A Widescreen Blender-Style Interface

More
03 Jul 2018 05:10 - 03 Jul 2018 12:48 #113295 by BrendaEM
Wow, you got out those indicators even before the paint was dry on the Inkscape file!

Oh, I wish something could be done to antialias the 3D preview. : )

With the bitmaps, I worry about memory. With plots and vectors, I worry about speed, and who's going to be able to draw a milling bit in vector.

Even if the pics were in vector, they could be sped up by creating bitmaps, so I wonder if bitmaps are the way to go.

I can just see people, taking cellphone pics of their bits, their cutting bits, and napkin sketches of their tools. I like accessible and modifiable over sophisticated.

I am going to have to drop the incremental indicator text size a bit to allow 8 characters for a tool name. They have a three digit number. If anyone has more than 999 toolbits, do complain, but first, send me some.

The promote/demote buttons need to live on the left, where they were in the beginning.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 12:48 by BrendaEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2018 16:22 #113334 by tommylight

What is to be done about github; they are owned by Microsoft now, the company 2nd only to Oracle for their desire to kill open source everything.

Not true for Oracle, they own MySQL and it is still free and they made some nice improvements to it.

More
03 Jul 2018 16:59 - 03 Jul 2018 17:10 #113335 by BrendaEM
Um, OpenOffice, the big LibreOffice spit, and there's the whole I'll sue anyone who uses Java thing.

From Wikipedia:
"The petition of 50,000+ developers and users called upon the European Commission to block approval of the acquisition. "

...But, as revealed by WikiLeaks, the US Department of Justice, at the request of Oracle, pressured the EU to approve the merger unconditionally.[73] The European Commission eventually unconditionally approved Oracle's acquisition of MySQL on 21 January 2010."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL#Legal_disputes_and_acquisitions

I've had friend who work for Oracle. I used to stay at a company house right next to Oracle Belmont. Still, in my opinion Oracle is not to be trusted.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 17:10 by BrendaEM.

More
03 Jul 2018 17:27 #113336 by skunkworks
In the axis gui under the 'view' menu is a setting 'Alpha-blend program'. This does some magic to make the preview look nicer...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ, BrendaEM

More
03 Jul 2018 18:31 - 03 Jul 2018 19:46 #113339 by KCJ
skunkworks alpha blend simply adds some transparency to the backploted paths, literally all it does is take the RGB color and append an alpha channel to it. It is amazing how much better it makes the backplot look, especially for programs with a lot of paths like your example. I don't know why it is not the default display mode, probably some historical reason...

I've been looking into enabling anti-aliasing, it appears that the QGLWidget that Chris is using for the QtVCP backplot supports it, but I can't figure out how to enable it successfully. So far I've just got the backplot to look like TV static, but that is kinda the opposite of what I am trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Kurt
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 19:46 by KCJ.

More
03 Jul 2018 19:52 #113344 by BrendaEM
Many systems woudn't have the horsepower to do this, but the window could be rendered and resampled bicubic. This is what nVidia DSR Factors does.

More
03 Jul 2018 20:09 #113345 by BrendaEM
* Rearranged file menu.

I am experimenting with making the panels a different color, so they would be recognized more easily. I tried a gradiant to simulate a keyboard concavity, but that just added confusion. This isn't bad.

Attachments:

More
03 Jul 2018 21:33 - 03 Jul 2018 21:33 #113349 by BrendaEM
So far, the interface is divided into:
  • Menus are menu sheets.
  • Controls are specific machines.
  • Panels are reusable widgets.
  • Jogs are jogging control sets.
  • Readouts are the center-left numerical displays.

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 21:33 by BrendaEM.

More
04 Jul 2018 03:24 #113371 by persei8
Your keyboard has 2 P's. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrendaEM

More
04 Jul 2018 03:28 #113373 by rodw

Your keyboard has 2 P's. :)

Thats the nuke button or is it Puke???
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrendaEM

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds