Controller build for Plasma

More
22 Aug 2020 20:40 #179029 by tommylight

Do you know what my THCAD divider setting should be?

F/32 is what is recommended, unless you are using a parallel port (which I dont think you are).

F/32 can be used with parallel port, but requires RTAI kernel and a lot of fiddling, i have a system running like that for 7 months without any issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540, xnaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2020 22:01 - 22 Aug 2020 22:03 #179037 by xnaron
Replied by xnaron on topic Controller build for Plasma
Making progress.

The step/dir signals pass directly under a THCAD connector. They cross the input at 90 deg so they should be ok. I am planning to use that one for 50:1 plasma voltage. I can raise the THCADS up with some higher standoffs if I need to.

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 22:03 by xnaron.

More
22 Aug 2020 22:16 #179038 by xnaron
What the heck I had the taller standoffs so I raised it up.

Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2020 22:24 #179040 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Controller build for Plasma
I think I can retire now! Snowgoer has got it nailed. Just keep plenty of air around that 25k resistor as it could get hot!

So with 50:1 divider and a THCAD-5, you don't need any scaling resistor. That gives you a full scale reading of 250 volts and remember the THCAD can handle 500 volts indefinitely. But at 250V it will be really rare for it to hit full scale and it will be at times we don't care about.

On hypersensing, the 390 k resistor is a standard value and gives a full scale of 24.5 volts. This is a bit above our 24V power supply if you adjust it to that value. The THCAD can always see a little bit more than its full scale so if it sees > 24.5 volts, it will turn on the arc-on pin. Its not used for anything but who knows what the future holds?

More
22 Aug 2020 22:28 #179041 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Controller build for Plasma

What the heck I had the taller standoffs so I raised it up.

Looks good. I always wondered if it would not pay to mount the 7i96 to a L shaped mounting plate and stand it up on its edge when mounting it to the DIN rail to save space. If I did that, I'd put the THCAD's side by side on a plate mounted the same way.

More
23 Aug 2020 00:46 #179056 by snowgoer540

I think I can retire now! Snowgoer has got it nailed.

Not so quick, we didn't get your Gold Watch retirement gift in the mail yet! Plus, there's plenty I haven't got nailed... modifying the ohmic comp if it needs it in the future...Hal Scope... The list goes on and on I'm sure.

On that note, ohmic3 seems to work well. I was seeing these false start issues, and weird probe errors that have all seemed to go away. I'll be cutting tomorrow (and testing Phill's Cut Recovery upgrades), so I'll let you know, but so far, so good.

I did get a compare plugin for notepad++, was interesting to see the line you change from ohmic2 to ohmic3.

At any rate didnt mean to hijack the thread. Box looks great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: xnaron

More
23 Aug 2020 03:16 #179059 by xnaron

At any rate didnt mean to hijack the thread. Box looks great!

Thanks and I appreciate all the interactivity in the thread,

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, snowgoer540

More
23 Aug 2020 06:47 #179071 by tommylight

............ Box looks great!

I have to agree. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: xnaron

More
23 Aug 2020 22:18 #179148 by xnaron
What is the thinking behind the optional ac relay to switch the power on and off for the ohmic probe?

More
23 Aug 2020 23:45 #179162 by snowgoer540

What is the thinking behind the optional ac relay to switch the power on and off for the ohmic probe?

Someone suggested that with a wet torch and the voltage present by power supply, galvanic corrosion could be sped up and the consumables could wear faster/be eaten by the corrosion process. It seems more likely for a table that is idle and on all the time. Nonetheless, I installed one. Cheap insurance I guess.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.696 seconds