Emergency STOP on mesa card 7i76e

More
15 Nov 2022 18:20 #256792 by rodw
looks right. AS my MAchine grew, I did not run the mains power to subsequent estops and used an estop-latch chain. THe motor disable relay still disbales motion if its pressed.(one is on a wireless pendant.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2022 22:12 #256805 by scotth
I use the E-stop output from the mesa board to drive a solid state relay in the E-stop string.
Then I use the enable output to enable drives.
Your drawing should work.

Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69

More
15 Nov 2022 22:20 #256807 by Sray69

looks right. AS my MAchine grew, I did not run the mains power to subsequent estops and used an estop-latch chain. THe motor disable relay still disbales motion if its pressed.(one is on a wireless pendant.)

I definitely am interested in learning how to do this but I have spent too much time just getting to where I am at. Unless it is easy to adapt my current diagram then I think this may need to wait until I get this thing up and running smooth.

I will most likely bring this topic up at a later date.

Thanks!

More
15 Nov 2022 22:22 #256808 by Sray69

I use the E-stop output from the mesa board to drive a solid state relay in the E-stop string.
Then I use the enable output to enable drives.
Your drawing should work.

Scott

Scott,
Do you have a diagram showing your E-stop circuit? Are you using the 7i76e?

Thanks

More
16 Nov 2022 15:02 #256863 by scotth
Entertaining the Boss last night. I will need to move to the Windows system to see if I can draw up an example.

More
16 Nov 2022 17:19 #256873 by scotth
Well, not as fast or neat as it should be. I added ES3 as an example, you could add 100 switches if needed. N.O. switches form an or gate. N.C. switches form an and gate. Master E-STOP relay controls all power you need switched off to protect your LIFE!!!  
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2022 18:41 #256876 by scotth
Things I have learned over the years.
1. Protect yourself.
2. Don't trust logic to protect you.
3. Electricity always takes the best path to ground. (a good thing to remember)

Wear your safety glasses, don't trust your meters or anyone to protect you.
Test your equipment before use and then double check it.

I'm seventy-two and can still count to twenty. I have two eyes that still work and only a slight limp because of my lack of judgement and my motorcycle. Furthermore, I still remember a lot of my mistakes. I have spent my entire life in a machine shop, from the time I could crawl and discovered machine tools are stupid and will hurt you if you give them the chance.

I made my living trying to find out what went wrong, Computers, and machine tools do what they think is the right thing, which is not always correct.

Design your safety circuits to protect you, the machine can be repaired, sometimes you can't.

BE SAFE
Protect YOURSELF
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight

More
16 Nov 2022 19:30 #256884 by tommylight
I will just add:
Wear good sneakers/jogging shoes with thick rubber bottom.
They will save your life whenever you wander into the danger zone.
Also never use both hands when messing with electronics while they are powered.
Use GFI, or whatever they are called, FID in Europe, at 30 Euro a piece i have them installed even on extension cables.
Those will also save your life.
Choose ones with 30mA delta, not the 300mA ones.

More
16 Nov 2022 21:48 #256900 by Sray69
Yes, great advice guys! I am somewhat new to the CNC world but not new to metal & wood shop equipment/tools. I have always been cautious when using my tools. I have been very lucky so far.

GFI, good call! I had not even thought that far ahead yet but will use them.

Question: If I am running a breaker before the PSU's, should I also run fuses between the PSU's and the components? Seems a little redundant but I have read some posts where people do.

More
16 Nov 2022 21:50 #256902 by Sray69

Well, not as fast or neat as it should be. I added ES3 as an example, you could add 100 switches if needed. N.O. switches form an or gate. N.C. switches form an and gate. Master E-STOP relay controls all power you need switched off to protect your LIFE!!!  

Thanks for the drawings! I will look them over. I have learned two ways of setting up the E-stop safety circuits. I am interested in seeing others as well. It helps me understand things better. 

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds