LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

More
22 Dec 2023 10:52 #288817 by cornholio
If it's Rod's image can you change the resolution and does it identify the display\monitor? From what I've seen it's stuck at a single resolution and it can't identify the dsiaplay as the RPi4 images can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2023 19:57 #288840 by flyingbrick
Hi mate.

Yes, this seems to function fine, resolution changes when settings modified as per this image attached.

I am using image Lcnc210_pi5 within image_pi5_rt.zip shared earlier by elovalvo

Attachments:

More
22 Dec 2023 20:00 #288842 by flyingbrick
If you need me to install rods image to check the same thing, this is no problem.

More
22 Dec 2023 20:20 #288843 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

If it's Rod's image can you change the resolution and does it identify the display\monitor? From what I've seen it's stuck at a single resolution and it can't identify the dsiaplay as the RPi4 images can.

Yes, my image uses debian so it won't have the pi specific menu options.. Some settings can be changed using  sudo menuconfig.
But if you could try adding
video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D 
to cmdline.txt or equivalent, It would be helpful. If it works, I can add it to the installer.

Its still a pain because the Pi 5 needs to be at the bleeding edge of the raspberry kernel and the PREEMPT_RT is lagging behind that.

More
22 Dec 2023 20:59 #288844 by cornholio

Hi mate.

Yes, this seems to function fine, resolution changes when settings modified as per this image attached.

I am using image Lcnc210_pi5 within image_pi5_rt.zip shared earlier by elovalvo

Ok looks like that might be based on a official Raspberry Pi image. Is there just one panel at the top ?

More
22 Dec 2023 22:26 - 22 Dec 2023 22:27 #288850 by flyingbrick
Yeap. I have one of these on the way

shop.pimoroni.com/products/nvme-base?variant=41219587178579

Edit. I find this the most awkward forum when replying to people.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2023 22:27 by flyingbrick.

More
23 Dec 2023 00:48 #288853 by cornholio
The following user(s) said Thank You: flyingbrick

More
23 Dec 2023 01:00 - 23 Dec 2023 01:08 #288854 by cornholio

Yes, my image uses debian so it won't have the pi specific menu options.. Some settings can be changed using  sudo menuconfig.
But if you could try adding
video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D 
to cmdline.txt or equivalent, It would be helpful. If it works, I can add it to the installer.

Its still a pain because the Pi 5 needs to be at the bleeding edge of the raspberry kernel and the PREEMPT_RT is lagging behind that.

Latest RPi production kerenl (2023-12-05) is Linux kernel 6.1.63 for the most recent Raspberry OS Image,latest 6.1 series RT is 6.1.67, so it would not seem that the RPi 5 does not need a "bleeding edge" kernel, it's just there is a mismatch between latest RPi production kernel and the latest rt-preempt. If anything the preferred RPi kernel is behind the rt-preempt patch.
www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-s...spberry-pi-os-64-bit

In actual fact the latest 64 bit image is the same for all models. After running a self (same recipe) made image for the RPi5 and using the official image and installing a RT kernel & linuxcnc, the official image appears to be a more "smoother & integrated" experience for the 5, tho I did change from Wayland to X so I could run a xfce desktop. The pre made images for the 4 are fine.

Although in saying that Rod if you have sources of info to the contrary I'd be quite happy to see it and amend my answer.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2023 01:08 by cornholio.

More
23 Dec 2023 02:15 #288859 by flyingbrick
Yeah it was a toss up between the pineberry and the one I got. I chose mine because it was cheaper and had a cool design on the back haha, plus the company is a bit older.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
23 Dec 2023 04:47 #288862 by flyingbrick
Re:one panel at the top.. not entirely sure what you mean but I think you are right

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds