LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

More
10 Dec 2023 08:37 #287743 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

This image can be downloaded from here
drive.google.com/file/d/16kKamxMKPdYAeJp...KLf/view?usp=sharing
At first glance everything seems to work regularly and the lowest value that did not show the "Unexpected realtime delay" message was
latency-test 12000
Trying your image now. ... what username and pw does it take?

user: pi
pwd: raspberry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2023 15:46 #287762 by chuckp47
Replied by chuckp47 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just feeling my way into this. I don't have a magic solution. I think we can agree that the new image still doesn't talk to the 7c81. I will start to follow the emc mailing lists.

More
15 Dec 2023 08:02 #288198 by flyingbrick
Bought my first Pi yesterday from Core electronics in Australia. Considering the fact i live in New Zealand, the UNDER 24 hours from order to delivery was just astonishing- cant recommend that company highly enough- and nobody in NZ had the 8gig Pi5, so it was even more unexpected that things might go this smoothly :-D

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Dec 2023 11:49 #288318 by rufino
Replied by rufino on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
I would like some help installing linuxcnc for raspberry pi 5. How to configure the hal file to access gpio in version 5. Does anyone have a working model hal file for the raspberry pi5 and could share it with me?

More
16 Dec 2023 14:00 #288326 by cornholio
Since there have been so many changes in gpio access between the RPi 4 and the RPi 5 ATM Ethernet would appear to be the only option. Or PCIe might work but there is not a great deal of information regarding the interface on the RPi5.
Until a SPI driver becomes available mine has gone back into its box and in a drawer.

More
18 Dec 2023 11:02 #288477 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I would like some help installing linuxcnc for raspberry pi 5. How to configure the hal file to access gpio in version 5. Does anyone have a working model hal file for the raspberry pi5 and could share it with me?

Have you tried what I wrote here?

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-pi-5?start=0#285243
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
18 Dec 2023 11:34 #288479 by cornholio
Sorry mate I didn't realise that you got the hal_gpio module working.

More
21 Dec 2023 06:33 #288732 by flyingbrick
Performance of the 5 seems amazing so far when stress tested and latency checked. Irrelevant as I have a mesa card but damn it seems like an easy solution for most people so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
21 Dec 2023 08:59 #288738 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
Which method did you use to install Linuxcnc?
Have you noticed any issues with screen resolution?

More
22 Dec 2023 08:50 #288812 by flyingbrick
Hi Rod.

I used the iso a few pages back together with the raspberry pi image installer. I have never done any of this before so was surprised that it all just seemed to work without any issues.

From what I can see, resolution etc is working as it should, but please let me know if there is anything specifically that I can check for you.

My opinion is of limited value as I have not tried to drive a machine with the pi yet (card is stuck in customs) but over all it seems like a fantastic solution.

I understand that latency etc should not be a primary concern when using a mesa card HOWEVER I can tell you after trying four computers (with all the usual tricks) and getting poor usability and poor latency, this pi appearing to just simply work is 10/10.

Again, let me know if there is anything you would like me to check.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds