Another plasma component...

More
27 Jun 2019 23:36 #138051 by phillc54
It means if the ohmic probe senses something during the transition from the top of travel to where it reaches the start of probing height.

Say:
your start height is 70
your probe height is 20
your stock is 10

If a probe is detected at 30 then it would give that error
After if gets to 20 then a probe detected is valid

It is just a matter of how to describe it, that's where I run into trouble.

Cheers, Phill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2019 00:16 #138057 by thefabricator03
So I tried setting the probe height to various heights,

40,60,100, -100, -40,-20

And I still get that error message. I have been homing my z axis about 50mm about top of material.

Is there another setting I need to try? I have also tried setting the safe height to various heights as well with no luck.

More
28 Jun 2019 00:18 #138058 by phillc54
Is the ohmic probe LED on or off?

When you say homing do you actually mean homing or touchoff?

More
28 Jun 2019 00:25 #138061 by andypugh

When you say homing do you actually mean homing or touchoff?

I logged in to ask exactly the same question.

It's a very important distinction.

More
28 Jun 2019 00:30 #138063 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Most of my issues went away when I moved to Z axis top and touched off at Z max (in my case 84mm). This puts the 0 point at the lower end of travel. This setting is preserved between sessions and fixed my problems except when warpage puts the material above the probe height. Everything in Plasmac is referenced from this lowest point.

I still think in this situation, for that probe only, Plasmac should progressively raise the probe height by 10mm until the error goes away or Z max is reached. It knows there is some material there, its just not where its expected.

More
28 Jun 2019 00:37 #138065 by phillc54
All my sim testing has been done with Z home at about 5mm below the top of Z travel and touchoff was done at bottom of Z travel (actually .001mm above the bottom)

More
28 Jun 2019 00:44 #138066 by thefabricator03
Sorry guys I worked it out,

So the value of probe height is set from the reference of the bottom limit, not the DRO position, I was under the impression that if I set 20 it would mean that when the DRO goes below 20 it would activate the sensor.

I had my z axis bottom limit set to -100, I changed that to -50 and set the probe height to 60 and now its sensing the top of material.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
28 Jun 2019 01:47 - 28 Jun 2019 01:48 #138076 by phillc54
You should have your bottom limit set to just below the top of your slats and your top limit set to just below maximum Z height.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2019 01:48 by phillc54.

More
28 Jun 2019 03:26 - 30 Jun 2019 23:30 #138082 by phillc54
plasmac has now been merged into the official LinuxCNC repository in master branch (v2.9)

If you want to keep your run in place versions then you can edit the hidden ~/linuxcnc-plasmac/.git/config file:
Replace the line:
url = https://github.com/phillc54/linuxcnc-plasmac.git
With:
url = git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git

If you want to get rid of your run in place version and install LinuxCNC as a package then wait till the buildbot builds it (I'm not sure how long that takes) and follow the LinuxCNC buildbot instructions. This installs as a standard Linux package so it will do the updates for you. If you do it this way then your will need to run the configurator after the install then use it to upgrade your configuration so all the links point to the new install location.

Thank you all for your testing, feedback, encouragement and patience.

Cheers, Phill.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2019 23:30 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, thefabricator03

More
28 Jun 2019 03:55 #138083 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...
Fantastic work Phil and its great plasmac has moved to its rightful home.
Its even more exciting to know you can maintain it now you are a Linuxcnc Developer!
I will compile master branch and see how it goes.

So just one final question. Where will we find the documentation? I think it takes a week or so to end up on the main site doesn't it.

Once there, it would be good if Norbert could be encouraged to retire the Gmocappy plasma pages as they never did anything except make pretty screens and Plasmac is a complete build with support for Gmocappy.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds