Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
02 Jun 2018 06:28 #111447 by AGK
Yes, its done. And now, I can't take the how-to of "wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl". Please, how is the new syntax and the next step?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2018 09:03 #111449 by InMyDarkestHour

Yes, its done. And now, I can't take the how-to of "wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl". Please, how is the new syntax and the next step?

What exactly are you trying to do ?

What steps have you been able to do ?

What part of the wiki are you talking about ?

More
02 Jun 2018 10:50 #111452 by AGK
I want to do that: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Translation

I think I have done this:
sudo sudo apt-get install git-core git-gui gitk
git config --global user.name "Your full name"
git config --global user.email "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it."

And at least the connection check:
git clone git://github.com/zultron/smictrl.git
I had it misunderstood, no new source, only for checking. No new syntax.

And now the connection check well done, but the connection to "git clone git: //git.linuxcnc.org/git/emc2.git linuxcnc-dev" don't work for me?

More
02 Jun 2018 11:26 - 02 Jun 2018 11:33 #111453 by InMyDarkestHour

I want to do that: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Translation

I think I have done this:
sudo sudo apt-get install git-core git-gui gitk
git config --global user.name "Your full name"
git config --global user.email "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it."

And at least the connection check:
git clone git://github.com/zultron/smictrl.git
I had it misunderstood, no new source, only for checking. No new syntax.

And now the connection check well done, but the connection to "git clone git: //git.linuxcnc.org/git/emc2.git linuxcnc-dev" don't work for me?

That is very old and will not work.

This is what you need to use, but you have previously tried and this did not work.
git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev

Can you try this and paste the ouput:
GIT_TRACE=2 git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 11:33 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
02 Jun 2018 13:21 #111455 by AGK
Here the output, It seems that it work now.

agk@debian:~$ GIT_TRACE=2 git clone git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
trace: built-in: git 'clone' 'git://github.com/linuxcnc/linuxcnc.git' 'linuxcnc-dev'
Cloning into 'linuxcnc-dev'...
trace: run_command: 'index-pack' '--stdin' '-v' '--fix-thin' '--keep=fetch-pack 1701 on debian'
trace: exec: 'git' 'index-pack' '--stdin' '-v' '--fix-thin' '--keep=fetch-pack 1701 on debian'
trace: built-in: git 'index-pack' '--stdin' '-v' '--fix-thin' '--keep=fetch-pack 1701 on debian'
remote: Counting objects: 203281, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (286/286), done.
remote: Total 203281 (delta 338), reused 584 (delta 326), pack-reused 202669
Receiving objects: 100% (203281/203281), 116.82 MiB | 1.84 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (154990/154990), done.
Checking out files: 100% (5093/5093), done.
agk@debian:~$

More
02 Jun 2018 15:20 #111460 by InMyDarkestHour

More
03 Jun 2018 06:36 #111499 by AGK
Yes it works. Can I see somewhere if individual chapters have already been translated or worked on? Currently I can only see it if I open a de.txt-file and look if the content in German. Exist a easier way to prof this?

More
03 Jun 2018 15:08 #111511 by Sparky961

After trying multiple 64 bit installations on ubuntu and mint with compiling different kernels. I found the simple solution over here

iso file debian stretch 64 bit super fast program, super stability, linux and glade pre installed debian 64 bit with linuxcnc

I should have been following this thread earlier, as it is very relevant to what I'm having trouble with as well. I admit I haven't read each post yet but I intend to when I have some spare time.

In reading this one, it got me wondering if there's a different version of Glade that's installed for amd64 than i386.

See this thread for my "journey": forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/34646-ui-deve...vironment-setup-help

It's a little fuzzy now with all the different things I've tried since, but I'm sure that I didn't see Glade (at least in the Applications->Development menu) after installing. I installed glade packages and got into trouble with versions, compatibility, and missing libraries. As things stand, I can have either a version with uspace or a working glade development environment but not both.

I've downloaded a few versions of Mint to try next.

More
03 Jun 2018 15:59 #111514 by InMyDarkestHour
There are 2.7 uspace packages available to install.

Download the Linuxcnc 2.7 iso.

Then do this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace

Job done.

Or if you want I can guide you through how to compile 2.8 for wheezy. There is even a script to install the few extra packages needed.

More
03 Jun 2018 16:18 #111517 by Sparky961

There are 2.7 uspace packages available to install.
Download the Linuxcnc 2.7 iso.

Then do this:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace

Indeed, this does look like the easier route. I'm in the process of doing exactly this right now to see how well it works. At the same time I'm seeing what it takes to get the equivalent working with Mint, though I don't see an advantage to one over the other so the easiest setup will win for me.

Maybe you can answer a related question while we're at it: Is 'apt-get dist-upgrade' a completely safe and reliable thing to do after installing a new distribution? It seems to be very invasive and download a lot of data. I'm on a slower rural ground-based wireless ISP and I just let it run overnight because it was taking so long. At some point the connection must have been dropped, or reset, or otherwise failed because I had to restart them (running both VirtualBox sessions at the same time) when I woke up this morning. The LinuxCNC 2.7 install has since completed, while Mint 17.1 is still going.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds