RS485 For Hypertherms

More
06 Jul 2020 07:56 #173725 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
[quote="rodw" post=173724Lets face it, Linuxcnc is focused on milling machines, lathe configs are few and far between so never well supported from what I've read and its great to see the QTYVCP guys are working hard on that deficiency.[/quote]

It's a shame they run an off site infrastructure competing with Qtvcp which is part of LinuxCNC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 08:18 #173729 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

Lets face it, Linuxcnc is focused on milling machines, lathe configs are few and far between so never well supported from what I've read and its great to see the QTYVCP guys are working hard on that deficiency.

It's a shame they run an off site infrastructure competing with Qtvcp which is part of LinuxCNC.

I'm not sure its competition.

I have dropped in on their chat a few times. I suspect its because its becasue they re using more modern development and collaboration tools which includes phone apps.. The commits get notified in their chat automagically. The current Linuxcnc chat is archaic and the couple of times I dropped in, it was hopeless for somebody in our time zone so I never went back.

I'm not taking sides anywhere but hopefully one day it will be complete enough to merge but I do know what you are saying.

More
06 Jul 2020 08:25 #173732 by phillc54

Oh, I thought it was a GUI building infrastructure similar to what Qtvcp is.

More
06 Jul 2020 08:47 #173734 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RS485 For Hypertherms
Not screaming, yet. :)
I can not help much about what document goes where as i read everything here, and i have to agree with Rod that they are very nicely done, the only thing i would add to the primer are some examples or just some links to actual builds, humans understand things much better by seeing them than by reading.
As for PlasmaC, the only thing that needs to be explicitly mentioned is the touch off on the Z axis, it is mentioned there but i thought i could get away without it and that led to some hiccups and some added headache for Phill.
Same thing for PlasmaC, example, the reed switch idea should have it's own page (maybe it does), and there are other methods of getting an ARCOK signal by using an induction coil and a big screw, or hal sensor with a ferrite round thingy ( brain failure), or with a 3$ sensor. Floating head ideas could be added there with floating switch, ohmic probing if it is not there, ....
Primer could also have some examples of cutting with some issues and how to correct them, like, torch to high or to low, speed to fast or to slow that can be seen from the dross underneath the cut, etc.
All this is to improve a bit the state of information about plasma on the net as it is miserable, just do a search for blowback plasma, there is literally thousands of pages with very wrong information about that. The same miss information is present for TIG welding with all kinds of magic stuff that will make you a great welder, it wont, only lots and lots of practice can do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
06 Jul 2020 08:50 #173735 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RS485 For Hypertherms

That is also a bit more complicated, it started with Brenda........
QTPyVCP is great and a lot of work was and is put into it, but i have gotten to the point of hating QT a lot as it is advertised as the "be all, end all" of GUI's, but getting it to work is a hassle on a good day.....

More
06 Jul 2020 09:28 #173738 by rodw

I'm not sure I know what either is as I have not used them.The thing about Open Source is that people will build a better mousetrap. We should embrace that as its what improves the end result. I threw out a lot of work (hundreds of hours) to adopt Plasmac and I have put as much effort into improving it as I did on my own stuff so the effort was not wasted.

But I'm not loving the available GUI's. I want to use a touch screen and Gmoccapy really annoys me swapping between tabs all the time so one day I may build a plasma GUI (or even better, direct the software project). Then on top of that the recent work I've done with State Tags might end up in master and those features have the potential to obsolete some of Phill's work plus push the limits even further. So who knows. Its not much fun throwing out perfectly working code, so who knows, perhaps another mousetrap might emerge in time. If it does happen, I won't really care about what platform the GUI is built on as long as it delivers the best outcome.

More
06 Jul 2020 09:33 #173739 by phillc54
It would be nice if this better mousetrap was built in the same factory rather than being fragmented and stretching thin resources.

More
06 Jul 2020 10:17 #173741 by rodw

It would be nice if this better mousetrap was built in the same factory rather than being fragmented and stretching thin resources.

That kind of depends on how willing the current development team is to implement new features proposed by R&D as they come to hand. :side:

More
06 Jul 2020 10:20 #173742 by phillc54
I guess we will find out when the PR's appear.

More
06 Jul 2020 11:35 #173748 by rodw

I guess we will find out when the PR's appear.

Yes as you know I have one in progress but its failing a test. Andy thought I should just submit it as is. But I've decided to send an email to the gatekeeper first

There is some real cool stuff here for plasma and then some. This is all in hal in real time
original feedrate, Arc radius, if the arc is a hole or not, kerf width and another 23 status bits I have not even dug through yet.
Plus Andy suggested that I include a directional heading that could be used to orient a tangential knife or saw blade. I can see a use for that too.

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about the dev team's response to some of R&D's future proposals. I just want Plasma to work without bothering about any special G code commands... or listening to complaints about more work.... :laugh:
Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds