Mini wannabe datron build

More
16 Jul 2024 20:35 #305405 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mini wannabe datron build
I buy stuff from CTC tools ex Hong Kong who don't sell garbage. Last buy was ER20 collets. If they don't have a listing they might source it for you.
As far as shipping, I have had stuff arrive from them in the same time as stuff ordered from interstate in Australia
www.ctctools.biz/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2024 20:58 #305411 by ihavenofish
k, running my tool mag properties through yaskawas calculator to figure out inertia. you do quickly get out of range, but the 40mm 50w will be fine as long as i take some time accelerating. 1-2 seconds to get up to speed.

This doesnt need to be high performance, just for function testing.

More
16 Jul 2024 20:59 #305412 by ihavenofish
Thanks. they don't have them. they are pretty impossible to find. I got these ones form amana tool, which I had thought would be reputable, but nope.

(for the record, anything worse then 0.0005" would be unacceptable here)

More
16 Jul 2024 21:20 #305415 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Mini wannabe datron build

k, running my tool mag properties through yaskawas calculator to figure out inertia. you do quickly get out of range, but the 40mm 50w will be fine as long as i take some time accelerating. 1-2 seconds to get up to speed.

This doesnt need to be high performance, just for function testing.

Understood.  Earlier post was just a mild warning, not a hard THOU SHALT NOT sort of thing.

And if you don't feel like fiddling with ethercat, maybe plug in a 7i85s to get another bucket of S&D outputs for the ATC motor?  Assuming you've got a spare port, of course.

More
16 Jul 2024 21:35 #305420 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mini wannabe datron build
1-2 secs accel sounds pretty terrible. This is where the low down torque of a stepper shines. I can get a plasma cutter to 10 m/min in 170 milliseconds with steppers.

This is not a CNC application but more of an industrial design problem. The work energy method is applicable
www.machinedesign.com/motors-drives/arti...rs-for-linear-motion
Here they use a 33% motion profile. For CNC, we settled on 1% profile
This video of mine explains further.
www.loom.com/share/64ef8fb135ad47bcaf006...33-b18f-4d63f2718a1b

More
16 Jul 2024 21:35 #305421 by ihavenofish
I have step and direction ports available. But i need to test ethercat, so i thought it would be nice if i can mix and match for testing
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
16 Jul 2024 21:45 #305423 by ihavenofish
The stepper has LESS torque, and we are using only about 1% of that anyway. It will still change tool to the next pocket in about half a second....

So no issues with torque. The issue is inertia ratio. Ideally I would have a 4:1 reduction and then I could whip the thing around 180 in 100 milliseconds... but we don't have that option right now. So as a result we have a quite high inertia ration, but since we also have a very simplistic motion path it should manage at slow acceleration.

I want also direct drive for now to test the absolute encoders on the servo with no other systems to cause me issues (like belts or gears and bearing assemblies)

Using a stepper would defeat much of the point of this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
17 Jul 2024 01:33 #305441 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Mini wannabe datron build
Sounds like you've got a solid plan.  Can't wait to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
17 Jul 2024 19:47 #305533 by ihavenofish
thanks. Now i just need some monies to waste on this!
anyone wanna buy some used pizza crusts?

ATC placement on the v1 machine (functionally the same as my current prototype). It's barely bigger than the servo.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Sep 2024 20:10 #310031 by ihavenofish
Progress on the design. Refinements, Tweaks. I got some quotes from JLC for machining and it might be viable to make these for people one at a time, complete with bead blasted anodised finishing. Frame kit with screws and rails, but nothing electrical. Need to get all the prices to the penny and then I will see if one adventurous person would like one. :)

Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds