Tiny Computer with Printer port

More
14 Jul 2012 02:39 #21933 by andypugh
lucrece_lu wrote:

around 10 watts

Mine seems happy on 12V / 600mA (according to the spec on the wall-wart). But I have not pushed it hard yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2012 16:24 #22009 by BigJohnT
I got mine today, but LinuxCNC is not installed. I see it has Ubuntu 8.04 installed and the user name is dmp, I will need the user pass word to install EMC2.

Does this computer support Ubuntu 10.04?

John

More
16 Jul 2012 16:27 #22011 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

I got mine today, but LinuxCNC is not installed. I see it has Ubuntu 8.04 installed and the user name is dmp, I will need the user pass word to install EMC2

1111 is the password according to Anthony. I booted in recovery mode and reset it, so can't confirm.

Does this computer support Ubuntu 10.04?

It boots from a USB with the LinuxCNC 10.04 LiveCD, but won't run LinuxCNC. The finger of suspicion currently points at LAPIC.

More
16 Jul 2012 16:30 #22012 by BigJohnT
Thanks Andy, and yes 1111 is correct.

John

More
16 Jul 2012 22:47 - 16 Jul 2012 22:48 #22043 by BigJohnT
I loaded the 10.04 LiveCD and LinuxCNC shows up but the network connection is now broken and I get an error message when I try and run a LinucCNC configuration or run the latency test.

I've attached the dmesg print out from the error.

File Attachment:

File Name: error-fcc4...6c10.txt
File Size:23 KB

If you can give us some ideas how you setup to run LinuxCNC it would help.

John
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2012 22:48 by BigJohnT.

More
17 Jul 2012 15:29 #22091 by ArcEye
Hi

Finally got to the bottom of the problems with set up.

The IDE is screwy, DMPs own site suggests that kernels before 2.6.28 don't support it properly.

This was reflected in 2.6.24 kernels not booting, with errors about not being able to find disc UUID or the root path expressed as /dev/sda1 etc

However later kernels did boot, both the stock 2.6.32-122-rtai and a 2 homebrew ones compiled by myself and Andy.

The problem then was that Linuxcnc would not run, throwing what was resolved to be a LAPIC error.
Since the GRUB commandline entry lapic had no effect, quite possible this processor does not use it, (APIC is a generic Intel thing) which makes it unlikely 10.04 will ever run on it?

Some further thought and experimentation led to my changing the BIOS IDE settings.
I changed IDE Operate Mode from Legacy to Native mode
Standard IDE Compatible was changed from Disabled to Enabled.

I then found that I could boot 2.6.24 kernels, both RT and generic, so long as they were on the first primary partition.
If you tried to boot from a second or extended partition, they failed as before.

CF card was reconfigured to one 8GB partition, put in a card reader of a machine that would boot the 8.04 Live CD and installed onto
( Set the installation to boot from the MBR of the CF card not hd0 or you will overwrite your machines MBR! )
/boot/grub/menu.lst edited to correct the root address

The resulting installation boots and runs Linuxcnc (well Emc2 2.3 at present)

Next step is to get the r6040 ethernet module working and then we can upgrade the system to 2.5 and start some meaningful testing

regards

More
19 Jul 2012 15:25 - 19 Jul 2012 15:45 #22203 by ArcEye
Hi

Getting the ethernet module (r6040) to compile for a 2.6.24 kernel proved a nightmare.

The r6040.c contained deprecated defines and functions and 2.6.24 from kernel.org proved almost unable to be compiled.
Apart from the header and code changes required, a lot of the constructs only worked with gcc 3.23 and now throw errors with gcc 4.xx

The kernel-source deb from Ubuntu was patched and appeared it would compile with the gcc supplied in Ubuntu 8.04
Unfortunately there were several compiler internal errors until a fatal one which threw a SIGFAULT and refused to pass over the offending code.

Anthony has supplied a pre-compiled kernel, headers, realtime and emc2 for Ubuntu 10.04

The kernel boots fine and at last there is a properly functioning r6040 module and synaptic works again.

The realtime package does not install properly, closing with errors part way through.
It appears unable to find install-sh, even though it exists in the path that it is looking for it

I manually extracted the files to /usr/realtime and ran make install on the pre-compiled emc package.

The resulting installation started emc but failed to load hal because the path it was using was /usr/lib/modules//usr/lib/modules/rtai or similar

So, I have recompiled a new CVS of magma, using the supplied .rtai-config with the addition of C99 maths support.
I have also recompiled a 2.5 RIP of Linuxcnc against the supplied kernel and realtime

The result:- I now have Linuxcnc 2.5 running on Ubuntu 10.04 on the NCBOX !!! Hurrah.

Tomorrow I will package the relevant files and discuss with JT where we can host them so that everyone else coming to this can do a straight forward download and install.

Thank you Anthony, the kernel was the edge we needed

regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 15:45 by ArcEye.

More
19 Jul 2012 15:51 - 19 Jul 2012 16:02 #22208 by ArcEye
And this 'proof of life' screenshot was posted from the NCBOX

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 16:02 by ArcEye.

More
19 Jul 2012 20:33 #22224 by BigJohnT
Sweet!

I can host the file on my web site.

John

More
22 Jul 2012 14:02 - 01 Aug 2012 16:49 #22318 by ArcEye
Post and links withdrawn - superseded by impending post
Last edit: 01 Aug 2012 16:49 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds