Another tab for WebCam

More
02 Nov 2011 08:04 #14506 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Yes, that must be it.

I had the same git pull on all 3 machines (quite an old one, but very stable).

About a month ago I did a new git pull on that machine to update something else, didn't realise the tabbing code had been incorporated.

Will test later, but I am sure you have it.

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2011 16:31 #14520 by ArcEye
Hi

Removing the tab embedding code from .axisrc worked with 2.6~pre. run on Ubuntu 8.04

Next problem was that emc halted with errors related to being unable to find emc.halio.
I had already removed the emc.halio from the chain in camviewcfg.

I edited emc-camview to prevent it from including emc.halio in the default internal chain, but it was not finding
camviewcfg for some reason, despite it being specified and being in the working directory.

Eventually found that the .ini entry required a fully qualified path to the config file, as in
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = camview-emc -C /home/bob/emc2/configs/Easimill/camviewcfg -w {XID}
(even ~/emc2/configs/Easimill/camviewcfg did not work)

Now fully up and running on 8.04. If I need the DRO values visible whilst using it, I can create pyvcp displays
to show them.

Thanks again for your work

More
15 Nov 2011 13:24 - 19 Nov 2011 10:50 #14834 by ArcEye
Hi

Had the camera out today, this is what the camera I recommended looks like mounted in a holder.
Holder is 36mm dia with 28mm bore for camera and a 20mm stub for mounting in a collet or collet chuck.

regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Nov 2011 10:50 by ArcEye.

More
19 Nov 2011 11:04 - 19 Nov 2011 11:08 #14941 by ArcEye
Hi

Just an update to testing, if anyone is thinking of using this camera.

The focus/zoom ring is not exactly concentric to the body, this means that altering the focus to sharpen the image will move the cross hair centre.

I have roughly focussed to the distance I want to work at and then super-glued the focus ring. I can make fine adjustments to focus by moving the Z axis up and down.
This solves one problem but not all.

You will never be able to remount the camera holder exactly as previously in terms of rotation within the spindle collet. Because the focus ring is not concentric, this means there will never be repeatability between mountings.

The overall effect is that the camera is not suited in this mounting to absolute positional measurement, but is perfectly good for incremental / relative measurement or positioning.

By which I mean, you cannot mount the camera go to a reference mark on the mill bed and be at the same co-ordinates every time.
There will be small inconsistancies no matter how careful you are.
You would think that you could go to the co-ordinates for the mark and tweak the camera rotation until it lines up perfectly, but it never seems to quite work like that.

But having established a reference point and zeroed co-ordinates to it, all subsequent measurements or moves are very accurate.

I will assess how much use I actually make of the camera and if it becomes integral to my working methods, will have to consider mounting within a rectangular block fixed to the side of the head, with parallax calculations made to arrive at a true centre point.

For now my use has been in making accurate measurements of existing components to duplicate them and it works well in this role measuring from an established datum point.

regards
Last edit: 19 Nov 2011 11:08 by ArcEye.

More
19 Nov 2011 21:47 #14955 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
ArcEye wrote:

You will never be able to remount the camera holder exactly as previously in terms of rotation within the spindle collet.

That might not matter. If you rotate the spindle a few degrees, the pixel you can look at without feeling seasick is the one on the spindle axis. :-)

Also, some spindles (BT, INT) have dogs so tend to go in the same way every time anyway (or one of two ways at least).

Can you mark the camera and the spindle in some way?

More
20 Nov 2011 07:42 #14959 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Just put mark on camera and the body of the spindle. And when need absolute measurment's just be sure to align marks before it.
But to be shure check if the camera is paralel to the Z axis.
Put some mark on the table and move camera as close as possible to the mark. (have mark in the centre of crosshair). Now go as far as possible (Z axis) and check if the mark is still in crosshair centre.
I have camera permanently in body of spindle and use constant offset.

More
20 Nov 2011 07:42 #14960 by ArcEye
Hi,
It's a R8 spindle so I have a locating groove plus my spindle has a locking latch for tool removal.
So if I bought another R8 20mm collet and left it permanently mounted in it, that might improve matters.

The inconsistancies are not huge, but enough to prevent any confidence in accuracy.

regards

More
20 Nov 2011 10:24 #14962 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Hello ArcEye,

It's a R8 spindle so I have a locating groove plus my spindle has a locking latch for tool removal.
So if I bought another R8 20mm collet and left it permanently mounted in it, that might improve matters.

That is pretty much what I did with a touch probe. Works well, but I had to make sure the shaft was a good fit for the collet (not slightly too small) to be accurate.
I also mounted the probe in the holder with 4 set screws 90 deg. apart so I could adjust the probe to center and lock in place.

Nice work.

Rick G

More
20 Nov 2011 10:41 #14963 by mhaberler
Replied by mhaberler on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
look at www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

he has a way of centering the crosshair such that axis inaccuracies are corrected

I think software compensation is the way to go with cheap cameras and optics

-m

More
20 Nov 2011 13:17 #14964 by ArcEye
Hi

Yes it's interesting, just a pity it is windoze only.

Looking at psha's crosshairs.c in the camview-emc sources, building an alternative plug-in with adjustment capability should not be beyond the wit of man.
Might take a bit of experimentation to work out what size offset units are required, I suspect they will be very small.

First I am going to try to iron out as much as possible mechanically.
I have ordered another 20mm R8 collet and will go for a permanently mounted holder in a collet.
Between the R8 collet locating groove and the spindle lock, that should give as repeatable mounting as I am going to achieve.

I may also go for Ricks 90 degrees apart set screws, camera to holder, to give a little adjustment plus extra solidity and see where I get too.

regards

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds