QCad CAM

More
14 Feb 2014 20:42 #43855 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic QCad CAM
Create the arc the correct size then select the arc then divide it up. Then in a new layer put a point on each end point of the arc.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2014 21:36 - 14 Feb 2014 21:37 #43862 by Sterling
Replied by Sterling on topic QCad CAM
Groovy, thanx.

That is not too dissimilar to what I'm doing. I made a circle, and I'm counting out the measurements between each one and creating a drill point. I figure if I do half, I cna then copy & duplicate it to create the other half.
Then I'll just delete the circle.
(and run the program to see how inadequate my measurements were... ;) )
Last edit: 14 Feb 2014 21:37 by Sterling.

More
23 Feb 2014 21:28 #44080 by BigJohnT
Just to let you know I've updated my Mill G code generator to include counterbores. You may find it useful in some cases.

gnipsel.com/files/g-code-generator/

JT

More
04 Mar 2014 02:58 #44376 by Sterling
Import vs Export.
So, I export a saved drawing from QCAD using the [Lcnc_Mill] option and usually it works just fine.
Then I saw the Cam Import option.
It occurred to me that I should be able to load one of the Linux CNC, and since I noticed that one of the cribbage board patterns I wrote by hand needed a little modifying, I saved it on the Linux machine, from *.txt to the *.ngc extension (the only option available).
...and...
It didn't work. QCAD only offers the *cnc and *.nc file extensions. And when I expanded it to all files, I could see and 'select' the file...but it didn't load.

Anybody know of a work-around? Can I save the Linux files using a different extension?

Thanx!

>>> J

More
05 Mar 2014 20:51 #44435 by BigJohnT
You can use any extension you like but if the file format is different than QCad expects it may not work. I must have imported a file before just by changing the extension to .nc.

JT

More
21 Mar 2014 13:14 #45023 by SrLange61
Replied by SrLange61 on topic QCad CAM
I've finally go my Qcad-CAM 2d config file into a reasonable showoff state.
The file sits alongside the standard file and then selected in the CAM dialog.
Z depth and tool compensation can be set using custom properties or capital letters in the layer names.

I finally did some real world testing and it works! :)

You can find more info on the Qcad forum.

srl
Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2014 03:01 #45288 by Sterling
Okay...this is a new one;

I am attempting to make a POCKET. I have drawn out the outline in QCAD, loaded it into LinuxCNC and it looks just swell!

So then I draw in the pocket. Making each line approximately .125 apart (using a .25" bit) until I reach the middle.

One end is a semi-circle, and to make that I selected from the menu=
[Arc Tools], then [2 points and Angle]. I clicked one end, and brought it to the other end, enclosing the shape. = it worked just swell.

HOWEVER -
When I do this with the pocket operation, I'm getting an error that "radius to end of arc differs from radius to start"

I don't know how that can be. I used the 'snap-to-grid' and in the Properties window everything checks out~!

The first one worked just fine...In the event that there are too many for Qcad to understand/process, I will delete every other one and try it again.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanx -

>>> Sterl

More
27 Mar 2014 07:33 #45299 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic QCad CAM

When I do this with the pocket operation, I'm getting an error that "radius to end of arc differs from radius to start"

How many digits is the CAM using? LinuxCNC is rather finicky about arc numbers, and might need more precision in the numbers (if you can change that in the CAM)

More
27 Mar 2014 15:19 #45305 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic QCad CAM

I used the 'snap-to-grid'

I recently used LibreCAD, which is a debian fork of QCad, using Qt4 instead of Qt3

I had endless problems with joining arcs. No matter how much you enlarged the view the lines seemed to meet, but the gcode paths did not.
I discovered this when deleting part of an entity to find it was comprised of far more sections than it should have done.

I then used 'snap to entity' which gave apparantly the same result, but in fact ensured that the paths met at a precise point.

May not be your actual problem, but worth bearing in mind

regards

More
28 Mar 2014 15:42 #45333 by SrLange61
Replied by SrLange61 on topic QCad CAM
I beleave your error may have to do with relative-absolute I and J values. Standard Qcad-CAM , Linuxcnc and my Geko 540 uses relative.
I have noticed Andrew has written a absolute config file.

srl

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds