Problem loading PlasmaC for the first time

More
08 Oct 2019 19:56 #147486 by tommylight
Theoretically,
the torch on signal should be given together with probe sequence so the plasma has time to turn on before the metal is reached,
or
the torch on signal should be initiated as soon as the float switch it tripped.
Both of those situations means: no ohmic probing for you ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2019 22:14 #147502 by phillc54
There is a bit here about setting up a THCAD.
PlasmaC doesn't fire the torch until Pierce Height is reached so you will need to set enough time in Arc Fail Timeout in the Config Panel to allow the torch to fire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
08 Oct 2019 23:41 #147510 by tommylight
His torch will not fire until it is dragged over the metal plate being cut, he has a scratch start plasma.
It should also start on contact loss, so having the torch on signal routed to one of the above should do, most probably the second of the two versions mentioned.

More
08 Oct 2019 23:48 #147512 by phillc54

His torch will not fire until it is dragged over the metal plate being cut, he has a scratch start plasma.
It should also start on contact loss, so having the torch on signal routed to one of the above should do, most probably the second of the two versions mentioned.

There is something else I don't know about and have made no allowance for.
So with a scratch start we need to turn the torch on when the float switch makes contact.
Ohmic would be a problem though as we don't disable the ohmic sense circuit until the torch has lost contact with the material???
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
09 Oct 2019 00:00 #147516 by tommylight
I did write two posts above that no ohmic can be used for this situation.
Scratch start is tricky and it usually needs several scratches to start, but since the situation is such, i was thinking of ways it could most probably work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
09 Oct 2019 00:07 #147520 by tommylight

So with a scratch start we need to turn the torch on when the float switch makes contact.

Yes, and that is contingent on the plasma actually starting without any delay. Any delay and the torch would have already started to retract and lost contact.
@Phill
This is an isolated case, no changes need to be made to PlasmaC code for this, just adding an OR gate to hal should do that.
The main thing is, scratch start plasma is not made for use in CNC applications. Then again if it does work, we got some more functionality.

More
09 Oct 2019 00:17 #147521 by phillc54

I did write two posts above that no ohmic can be used for this situation

Oops, I see that now...

This is an isolated case, no changes need to be made to PlasmaC code for this, just adding an OR gate to hal should do that.
The main thing is, scratch start plasma is not made for use in CNC applications. Then again if it does work, we got some more functionality.

That is good news, this shows up my lack of knowledge about plasma.
I was thinking of adding an ini file setting for scratch start and starting the torch earlier but if the OR gate works then I can just add something into the docs.

More
09 Oct 2019 07:51 #147540 by Clive S
Phill &Tommy. Sorry to be a PITA :dry: Please don't go to a lot of trouble with this as I am only really building this as a hobby machine I know next to nothing about plasma. I take it my machine is very old fashioned then.
Q1. Is it possible to modify the plasma?

Q2. Should I buy another machine if so what is the terminology for me to use ie. scratch start, HF start, etc.

Is this the same as scratch start www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-Tech-P30C-240V-12mm...3:g:64QAAOSwk~Vdm73Q

or this www.expondo.co.uk/stamos-power-2-plasma-...-50-a-230-v-10020153

More
09 Oct 2019 08:07 - 09 Oct 2019 08:11 #147543 by thefabricator03
If you buy another machine you would want a blow back start type, not high frequency or scratch start.

Edit: Ideally with a CNC port for machine control.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 08:11 by thefabricator03.

More
09 Oct 2019 09:09 #147545 by tommylight
@Clive,
No worries, we will try to find a way to make it work, and we do need your feedback as i do not have a scratch start plasma to test and most probably neither of other forum members with machines.
@Phill,
Thinking about it, OR is not needed, just omitting an existing line and adding another one, namely, omitting the line that activates the torch and wiring it to the switch in HAL.
@TheFabricator,
That is a good advice as they tend to cause less interferences and subsequently less issues with shielding and cable routing.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds