Gmoccapy - A new screen for linuxcnc

More
12 Feb 2014 04:26 #43776 by newbynobi
Halo Marius,

just copy an existing file, leave the copy in the same directory and rename that one to your needs. Then modify the file to fit your screen or GUI or what ever you need.

IMHO that is the easiest way to get to the goal.

As example see the gmoccapy folder, containing a lot of config files.

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2014 05:39 #43811 by jlviloria
Hello,

Greetings Norbert,

I've been watching from the outside all the progress you've applied to gmoccapy, now I want to apply it to my machine, but I have noticed that no longer goes the (. glade) in the configuration file of my machine.

I have a few different things in my gmoccapy-tailored,

as machining time, turret, but have completely integrated, not as widgets, and not want to lose.

as I can do to not lose my settings but upgrade to the new version of gmoccapy.

thanks,

Jorge Viloria

More
13 Feb 2014 16:19 #43817 by newbynobi
Hallo Jorge,

there will only be two ways to maintain your changes:

- You have to edit the original gmoccapy.glade file to fit your needs
- You add all your changes to an embedded panel and just integrate that one in normal gmoccapy, so your options will not been lost with the next update.
- you send me per mail your config folder with the modified glade file and I will see if it is possible and reasonable to integrate your changes to the standard.

Norbert

More
14 Feb 2014 01:19 - 14 Feb 2014 01:19 #43831 by newbynobi
gmoccapy 0.9.9.9.9

- pin to modify soft limits

The WIKI tells you ;-)

4.8. Pins to modify soft limits
Gmoccapy allows you to modify the soft limits using hal pin. The pin do allow to reduce or enlarge the soft limits, so you are able to protect your rotary table from collision just switching a hal pin. If you do not use it, just reduce your soft limits. An other option would be a tool changer which is placed in the working area, you do not want a collision during normal work, but you are forced to enter the tool change area to change a tool, so during tool change you enlarge the soft limits.

- gscreen.axis-to-set = S32 indicating the joint of the axis to modify (X=0, Y=1, Z=2 ...)
- gscreen.set-max-limit = bit, if set the value will modify the max limit value, else the min value
- gscreen.limit-value = float, the new value to set as soft limit

This has not been tested with a rotary axis, so be careful with that kind of axis. There will be no check to the limits you set, so if you set a limit and the tool is out of your limit area you will get an error about being outside the soft limits.

You are responsible to take care about that

Norbert
Last edit: 14 Feb 2014 01:19 by newbynobi.

More
22 Feb 2014 03:58 - 22 Feb 2014 03:59 #44052 by mr_deimos
Hi.
FIrst of all, thanks for all your work on gmoccapy.
I've been using linuxcnc with Axis UI for more than a year, but somehow that ui never felt quite right. After i finally got around to grabbing git version of linuxcnc with gmoccapy in it, i never looked back :)
But, as with everything, there are some quirks with it.
Here are some minor problems i found (using version 0.9.9.9.9 from git):
  • When opening gcode file selection window, the files list is not refreshed. If you open some gcode file, create a new file in the same dir as the one you just opened, and go to file selection dialog again, the new file won't be visible. You'll have to go to patent directory and step into the dir with youf files again to actually be able to open the newly created file.
  • Gremlin preview always seems to rotate around machine zero point. In Axis rotation center was set in the middle of program extents.
    Gmoccapy's behavior is a bit annoying when i have my program set to run near machine's maximum coordinates, opposite to machine zero point. Looking at the preview from different angles requires a lot of both rotating and panning.
  • Window position set in gmoccapy config isn't properly set with multiple monitors. I have a main monitor running at 1920x1200 and a secondary one left of it at 768x1024 (in portrait mode). Window position is set in preferences to x=80, y=50 and size to 1280x1024. So the window should be displayed on the main monitor. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's displayed at 0,0 coordinates (on the left screen). But the more annoying problem is that window size is never correct: it is always set to minimum width (979). As soon as i touch the width value in preferences dialog, it's applied correctly, but it's never correct on startup.
    Also, for some reason i'm not able to set window width to more than 1280 in preferences. Manually resizing the window works fine to any size, even up to 1920x1200.
  • I use a hardware encoder to set feed override. With Axis ui it was connected to halui.feed-override.counts. After switching to gmoccapy the feed override still worked, but the value displayed in gmoccapy wasn't updated when feed was changed by halui. The other way around works - moving the feed slider in gmoccapy does update the value i halui.

And here are a few suggestions:
  • I really like the idea of a button to easily set feed override back to 100%. I think it a hal pin doing just that would be useful to anyone preferring to use a hardware encoder over potentiometer for feed override.
  • I put a 3-position rotary swicth on my machine's control panel for mode selection (manual, mdi, auto), pretty much like in normal cnc machines. However i was disapointed to see that connecting the three switch positions to halui mode pins didn't really work. Halui changes mode only when halui.mode.* pin cganges state from 0 to 1. If for whatever reason the mode can't be changed, for example when trying to exit from auto mode when a program is running an error message is shown and no further action is taken. Even when the program execution ends and halui.mode.manual is held high the mode won't change. I need to flip the switch to another position to make hal notice mode change request.
    How about adding mode selection hal pins to gmoccapy? The pins could be polled at some interval and if the requested mode is different than the one currently active and mode change is legal, the mode would be changed. If mode cannot currently be changed, the change would occur as soon as problem preventing the mode change disappears.
    It could work like this: i turn on the machine and it's not homed. So the only valid mode is manual. Even if i flip the switch to mdi, nothing happens. But as soon as i home the machine, nothing prevents the change so gmoccapy switches to mdi mode.
  • Is it possible to hide the cooling and/or spindle control groupbox?
    I tried to load a gladevcp and set its location in .ini file to "EMBED_TAB_LOCATION = box_coolant_and_spindle", but it causes not only coolant and spindle, but also feed override and velocity box to disappear.
    I'm aware i can simply delete or hide those frames directly in gmoccapy.glade, but i think a less intrusive way would be useful, for example being able to hide them from gmoccapy's options.
    Many small routers/engravers don't have cooling or software spindle control, so these boxes aren't really needed there.
  • How about being able to open a gcode file with double click? I know it might actually get in the way of users using touchscreens, so an option to set double click behavior would be welcome. Without a touchscreen having to first highlight the requested file with the mouse and then confirming with a button on the other side of the screen isn't very comfortable.
  • A feature i liked in Axis ui was being able to quickly reload current program. Maybe a button for that could be added in the file selection dialog? There are still two button slots left on the bottom there.

Anyway, keep up the great work :)

-Rafał
Last edit: 22 Feb 2014 03:59 by mr_deimos. Reason: fixing typos

More
22 Feb 2014 18:24 #44067 by newbynobi
Halo Rafal,

Thanks for your feedback. I am not at home, so please give me some time to check, repair and add your wishes and suggestions. As i am also busy with gmoccapy 1.0 it may take a while.

Concerning feed-override, please connect to gscreen.feed-override and not halui.

Norbert

More
24 Feb 2014 01:59 #44089 by newbynobi
Halo Rafał,

I just pushed some fixes:

- New file is now visible without the need to change dir
- Screen will now start with the dimensions set in settings page, I did not check with multiple monitor setup, so please inform about the new behavior. I noticed on my debian PC, that the position of the mouse may take influence of the screen to start a application.

- gremlin: Is not my code, and I do not have time to fix that one at the moment, I do agree, that the behavior is sub optimal
- have ypu tested with the connection to gscreen pin instead of halui?

All other stuff with hardware switching modes and other hal pin, and dobble click will be done later.
I copied all your wishes on my todo list.

Norbert

More
24 Feb 2014 03:25 - 24 Feb 2014 03:26 #44093 by newbynobi

I really like the idea of a button to easily set feed override back to 100%. I think it a hal pin doing just that would be useful to anyone preferring to use a hardware encoder over potentiometer for feed override.

you will find two new pin:

bit pin, so connect to momentary switches

- gscreen.reset-feed-override
- gscreen.reset-spindle-override

Norbert

here are some version details:
ver. 0.9.9.9.13
- solved a bug switching on/off the spindle if also log_actions
was active,

ver. 0.9.9.9.12
- added two hal pin to reset feed and spindle override
gscreen.reset-feed-override
gscreen.reset-spindle-override

ver. 0.9.9.9.11
- solved startup bug, window not starting in position and
dimensions as set in settings page
- set new limits to size adjustments

ver. 0.9.9.9.10
- added a refresh command to iconview, otherwise adding a file
and reopeninmg the view, would not refresh the view, so the
added file could not be selected
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 03:26 by newbynobi.

More
24 Feb 2014 03:40 #44094 by newbynobi

Is it possible to hide the cooling and/or spindle control groupbox?
I tried to load a gladevcp and set its location in .ini file to "EMBED_TAB_LOCATION = box_coolant_and_spindle", but it causes not only coolant and spindle, but also feed override and velocity box to disappear.
I'm aware i can simply delete or hide those frames directly in gmoccapy.glade, but i think a less intrusive way would be useful, for example being able to hide them from gmoccapy's options.

solved!

ver. 0.9.9.9.14
- The usage of "EMBED_TAB_LOCATION = box_coolant_and_spindle"
will not hide the velocity widgets any more, plasma handles
that one now over tool_info_panel

Norbert

More
24 Feb 2014 04:21 #44097 by newbynobi
ver. 0.9.9.9.15
- new hal pin gscreen.error as bit out, to show an error to the
hardware, so a light can lit or even stop the machine. It will
reseted with the pin gscreen.delete-message. This command will
delete the first error and reset the gscreen.error pin to False
after the last error has been cleared. Messages or user infos
will not affect this pin!

Documented in WIKI.

Norbert

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds