QCad CAM

More
31 Oct 2013 23:28 #40457 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic QCad CAM
I see that QCad has a SVG import, but know nothing about that. If you had a sample SVG file is might be fun to play with it to see what QCad does when you import it.

A design like that would need to be on several layers with no intersecting lines on any layer otherwise the CAM script would be confused to to.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2013 01:49 #40464 by Sterling
Replied by Sterling on topic QCad CAM
Really? Hmmm...Ok.

I guess I'll find some something more simple and work on it,

Thanx!

More
01 Nov 2013 01:52 #40465 by Sterling
I see @ Rockler Pro, they have .05mm bits.
*WOW* I bet once I get the programming sorted out the detail will be crisp and clear!

More
01 Nov 2013 01:56 #40466 by BigJohnT
If you have a simple one you don't mind sharing, I'd like to take a look as well.

JT

More
01 Nov 2013 02:09 #40467 by mozmck
Replied by mozmck on topic QCad CAM

I see @ Rockler Pro, they have .05mm bits.
*WOW* I bet once I get the programming sorted out the detail will be crisp and clear!

Or, if you don't have very tight spindle bearings and very smooth XY movement - you'll have a bin full of broken bits! :)

More
06 Nov 2013 23:57 #40593 by Sterling
So.... I used the [Import Cad] option in QCAD.
The design is a looping cribbage board with a two layer pocket.

#1) I wanted to Move and Rotate the pockets in unison ever so slightly. (It was at an angle, and got too close to the holes for the cribbage pegs).

I wanted to do things one at a time, so first I [Moved] it. To check, I loaded it into LinuxCNC...It gave me an error (line two started with a '0') and so when I opened up the file to edit...it was in a code that I've never seen before, it is not in any type of ā€œGā€ code that I could understand.
In fact, while doing a search, G0 never appears, and the only time I could find G1 or G2 was at the end of a line.
$LOFTMAG1
-and-
$LOFTMAG2

Thoughts? Ideas? Help?

Thanx...

More
07 Nov 2013 02:12 #40597 by BigJohnT
So you imported a CAD file changed the resulting drawing then exported to a new CAD file?

Does the CAD file you imported contain any thing more than the common G codes like G0, G1, G2, G3?

Can you attach the CAD file?

JT

More
07 Nov 2013 09:20 #40615 by Sterling
No, none of the normal "G" code commands. :(

I'll see what I can do about finding that code...if you really want to see it. (I may have deleted it)

More
07 Nov 2013 09:44 #40616 by Sterling
Attached is the basis of how my problem began -

Regarding the code, the peg holes and the edge I did by hand, the pocket was created by importing an SVG file into www.makercam.com and having it perform the pocket function.

Now...there are some tweaks concerning the hand-written code (which I can do easily enough), but the pocket is the problem. I don't understand the code regarding curves and what I need to do, is straighten the pocket so the top and bottom are an even distance from the peg holes that border it. (I'm guessing that a rotation of approx 2 degrees would do it). But what happened the first time I tried it is that I made the rotation in QCAD, exported the GCODE, and replaced the initial code, but...Linux CNC gave me an error, stating that the arcs don't match up.

And so...the more tweaks and adjustments I made...the further from progress I went. :/

File Attachment:

File Name: SpiralNew-2-John.txt
File Size:65 KB
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2013 00:29 #40638 by Sterling
I just tried the SVG import in QCAD, and it appears that INKSCAPE doubled every line - that would prevent Makercam from creating a pocket.
So... I'll see if I can clean that up, rotate the image and import the code into my program.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds