Controller build for Plasma

More
28 Aug 2020 01:58 #179775 by xnaron
Replied by xnaron on topic Controller build for Plasma

If you prefer WIFI, external USB-WIFI adapters are usually OK
The built-in minPCIE cards are the usual culprit with latency issues.

Thanks. I do have one I can try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2020 21:23 #180236 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic Controller build for Plasma
First off very nice and clean controller build, just hope mine comes out half as good. Quick question why dual mesa cards? I was under the impression one 7i96 can be flashed to support multiple THCAD's?

More
31 Aug 2020 21:26 #180237 by xnaron

First off very nice and clean controller build, just hope mine comes out half as good. Quick question why dual mesa cards? I was under the impression one 7i96 can be flashed to support multiple THCAD's?

Thank you. I am only running one 7i96 card and two THCAD-5s.

More
31 Aug 2020 22:42 #180241 by Hippy
Replied by Hippy on topic Controller build for Plasma
Oh ok i get it now, i was under the impression the 7i96 did it all, but you need separate daughter cards for each THCAD used and the 7i96 is flashed to control multiple cards. Glad i found this out before ordering lol

More
01 Sep 2020 06:28 #180259 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Controller build for Plasma

Oh ok i get it now, i was under the impression the 7i96 did it all, but you need separate daughter cards for each THCAD used and the 7i96 is flashed to control multiple cards. Glad i found this out before ordering lol

The THC cards are not really daughter cards ass they are stand alone cards. They do not plug into the 7i96

But if you need two THC then the 7i96 has to be setup up to have another encoder on one of its inputs

More
01 Sep 2020 08:41 #180277 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Controller build for Plasma

But if you need two THC then the 7i96 has to be setup up to have another encoder on one of its inputs

Mesa provide a bit file for download that does this.

More
16 May 2023 21:36 #271473 by xnaron
Well I didn't end up putting the controller into service and now I get to read through my thread again to remember everything I have done. I ended up blowing away the tiny pc that I had linuxCNC setup on so now I need to start that all over again.  Does the latest ISO from the website support the mesa 7i96 or do I still need to do something special with the kernel selection?  I realize the 7i96 was replaced with 7196s because of availability issue for the FPGA. Hopefully should be able to follow the same process to get it setup again.

More
16 May 2023 22:22 #271477 by tommylight

Does the latest ISO from the website support the mesa 7i96 or do I still need to do something special with the kernel selection? 

It should, both.
Although you might want to go with Debian BookWorm as LinuxCNC is in their repositories from now on.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/bookworm_di_r...-rc2-amd64-DVD-1.iso
Install, reboot, update and upgrade, then
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace

More
17 May 2023 00:21 #271491 by xnaron
Thanks. Just reinstalled and updated.

More
18 May 2023 21:46 #271627 by xnaron
I've installed Debian Bookworm using Rod's instruction document and I am trying the 6.3.0 kernel he posted in the document.  So far for the last few hours running the script to test latency looks like below.  I'll let it run overnight to see if it gets worse.  If it stays as below is this ok?

Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds