Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

06 Sep 2023 06:22

How can I optimize latency for LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4B with Debian12?

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

drive.google.com/file/d/1i4flcwKPysOzlks.../view?usp=drive_link
user:cnc
passwd:linuxcnc

has 2 cores isolated.

cmdline.txt is here (can change to isolate up 3 cores)
/boot/broadcom/cmdline.txt

config.txt you can turn wifi off here
/boot/broadcom/config.txt

Just reboot after editing files as sudo

Is built form ofiicial Rpi kernel sources with kernel.org real time patch. Pretty much Debian 12 with an xfce desktop and Linuxcnc 2.9 pre-installed. Looking or those willing to test. I've only got a RP400 to test with that has a slightly faster core compared to a Raspberry Pi-4B.

Are you planning on software stepping via GPIO ?
If you are going to use an external motion control board for stepping you will only need a servo thread and latency is pretty relaxed.
06 Sep 2023 04:50

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
Release: 12
Codename: bookworm

uname -a
Linux armcnc 6.1.0-10-rt-arm64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 6.1.38-1 (2023-07-14) aarch64 GNU/Linux
06 Sep 2023 04:45

I am trying to install Debian12 and LinuxCNC on a Raspberry Pi 4B. Apart from the system being Debian12, I have followed the guidelines in the documentation for all other settings.
apt update
apt upgrade
apt install linux-image-rt-arm64 linux-headers-rt-arm64
nano /etc/default/raspi-extra-cmdline
processor.max_cstate=1 isolcpus=2,3
nano /etc/default/raspi-firmware-custom
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d-pi4
disable_overscan=1
dtparam=audio=off
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
autologin-user=matt
autologin-user-timeout=0
update-initramfs -u -k all
apt install task-xfce-desktop
sudo reboot

After the configuration was complete, I used the LinuxCNC test software to conduct a latency test, and the results are as follows:

I'm not quite sure what caused the issue. Can you provide some guidance and suggestions?

05 Sep 2023 12:29

RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

Cornholio: That seems better in terms of general responsiveness.

dtoverlay=disable-wifi was already commented out in config.txt so WiFi was enabled but it ignored wpa_supplicant.conf and I had to setup the WiFi from menu-config.

It didn't auto-login as cnc but setting autologin-user=cnc in the "[Seat:*]" section of the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf does the trick.

There's still no raspi-config installed or available in the repos but maybe that's a generic bookworm change.

There's no dhcpcd installed so setting a static IP for the ethernet port (used for talking to my 7i76E in my use case) involves more Linux hackery than a Google search for setting a static IP on a Pi would suggest. A simple old school edit of /etc/network/interfaces sorts it.

When the screen is woken from screensaver, it asks for the cnc users password.

On the Good News front, running up linuxcnc worked and I could jog my steppers (I'm testing on my Lathe project which is currently just a pile of electronics and wires on the bench).

Is this feedback useful? I'm assuming the aim is to produce a RPi bookworm image that works for most folk.

Thanks for the feedback.
The screen saver thing is easily fixed in power settings (I can look into changing that without having to boot the image). For your Mesa card you have to give it a manual config, as the interface can't connect to a DHCP server(there should only be the motion card and computer directly connected). I thought network manager was installed for configuring the Network (It is set to install via the build config). I'll check that for sure. The setup should disable wifi & bluetooth during the build process.
I've never been a fan of auto login for Linux.
Raspberry config is a Rasp OS thing, this is based on Debian, apart from the kernel sources which are pulled from the RPi github page (the standard kernel has patches one of which is to work with the overlays), RT patches are from kernel.org. One thing that does annoy we, which I should fix, is that sudo doesn't require a user password. You might as well be running as root.
05 Sep 2023 09:50 - 05 Sep 2023 10:33

Best ARM SBC to use with LinuxCNC

Category: Computers and OS's

I would say the Orange Pi 5, although I haven't tested the SPI I don't see a reason it wouldn't work. I've tried the RPi4 before but I've never used it, way too slow, no fun to work with.
Eventually managed to use the Orange Pi 5:

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/39371-res...cnc?start=330#268433

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/48079-can...cnc?start=220#273771

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/48079-can...cnc?start=190#272208

​Guglielmi even managed to build a GPIO driver:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/48079-can...cnc?start=200#273554

Edit: After reading cakeslob's post I see that Remora indeed has a Raspberry Pi specific SPI driver. Remora over ethernet should work. Software stepping with the GPIO pins is a possibility too.
05 Sep 2023 03:46
Replied by rodw on topic Official 2.9 Release ?

Official 2.9 Release ?

Category: General LinuxCNC Questions

I'm not one of the developers but from what I can see there is 6 issues labelled "2.9 must fix".
I'm trying to contribute 2 things.
1.  A fork of the linuxcnc  installer that uses Debian Bookworm  ref: github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc-live-build
2. A Raspberry Pi  image buiilder that uses Bookworm and the official Pi kernels.

Hopefully #2 can close one or two of those issues.

04 Sep 2023 14:05

I'd leave the BBB out of the equation, anyway they have PRUs that work fine for step generation, but you have to find an old wheezy image of machine kit. Unless you're happy with Wheezy an old version of machinekit (think linuxcnc 2.7 ish) and 512MB ram......

Raspberry Pi is not a bad candidate, well supported, some premade images based of Bookworm being made. The driver Scott has developed seems to be aimed and the RPi.

If Linuxcnc drivers are available for other hardware I'm not so sure.

As far as I know only the RT_PREEMPT is tested on the RPi (tho I maybe wrong).
Linuxcnc-RIO is a good option, also Litex-CNC (ethernet based) is good option. The following errors have all been sorted
04 Sep 2023 12:57 - 04 Sep 2023 13:24

I'm planning to build a very simple, small and cheap 3-axis CNC machine. I recently learned about Remora and RIO, and I would like to try both. My initial plan is to use SPI to talk to Remora or RIO that would generate STEP/DIR signals. Here is a simplified diagram:

I am a bit lost with the choice of the SBC, because there are so many options! The obvious leaders among chip manufacturers and their options for real-time Linux:
  • Broadcom (Raspberry Pi)
    • precompiled PREEMPT_RT kernel
    • Xenomai kernel patch
  • Texas Instruments (e.g. BeagleBone)
    • precompiled PREEMPT_RT kernel
    • Xenomai kernel patch
  • Rockchip
    • PREEMPT_RT kernel patch
  • Allwinner
    • PREEMPT_RT kernel patch
    • Xenomai kernel patch

Maybe I missed something in my research? Let me know. Maybe there are also not so obvious software/hardware options that I have missed. As I understand, RTAI was also ported on ARM at some point, but it's currently unsupported. What would be the best ARM SBC for running LinuxCNC?
04 Sep 2023 12:29
04 Sep 2023 06:33

hi Rodw, right now I don't have my RPI4 at hand, but I checked "uname -a, uname -v", they indicate correctly the kernel version 6.1.46-rt13 but only SMP PREEMPT (not RT), good idea to check by loading only the kernel as a *.deb file, I'll try again tonight, sorry for Cornelius and Cornholio.

I also wanted to ask about the expected latency values in an RPI4B 4Gb for the steps indicated on the Linuxcnc website for kernel installation, I have tried with 6.1.x and 6.4.x and I get values of 100us to 200us, this using debian Bookworm, now using Raspberry OS 64bits documented in another thread on this forum improves incredibly, according to the linuxcnc documentation, 100us forward is not good for software steps, but up to 200us for remora or hostmot mmmmmmm, criteria and opinions are accepted
04 Sep 2023 04:15

Mini wannabe datron build

Category: CNC Machines

Thanks

As it turns out i HAVE a 7i84 although i do not know where it is right now. I did not realise it could "be" a keyboard. My keyboard is 71 keys. (your math is right i think, but it would take all the outputs) This could make things interesting. However, the downside is it costs $80usd, and a raspberry pi 2040 mcu is $6 which makes it less ideal for a future product beyond just my personal machine.

As for the layout, this is a very small panel for a very small machine, so it will naturally not have every single button you fond on a fanuc control. That said, my brother machines had almost nothing either. The DDCS has like 12 or 14 total keys. The touch screen is purely for navigation in linux when required in place of a mouse. The keyboard is a "full" 65% board but i will be rearranging various keys. It will be no worse than just using a pc keyboard as far as number of inputs. The overrides are primarily for feeds on this machine. the spindle almost always lives at full speed. A more idiot proof compromise might be a shift key to change it's function to spindle override. Much like the xyza controls have a middle "rapid" shift button.

7" is a pretty standard size on vmc's. Seimens 808d is 7", I think my brothers had 8". Larger screens are pretty but take too much space and cost way more. A lot of this is modeled on the basic features of the 808d actually.

Vertical keyboard is standard on most machines. Almost all. It sucks if you want to write a novel sure, but it is a necessary evil because there is literally no where else to put it. I drew one up with an angle and it was more trouble than it is worth finding a place for it, wiring, pivots and hinges etc. Simple is best here.
03 Sep 2023 10:17

Here is the boot ready image. Install using rpi-imager or Balena Etcher (which I use)
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bv4ceKAa...4PQGjKfQ?usp=sharing
If there is more than one file look at the timestamps in the file name and grab the latest one.

User: cnc
password cnc:
after boot, run: sudo menu-config to set locale and timezone etc.

As configured you don't need a password to run sudo. If you don't like the thought of this, type
sudo rm -f /etc/sudoers.d/010_*-nopasswd
Notes on the environment:
1. Forked from the offiical Raspberry Pi installer
2. Uses the Raspberry Bookworm Kernel 6.1.46 to match the latest PREEMPT_RT patch
3. XFCE desktop installed
4. isolcpus and other settings included for latency
5. Includes the device tree overlays from the official upstream sources
6 Linuxcnc built from Source. Refer the timestamp on the .img file for date aand time.

Repository here if you wish to build it (Follow steps in instructions.txt)
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/tree/linuxcnc
Lightly tested by Cornholio and myself

If additional optimisations are required, please let me know.
03 Sep 2023 09:44
Replied by rodw on topic Linuxcnc Was mache ich falsch?

Linuxcnc Was mache ich falsch?

Try this image hot off the press.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bv4ceKAa...4PQGjKfQ?usp=sharing
Built for Raspberry Pi 4, Debian 12 (Bookworm), Linuxcnc V 2.9 as of today.
user: cnc
password: cnc

after boot, run: sudo menu-config
to set your locale and time zone. 
Please ket me know how it goes for you. I don't know it the locale changes the prompts displayed by linuxcnc.

I was hoping linuxcnc would adopt this as their official Raspberry Installer for bookworm. It includes the enhancements from getting linuxcnc Aciera linked to.
02 Sep 2023 16:47
Replied by Donno on topic Mesa modbus and pktUart

Mesa modbus and pktUart

Category: Other User Interfaces

I downloaded Linuxcnc 2.9pre image for raspberry pi 4B and compiled linuxcnc-dev
git clone https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
cd linuxcnc-dev/src
sudo apt install automake
./autogen.sh
sudo apt-get install libmodbus-dev
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
sudo apt-get install yapps2
sudo apt-get install intltool
sudo apt-get install libboost
sudo apt install devscripts
sudo apt install dh-python libudev-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev asciidoc dblatex
sudo apt install libreadline-gplv2-dev docbook-xsl dvipng ghostscript graphviz
sudo apt install groff imagemagick inkscape python-lxml source-highlight
sudo apt install texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended
sudo apt install texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german
sudo apt install texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended
sudo apt install w3c-linkchecker xsltproc python-dev python-tk libxmu-dev
sudo apt install libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev intltool libboost-python-dev
sudo apt install libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev desktop-file-utils yapps2
sudo apt install python-yapps bwidget libtk-img mesa-utils tclx8.4
sudo apt install tcl-tclreadline python-configobj python-gtkglext1
sudo apt install python-xlib gstreamer0.10-plugins-base netcat
sudo apt install python-pil python-glade2 python-pil.imagetk
sudo apt install python-gst-1.0 w3c-linkchecker libxmu-dev libtirpc-dev
sudo apt install gdebi gdebi-core
sudo apt install libreadline-dev
sudo apt install libeditreadline-dev
sudo apt install libxmu-headers
sudo apt install libxmu-dev
./configure --with-realtime=uspace
make
sudo make setuid
source ../scripts/rip-environment
cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/bin
(edit modcompile to use ../src instead of src else it will not find makefile.modinc)
./modcompile mesa_modbus_A5_Driver.mod

I copied driver to another raspberry with linuxcnc2.9pre and copied driver to /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/mesa_modbus_A5_Driver.so

I now get the following error in linuxcnc
Debug file information:
Note: Using POSIX non-realtime
mesa_modbus_A5_Driver: dlopen: /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/mesa_modbus_A5_Driver.so: undefined symbol: hm2_pktuart_setup_rx
./Lathe_7i92T_0.hal:10: waitpid failed /usr/bin/rtapi_app mesa_modbus_A5_Driver
./Lathe_7i92T_0.hal:10: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
./Lathe_7i92T_0.hal:10: insmod for mesa_modbus_A5_Driver failed, returned -1
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components
Note: Using POSIX non-realtime

Any help PCW ?
02 Sep 2023 11:25

Linuxcnc Was mache ich falsch?

Hallo
Auf einem Raspberry habe ich Linuxcnc 4.19.71-rt24 PreemptRt installiert.
Linux gestartet, aber was ich auch versuche, ich kann den Test-Nc-Code nicht starten.
Auch ist kein Notstop im rechten unteren Bereich sichtbar.
Da ich schon mehrere verschiedene Versionen, immer mit dem gleichen Resultat, versucht habe
immer das selbe Ergebnis habe, Vielleicht kann mir jemand hier helfen.
Vielen Dank im voraus
Dierter
Displaying 811 - 825 out of 970 results.
Time to create page: 1.520 seconds