Gmoccapy - A new screen for linuxcnc

More
25 Jul 2013 13:08 - 25 Jul 2013 13:09 #37015 by newbynobi
gmoccapy-0.9.6 - 4-th axis is included

not even 100 minutes old!

ver. 0.9.6
- included the 4-th axis, buttons will change according to INI file settings
- corrected not taken care of PROGRAM_PREFIX path set in the INI file
- G95 Bug solved, it was caused from sim_spindle_encoder.hal gibing motion.spindle-in in RPM instead RPS,
gmoccapy use now a modificated sim_spindle.hal from axis lathe.hal
- cleared a warning of missing handler

Have fun! And please do a lot of testing.

Norbert
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 13:09 by newbynobi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2013 16:54 #37136 by spangledboy
I've just been playing around with some G code in simulation and I've noticed that the actual feed velocity in Gmoccapy seems to be only about 25% of what I'm getting in Axis.

I've checked the Max velocity settings in both sims as well as the feed override. When loading the same piece of G code, both instances showed a feed speed of 1000mm/min - Gmoccapy took 60 seconds to cover one straight section while Axis took only 15 seconds for the same piece.

Is there something I'm missing here? can any of you check to see if you're getting the same thing?

More
28 Jul 2013 17:23 - 28 Jul 2013 17:29 #37137 by newbynobi
Hallo spangleboy,

I just tested with ~/linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/gmoccapy/nc_files/Gmoccapy_2_tools_with_compensation.ngc

seems to take the same time in gmoccapy and axis.

There are 3 settings you should check:

[DISPLAY]
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY =
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY =

[TRAY]
MAX_VELOCITY =

Can you please post your testfile, so I can go on checking what happen?

I tested also in MDI mode, just giving
G0 X0
F1000
G1X250

Both GUI took 15 seconds to finish the move.

Norbert
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 17:29 by newbynobi. Reason: added MDI Comment

More
28 Jul 2013 18:10 - 28 Jul 2013 19:36 #37144 by spangledboy
Hi Norbert

Ok, I've just checked using MDI and I have the same problem - G1 X250 F1000 takes one minute to arrive at the end and the feed rate display shows 1000 while it's moving. When I then issue G0 X0 it takes about 6-7 seconds to go back to zero and the speed rate shows 9960.

9960mm/min corresponds to 166mm/s which is the value given for Max velocity for the X axis, but that speed should complete 250mm in 1.5s.

The ini file settings are as shown:

Gmoccapy.ini
[DISPLAY]
# Max and default jog speeds in units per second
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 166
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 166
MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 234

[TRAJ]
DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 9.0
MAX_VELOCITY = 166

[AXIS_0]
MAX_VELOCITY = 166

axis_mm.ini

[DISPLAY]
N/A

[TRAJ]
DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 30.48
MAX_VELOCITY = 53.34

[AXIS_0]
MAX_VELOCITY = 30.48

This has got me confused!

Ben
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 19:36 by spangledboy.

More
28 Jul 2013 20:51 #37163 by newbynobi
Halo Ben,

first you can not compare axis and gmoccapy, having different speeds set in the INI Files.

I just checked again and my sim/gmoccapy/gmoccapy.ini does exactly what it should!

G1X250F1000 takes 15 seconds
G0X0 takes about 1.5 seconds

I am not able to find any problem, not having it ;-)
But let's try to find your difernce.

- What version of gmoccapy are you using? Should be 0.9.6 (just see the numver in the title bar)
- Have you changed parts of the configs?

Norbert

More
28 Jul 2013 21:34 #37165 by spangledboy
Hi Norbert

I've just set the axis_mm.ini to the same setting as found in gmoccapy.ini but it didn't slow down the Axis speeds (difficult to see how increasing them would anyway..).

I'm using Gmoccapy 0.9.6 as I updated it last night. Unfortunately I didn't pay any attention to the actual feed speeds before the update so I don't know if it was running slow before. I don't think I made any changes as this is just a virtual machine I use for learning/testing g-code.

I tell you what, I'll try removing the whole linuxcnc-dev, then reinstall in case there's something that I changed without realising. I'll let you know what happens with a fresh install......

Thanks

Ben

More
28 Jul 2013 22:17 #37167 by spangledboy
I just finished re-installing the whole linuxcnc-dev and I still have the same problem. I've not made any changes to anything within that folder since the re-install but the Axis Sim moves 4 times faster than the Gmoccapy Sim even though they both report the same speed.

Is there anywhere else that would be able to influence the actual move speed?

I'm going to try installing Master on a physical machine next to see if the problem manifests itself there too.

Ben

More
30 Jul 2013 04:14 #37247 by spangledboy
Hi Norbert

I have some good news - the slow moves only seem to be happening on Gmoccapy when it's running in a virtual machine. I tried installing Gmoccapy on my workshop PC (which was installed using the LinuxCNC disk) as well as on the machine which runs my mill and both of them (running in simulation) move at the correct speed, the same as Axis.

I also tried installing master in a VM on my work PC (which already had v2.5.2) and the moves were slow for Gmoccapy but the correct speed for Axis.

Based on what I've found I'm not really bothered as the VM is only ever going to be used for testing. As long as the speed is always correct in the real world it doesn't matter!

I have no idea what might be causing this issue - perhaps someone else can try to replicate it so I can be sure I'm not going mad! :blink:

Ben

More
30 Jul 2013 22:25 #37267 by newbynobi
I don't know, what happened to your machine? What have you done to your poor computer, that it doesn't like gmoccapy?

I just have set up a complete new VM with VirtualBox and the linuxcnc CD (10.04), than I updated the complete sytsme, than I made git clone and all teh steps to compile gmoccapy.

I started gmoccapy one with 3 axis and also with 4 axis. Because of the VM I got realtime errors at start up, than I tested

G21
G0X0
F1000
G1X250

axis = 15 sec
gmoccapy = 15 sec
gmoccapy_4_axis = 15 sec

I can not reproduce the behavior of your system!

Norbert

More
31 Jul 2013 03:26 #37278 by spangledboy
Hi Norbert

Well, finally I've found a difference - you were using VirtualBox, while I used VMware Player. I would never have guessed that there would be any real difference, but I've worked long enough in IT to know that you can never be sure until you test, so I installed Virtualbox, then built a completely fresh LinuxCNC machine in that and another one in VMware at the same time and in exactly the same way, installing all the updates, the VM tools for each etc.

Once I'd installed Gmoccapy on each of them I ran the test and.....

....in Virtualbox it runs at the correct speed, the same as Axis and...

...in VMware it runs at 1/4 speed, while Axis runs at the correct speed.

Who would have guessed that?! If you feel like losing some time, try it for yourself, but I don't really think it's that important as the physical machines I've tried it on were fine. Just for the record, I'm using VMware Player v4.03 running on Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks for checking anyway!

Ben

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds