A Widescreen Blender-Style Interface

More
26 Jul 2018 21:16 - 26 Jul 2018 21:18 #114914 by BrendaEM
Aaroncnc, thank you. I appreciate the support. The interface proposal is mostly done. So far, I am working on design and control arrangement, trying to find common ground for the other interfaces--all in the style of Blender3D.

Having set up my machine using a parallel port adapter, I understand the merits of using parallel port.

(For those people who don't know: Most 3D printers can run their Gcode code from USB. In my use, I have ran Gcode over 700,000 lines, long without problems, code problems anyway.)

Still other interfaces may be coming. Parallel ports may not be the last word in the future.

As far as the interface, the Machine menu has been included the screenshots for weeks.

Except for the spindle control, which are a big grumble of mine, I am trying to consider: What settings are universal to all CNC machines and axi.

Grijalvap, currently, there is a method to lock out the Machine UI using the "Enable/Disable/Config" menu, but perhaps a password would be a good idea. How are configurations locked out with StepConf.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2018 21:18 by BrendaEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2018 21:26 #114915 by andypugh

Still other interfaces may be coming. Parallel ports may not be the last word in the future.

Parallel ports are very much not the last work _now_.

The optimum at the moment is possibly Ethernet.

More
26 Jul 2018 21:43 #114916 by BrendaEM
I had wrote that I wish there was something to keep a table pair feeds and speeds for use in semi-manual milling (such as when the heads of a car engine need to be milled flat, or in my case...)

In using NativeCam to mill some slots in my homemade holddowns, I noticed that NativeCAM keeps feeds and speeds for its bit change. It's also interesting that NativeCAM uses Axis's tool table, and it would be interesting again, if this interface could use NativeCAM's feeds and speeds for a particular material. That would be slick.

[Sidenote: because there have been requests, the interface's tool table holds more metadata than the current tool table, which could be kept in an additional file, marrying tools to their diagrams.]

My other thoughts were because this interface was designed to work with plugi-ns, a Feeds/Speed plugin could be created, at some point--or perhaps something could be integrated in the large jog, at some point.

[For my little hold-downs, which are 1/2" (~13mm) thick aluminum, I did milled the ends after sawing them. I noticed that I liked continuously steering the mill around--yet--I liked a preset z-step-down.]

More
26 Jul 2018 23:23 #114919 by InMyDarkestHour
Shouldn't the "control interface" be "hardware interface" neutral ?

With 3D printers and usb, aren't most of them similar in operation to GRBL ? The PC sends the gcode via usb and the 3D printer micro controller handles the motion control ?

More
28 Jul 2018 21:11 #115028 by Aaroncnc
So i have a copy of linuxcnc running that i am playing around with how to i get the updates to test out your UI?
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere in the thread.

More
29 Jul 2018 07:43 #115045 by cmorley
After mocking the run menu very roughly in qtvcp, I find the gcode editor may be too narrow to see a lot of the code, forcing one to scroll. i wonder if moving the editor above the graphics and putting the graphics on the far left would help in that regard?

Chris M

More
29 Jul 2018 21:40 #115078 by andypugh
I just gave some more thought to the number of digits. 10 is too many.
It makes it harder to read, and the extra digits tell you how many atoms there are on the part. They add noise, not information.

So, why not move the ABS / REL and mm / inch displays inside the box. That keeps the aspect ratio and gives more information.

More
29 Jul 2018 22:04 - 29 Jul 2018 22:24 #115080 by BrendaEM
Sorry for the delayed response.

Aaroncnc, currently, it's just a design I am going to release as a proposal.

Andypugh, I have you covered. There's a Mantissa setting in the Settings menu : )
(The Jog Increments may match the Grid Sizes in a later version, if anyone wants more settings. "Pathmatic" is just a dummy plug-in name.)

Chris Mmorley, Is this better?
I had planned to add Copy/Paste/Keys, as well.

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jul 2018 22:24 by BrendaEM.

More
29 Jul 2018 22:10 - 29 Jul 2018 22:13 #115081 by BrendaEM
I reworked the Machine Menu. Expanded spindle controls remain.
* Added StepConf button.
* Removed/Deferred Screw/Pulley Calculator to StepConf
* Larger Jog Test Buttons.
* Added Axis Type Radio Button

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jul 2018 22:13 by BrendaEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Jul 2018 22:24 #115084 by Grotius
Hi Brenda,

Short question. I have no experience with blender style. Is it possible to download some old project file's?
Then i can evaluate the difference in code related to the "normal" linuxcnc screen's.
I am curious about the advantage of blender style...

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds