Another plasma component...

More
23 Aug 2019 04:28 #142919 by phillc54

Does Plasmac probe up again until the ohmic circuit breaks again to set surface height? I assumed it would do.

Yes, it probes down at Probe Speed then after sensing the material it moves up at 0.001mm (0.00004") per period until contact is lost.

The debounce delay in the connections.hal will have a minor impact on height, around 0.001mm (0.00004") increase per unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2019 04:37 #142920 by phillc54

but now I see there is an ohmic offset so I might play with that to get closer onto correct height

You may haven an issue with that as I made the assumption that if someone was using a separate probe next to the torch then it would be below the torch so I restricted to values here to negative numbers. If you need positive numbers then you can change line 21 in plasmac_config.py from:
            self.builder.get_object('ohmic-probe-offset-adj').configure(0,-25,0,0.01,0,0)
to:
            self.builder.get_object('ohmic-probe-offset-adj').configure(0,-25,25,0.01,0,0)
I can change it permanently if required.

More
23 Aug 2019 05:02 #142921 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Another plasma component...

but now I see there is an ohmic offset so I might play with that to get closer onto correct height

You may haven an issue with that as I made the assumption that if someone was using a separate probe next to the torch then it would be below the torch so I restricted to values here to negative numbers. If you need positive numbers then you can change line 21 in plasmac_config.py from:
            self.builder.get_object('ohmic-probe-offset-adj').configure(0,-25,0,0.01,0,0)
to:
            self.builder.get_object('ohmic-probe-offset-adj').configure(0,-25,25,0.01,0,0)
I can change it permanently if required.

Phill, thanks, I'll see how I go. If its high, the adjustment should be negative then? You'd think it would be spot on the way you do it.

More
23 Aug 2019 06:41 #142923 by Dee436
Replied by Dee436 on topic Another plasma component...
I am not sure I am having the same problems as Rod. My issue is more that I don’t have the correct values in for the thc. I dont have any understanding of how they are used or where to start in working out some starting values.

When void sense and the anti dive are on the thc seems not to move at all, so I guess I have those variables set to high which should be fairly easy to adjust. When I deselect those values then the thc has the torch bouncing up and down wildly. I have 25 in PID P, 0 in the other 2 PID fields and 0.1 in the height per volt field. If it were just one variable I would try changing it but with at least 4 to play with I could spend days trying to stumble on the correct combination.
I guess if I understood how they were used in calculating what the thc did I would have half a chance.

What settings does everyone else have in their run configs for thc and arc, it might at least give me a start in point

More
23 Aug 2019 06:51 #142924 by phillc54

I am not sure I am having the same problems as Rod. My issue is more that I don’t have the correct values in for the thc. I dont have any understanding of how they are used or where to start in working out some starting values.

When void sense and the anti dive are on the thc seems not to move at all, so I guess I have those variables set to high which should be fairly easy to adjust. When I deselect those values then the thc has the torch bouncing up and down wildly. I have 25 in PID P, 0 in the other 2 PID fields and 0.1 in the height per volt field. If it were just one variable I would try changing it but with at least 4 to play with I could spend days trying to stumble on the correct combination.
I guess if I understood how they were used in calculating what the thc did I would have half a chance.

What settings does everyone else have in their run configs for thc and arc, it might at least give me a start in point

My guesses as a non cutter:
Anti Dive should be around 90% - 95%
Void Sense is not working correctly so leave it off.
PID P is basically the reaction speed so probably start at 10 and work your way up.
PID's I & D probably leave at zero.
Height Per Volt only comes into play for on the fly height adjustment and the not working Void Sense. Approx 0.1 for metric or 0.004 for imperial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mkardasi, Dee436

More
23 Aug 2019 06:57 - 23 Aug 2019 06:58 #142925 by Dee436
Replied by Dee436 on topic Another plasma component...

My guesses as a non cutter:
Anti Dive should be around 90% - 95%
Void Sense is not working correctly so leave it off.
PID P is basically the reaction speed so probably start at 10 and work your way up.
PID's I & D probably leave at zero.
Height Per Volt only comes into play for on the fly height adjustment and the not working Void Sense. Approx 0.1 for metric or 0.004 for imperial.

Thanks for that Phil,
Makes it much easier, so for basic thc I just have PID P to play with.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2019 06:58 by Dee436.

More
23 Aug 2019 12:07 #142945 by JTknives
Wow I step away for a little while and it looks like you guys have been rather busy. I’m still running the first install I was able to get working and have held off updating as it seams to work fine. My install was before the torch on/torch off button color change bug. I run it probably 3 days a week for maybe 1-2hrs a day. It has been flawless with just the normal learning curve issues. Things became much easier when I caved in and set up a tool library. Now I have inside pocket tools and outside profile tools as well as tools for holes and just popping holes. Some have the thc turned off which is nice to have.

I have kinda been hesitant to do an upgrade as I depend on this thing weekly and so do my customers. I had thought about picking up a second computer and trying a fresh install on that. I would think my install is so old that it would not be a simple update but rather a complete install with new Hal and ini files.

More
23 Aug 2019 13:04 #142950 by tommylight

I have kinda been hesitant to do an upgrade as I depend on this thing weekly and so do my customers. I had thought about picking up a second computer and trying a fresh install on that. I would think my install is so old that it would not be a simple update but rather a complete install with new Hal and ini files.

This is the main reason why i love the 7i92, plug it and test the $/+ out of it, remove, plug on the machine and continue working.......well testing as i do not do much actual work with them.

More
23 Aug 2019 14:32 #142959 by islander261
Guys

I have missed the last several upgrades so I am now waiting for the dust to settle.

I use a THC gain of 25 and a deadband of .1,others 0. If you are having problems with your THC start with the default deadband of 1. Double and triple check that your .ini and .hal lines for your Z axis are correct. I tried to get my THC to oscillate when I first tried PlasmaC and gave up when the worst I could do was a very "nervous" torch at truly ridiculous settings.

I always use a fixed THC set point (through much testing I know what it is on my system) to avoid cutting height errors caused by bad probing, very rare for me using PlasmaC. If you are worried about arc voltage changing with consumable wear track it with the statistics tab and adjust as needed with high mileage electrodes.

All puddle jump and kerf crossing (Void) values at 0.

The Height per volt range as stated is correct for HT and TD standard consumables. For those using HT Finecut consumables the value will be in the .00085" to .001" range, my usual for 2mm HR steel is .00095".

Velocity Hold values for most will be in the 85% to 90% range for good cuts. I am using 90% now and have only 1v or 2v voltage spikes at worst. I see this more often than most because I am rarely cutting rectilinear engineering work.

My 7I76E and THCad cards have been rock solid since first commissioning when you rule out operator errors.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Aug 2019 19:15 #142995 by JTknives
I use auto volts and it’s been flawless. My material changes from carbon to stainless steel in thickness from .070 to .250. I found that the auto volts was easy as I just set the gap at say .060 with a .2 sec delay. My response speed is under 20 I think. I found that lowering that would help diving when finishing a cut. Let me see if I can upload a video of cutting.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds