Planning - Bridgeport Interact 1 linuxCNC Retrofit

More
22 Feb 2016 14:32 #70482 by andypugh

cncnoob,

My bias would be to use physical switches. When I did my refit I decided that I would use physical switches for all controls that are used to manage machine operation and the touch screen only for setup stuff.

This is the design philosophy of the "Touchy" interface, and that is partly why that is the interface I use.

A Touchy control panel ends up looking a bit like this, one jogwheel and at least 3 buttons.
picasaweb.google.com/1081645046564043805...#5901893707971406962

I have since changed the theme and shrunk the menu bar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2016 04:06 #70598 by cncnoob1979
OK,

I'm going to go mechanical panel. So what do you think of this layout? I think it will meet all my needs and I think it looks pretty clean. Took me a bit to draw it out.

The little grey block is the vfd control panel, I didnt want to draw it out! lol
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2016 12:43 #70611 by andypugh
Some thoughts...

"E-Stop" is a more generic name than "Emerg-Off"

How many MPGs do you have? You might prefer one selector for X, Y, Z, Spindle, Feed, Rapid if there is only one. If there are two then perhaps have one switch for Axis choice and one for Over-ride choice.

Which GUI are you using? Some of the physical controls may not be needed if the GUI has the same.

More
25 Feb 2016 14:51 #70619 by cncnoob1979
Andy,

Good catch - I was a bit tired last night when I finished it! I'll change to E-Stop

I have one MPG located on the knee of the mill. I am currently using axis at the moment for a GUI but I may change to touchy at a later date. I was thinking that if I placed my controls as they are now, I can handle any GUI and any later changes to my setup. I may be duplicating existing GUI controls but I would have less "mouse" work to do this way.

The Overrides will be potentiometers, unless there is something easier to implement? What switches did you use? or did you use potentiometers as well. I'm just rough drafting here to get an idea of how I would like it to look/act.

Any skepticism or suggestions are welcomed!!

More
25 Feb 2016 15:44 #70624 by andypugh

The Overrides will be potentiometers, unless there is something easier to implement?

If the overrides are rotary knobs then the layout makes sense.

Potentiometers have the advantage of staying in the same place. You probably have some 8-bit analogue inputs available on one or more Mesa cards, if you look through the software modes.

The alternative to pots is little car-radio style encoders: www.ebay.com/itm/New-10pcs-12mm-Rotary-E...f:g:ONkAAOSwEetV~HXw
(2-bit gray-code is the same as quadrature).
If you can think of a use of the push-button function (reset to 100%?) then those might be a good choice.

More
25 Feb 2016 16:00 - 25 Feb 2016 16:11 #70627 by cncnoob1979

You probably have some 8-bit analogue inputs available on one or more Mesa cards, if you look through the software modes.

I'm sorry Andy I don't understand this statement.
Where can I go to read up on the Software Modes? I believe you are speaking of calling different software modules to interpret inputs a specific way?

I'll read up on my 7i77 manual for the inputs section to see if what you are speaking of is contained there.

EDIT: Found it
ANALOG INPUTS
All field input pins are capable of reading the input voltage. These are not highly
accurate or high resolution but can be useful for things like potentiometer inputs. Input
resolution is 8 bits and input full scale value is 36.3V. Accuracy is +-5%
Software process data modes 1 and 2 allow reading the analog voltage on inputs
0 through 3, in addition to the 32 digital bit inputs.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 16:11 by cncnoob1979.

More
25 Feb 2016 16:13 #70628 by csbrady
cncnoob, I like your layout, nice rendering. I am surprised that you included jog button since your machine has joy sticks that do the same thing and are more convenient.

For the overrides the 7i77 has 4, 8 bit analog inputs. You should take a look at my hal file to see how to connect those. You have to set the 7i77 SW mode to 2 when it is initialized. It's at the top of my hal file, but I don't recall the detail. If you have trouble finding it I can dig out the details. I thought about using an encoder, but want to know the position by looking at the knob.

More
25 Feb 2016 16:16 #70629 by andypugh

I'll read up on my 7i77 manual for the inputs section to see if what you are speaking of is contained there.

EDIT: Found it

Also:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html

the "sserial_port_N=" sections.

More
25 Feb 2016 17:17 #70630 by cncnoob1979
csbrady,

Thanks! Yes I also have both of the Joysticks connected and working with the machine. I included the buttons because I wanted another place to control the axis movement. A bit of duplication perhaps.

I was pondering the idea of using an axis selection switch with my MPG as well [Placing the switch directly on the knee beside the MPG]. That way you can stand in the same location and move each axis with the single MPG without having to reach for the Pendant. However that may get too complicated, still just a thought.

I got my 610C EXE box working with the MPG, with your HAL file it was a breeze to install and understand. Not exactly the way you have it, I had to hard code in the HAL file - so far every time I try to include in the INI I break something.. Ill get it one day!

Andy,

Thanks for the links and helping me out. Ill be reaching out to you and csbrady very soon with questions on how I messed up everything and ask you to help dig me out!

BTW, the link you posted earlier- to your panel-, I really like how well you built your panel. Quality work!

More
26 Feb 2016 14:55 #70673 by csbrady
cncnoob, I just realized that you don't have a servo enable button on your control panel. The way your mill is wired you need to have a a button or a relay to turn on the servos. I looked at eliminating the button, but decided that a switch was simpler and probably better.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds