More
04 Nov 2020 23:54 - 05 Nov 2020 00:00 #188354 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO
Ok here we go.

First you are going to have to reinstall Mint using the ISO I created.

Make a note of the of the partitions mentioned after "The following partitions are going to be formatted"

Make sure that "Require my password to login" is checked and "Encrypt my home folder" is unchecked

Select "Continue Testing". This will bring you back to the Desktop DO NOT REBOOT YET

Next we need to edit a file in the termnial as temporary measure to be able to boot:
cd /target
sudo mcedit boot/grub/grub.cfg
Look for the line shown in the picture below, where the cursor (white block) is add the intel bit that you have added before. When you are at the right spot the top of the screen where the numbers are will match.
Press F2 & save.
Press F9 then select quit.
Do not run update-grub

You can now close the terminal and reboot, make sure that you remove the USB stick and leave it removed.
Now if you have followed the instructions your computer will boot into the new installation on the SSD.

Once booted into the new install on the SSD follow the instructions here regarding editing.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-iso?start=50#188040, I have fixed the typo in the post so all the instructions are good to go.

I tested these instructions on a Virtual Machine using this ISO cnc.beaglebrainz.net/cdimage/cnc-19.3.0-...lus-uspace-64bit.iso. If you get a message about mcedit not existing something really really bad has happened.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 00:00 by BeagleBrainz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2020 18:27 #188418 by Muzzer
Replied by Muzzer on topic Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO
Good stuff - that worked and I have got a machine that boots up into Mint without any messing about. Thanks for persevering with me!

I'd like to say I knew what was going on there. At least now I know a bit more about grub and editing.

Seems to me that Mint is making life a bit easier for Linux noobs compared to 3-4 years ago. Can't be a bad thing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
05 Nov 2020 23:34 #188463 by BeagleBrainz
Basically the Linux Mint installer creates a partition for installation and mounts the partition at /target. This is the partition on the SSD that you boot to. After the installer has finished this partition is left mounted and accessible, ie any changes you make to files & directories below /target are kept. Due to various reasons, mostly to make things simple, running update-grub wont work. If actual fact you have edited the file update-grub edits. The other file, /etc/default/grub, is read by update-grub and the options in that file are used by update-grub to write /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Simply /etc/defult/grub contains options & /boot/grub/grub.cfg is used by grub ( the boot loader ) when the system boots.

Directly editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and making a mistake can cause your system to become unbootable. Any errors in /etc/default/grub are hopefully picked up by update-grub and no changes made to the file grub reads when it boots. That is the theory, tho mistakes can still get through.

Actually Mint has been pretty good generally for new Linux users for many years, it all depends on how much effort the user wants to put in.
I dare say if you had used Mint from your early days of using a computer and never used Windows switching to Windows would be a horrible experience.
I'd say the same would be true for MacOS only users going to Windows or Windows only users going to MacOS.
It's not an inherent issue of Linux itself, it's users being confronted by the unexpected. Applications having names that users aren't familiar with is confusing.
When you think about about it how many Windows users would know much more than being able to start the computer, login, use a few apps then logout ? How many Windows users go through the process of installing Windows ?

More
10 Nov 2020 15:00 - 22 Nov 2020 08:23 #188885 by hottabich
Replied by hottabich on topic Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO
cnc.beaglebrainz.net/cdimage/cnc-19.3.0-...lus-uspace-64bit.iso
Please update the link. Thanks! How to download this image?
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 08:23 by hottabich.

More
25 Nov 2020 06:15 #190245 by BeagleBrainz
Please refer to First post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hottabich

More
25 Nov 2020 16:04 #190264 by hottabich

Please refer to First post.

I tried everything before asking. And you can sew into linuxcnc QtDesinger mit plugins. I think a lot of people will like it. Thanks for attention!

More
25 Nov 2020 16:46 #190268 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Linuxcnc Mint 19.3 ISO
@hottabich
I think Beagle was referring to this edit in the first post:

therefore I am not hosting the Mint ISO any longer, as I can't supply the support required nor updates either to the image nor packages.

So maybe try the official Buster ISO
The following user(s) said Thank You: hottabich

More
26 Nov 2020 09:18 - 26 Nov 2020 09:19 #190321 by Aciera
@beagle
Maybe remove the links since we don't like to read but like to click on the goodies first.;)

Thanks for all your efforts and time.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2020 09:19 by Aciera.

More
26 Nov 2020 19:04 #190352 by hottabich

@hottabich
I think Beagle was referring to this edit in the first post:

therefore I am not hosting the Mint ISO any longer, as I can't supply the support required nor updates either to the image nor packages.

So maybe try the official Buster ISO

I have the official Buster ISO installed. Desinger works but fails. Thought to try Mint. Not out of love for reading and not from ignorance of English did not finish reading. I'm sorry.
Attachments:

More
27 Nov 2020 04:58 #190396 by Aciera

Not out of love for reading and not from ignorance of English did not finish reading. I'm sorry.

Wasn't directed at you specifically. Most of us users tend to work like that.

Desinger works but fails.

What do you mean by that? I just installed qt creater on the official buster ISO and had trouble to get the LinuxCNC widgets running. Seems to work fine now.

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds