Problem loading PlasmaC for the first time

More
09 Oct 2019 09:42 #147547 by Clive S
Tommy Dumb question ; Is scratch start and HF start the same thing ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2019 10:39 #147550 by tommylight
No it is not, although given the huge ammount of wrong info on the net about plasma, i am not surprised.
HF stands for High Frequency, usually they are reffed to as HF/HV as that high frequency comes at a high voltage. Switch mode electeonics are used to produce a high frequency then raised to thausands of volts through a small HF transformer. Very reliable, causes a lot of RF interference.
High Voltage (HV) use high voltage but at mains frequency, derived from a transformer. Simpler and cheaper and highly reliable, but not as reliable as high frequency ones. Cause less interference, but still enough to mess things up if not grounded properly.
Blow back start, uses a means of shrting the electrode to the nozle and removes that short when the air is let through to cause an arc and subsequently start the plasma.
This is the most missinformed and missused naming in plasma industry, last i checked there where only two articles that properly explained it on the net, one writen by Jim Colt of Hypetherm fame.
A simple rule, if it does not have a moving part on the torch, it is NOT a blow back start.
Scratch start has none of the above, so it has to be draged through material to cause sparks and start cutting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chimeno, Clive S, thefabricator03

More
09 Oct 2019 11:12 - 09 Oct 2019 11:54 #147554 by Clive S
Tommy I have seen one of these on ebay www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYPERTHERM-POWERMAX-3...9:g:1J4AAOSwm79c97A4

I think the torch will fire in the air with this one. but it is only 30A the max I would want to cut is about 6-7 mm

I have found this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50A-Plasma-Cutter-Pil...CUT50P-/161778007256

It says pilot arc
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 11:54 by Clive S.

More
09 Oct 2019 15:06 #147569 by tommylight
Hypetherm in the link is way to expensive for a used one.
The second link is very cheap and for some short cuts it might do ok. It does have pilot arc and it is an inverter type plasma.
For now, please refrain from buying anything, let's try to make it work as is.
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds