Gmoccapy - A new screen for linuxcnc

More
25 Feb 2014 01:22 #44141 by mr_deimos
Hi Norbert.

I can confirm that the file list is now properly refreshed each time it's opened, screen dimensions seem to be working fine now (no matter on which monitor the mouse pointer is) and are no longer limited, feed override reset pin works fine with physical button, and coolant/spindle box can now be properly replaced. Thank you, that was fast :)
As for feed-override-counts i was already using the pin from gscreen instead one from hal. I just mentioned it because i wasn't sure if it was intended behavior or a bug.

Another question about feed override: i noticed that reducing feed override also reduces maximum machine speed. That's a usually good idea especially for test runs, but sometimes it can be troublesome: for example if i manually reduce maximum machine velocity and touch the feed override knob/slider the maximum velocity slider will be moved to automatically calculated value, which can actually be higher than the value i set. So maybe it would be a good idea to add a link/unlink toggle button for these sliders (or an option in settings menu)? That way everyone could use whatever works best for him.

As for gremlin view center, i tried poking around the source code but i'm not skilled enough with python (i am a programmer, but c++ is my language of choice). I tracked view center setting after opening a new file to line 1918 in axis.py. Maybe it'll help a bit.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Rafal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2014 18:04 - 25 Feb 2014 18:11 #44173 by DaBit
I did a GIT pull yesterday as instructed in the gmoccapy wiki, and when using LXDE as the desktop environment I get the following when trying the sim.gmoccapy sample included with LinuxCNC:

And many, many more.
After a few of these messages I see the GUI appearing, but in the end LinuxCNC terminates without anything useful in dmesg/linuxcnc_debug.txt/linuxcnc_print.txt

When switching to Unity as the desktop environment (I installed LXDE as extra on a regular 12.04LTS install) it fires up without these errors. Seems to have something to do with a theme that is not available under LXDE.

Is it possible to use gmoccapy with LXDE? I hate Unity and like the lean-ness and speed of LXDE.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2014 18:11 by DaBit.

More
26 Feb 2014 02:12 #44181 by newbynobi
LXDE does not have gtk.theme, so the corresponding icon could not be found.

May be you have to install gtk ore gtk.theme or something else.

I have not tested with that Window manager, I am working mostly with 10.04, because I do not like UNITY easer.

Norbert

More
26 Feb 2014 06:24 #44183 by Mario
I do not like unity too. But what about XFCE? It is also lightweight and brings a classical desktop. I installed xubuntu-desktop on my Ubuntu 10.04 from the livecd and gmoccapy (buildbot) runs without errors.

Mario

More
26 Feb 2014 07:01 - 26 Feb 2014 07:22 #44184 by DaBit
sudo apt-get install gnome-icon-theme-full seems to solve the problem. The master-rt from the buildbot runs under LXDE. The GIT build doesn't; it complains about gscreen.spindle-feedback-bar missing in gmoccapy_postgui.hal. Might as well be me doing something wrong, so let's play around a little before I ask for help.

XFCE is OK, but I still like LXDE more. That window manager is so fast and snappy...
(now, where is my good old fvwm2?)

[edit]
Removed the many sim configs in my ~/linuxcnc/configs directory, did a fresh GIT pull with rellenbergs improved TP, built it, and now gmoccapy also works in the RIP environment.
As I said: it was probably my mistake.
[/edit]
Last edit: 26 Feb 2014 07:22 by DaBit.

More
26 Feb 2014 16:05 #44194 by newbynobi
Fine to hear, that it do run also under other window managers.

@Dabit: Are you willing to document that on the WIKI?

Norbert

More
26 Feb 2014 16:08 #44195 by DaBit
Sure. Is there a simple 'how to document things on a wiki for dummies'-article somewhere?

More
27 Feb 2014 02:17 #44211 by newbynobi

More
01 Mar 2014 05:34 - 01 Mar 2014 05:36 #44272 by newbynobi
gmoccapy 1.0 !!

I made it, gmoccapy reached stable state!

The main difference from previous versions is that gmoccapy is now stand alone, completely separated from gscreen.
This has two main reasons:

1. gmoccapy has become so complex, that it is not any more a typical gscreen skin, it is an own application.
2. I got a speed advantage because I do not need as much timers as before.

But take care!
Due to the change, all hal pin has changed their names from gscreen. to gmoccapy. and also the tooloffset pin changed their names.
I did update the WIKI according to the changes, so please read it!

I hope to get now a more easy product for support, because there will be less influence from other code parts and I can put more effort in new features.

I would like to express, that this decision has nothing to do with gscreen and its very good code and features and that this decision is completely conform to Chris opinion. Chris I thank you for gscreen and I will also in the feature have an eye on that, because without gscreen I would never have begone to code gmoccapy.

THANKS CHRIS!

Hope you will support me also in feature!

Norbert
Last edit: 01 Mar 2014 05:36 by newbynobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr_deimos

More
01 Mar 2014 13:38 #44282 by mariusl
Thanks Norbert, your efforts is also much appreciated and needed. I will start testing later today.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds