Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
14 Apr 2019 09:43 #130838 by newbynobi
Do you realy think new users should install linuxcnc this way?
IMHO this way is only for experienced users, that want to test new stuff to find ways to make it avalible for future release.

All of us are allowed to make a wiki page and mantain that one up to date, that way i made thefirst dokumentation for gmoccapy and today it is included in linuxcnc. If you read one of the first gmoccapy threads, you will notice, that they are as confusing as this one.

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2019 09:51 #130840 by InMyDarkestHour
The funny thing is if you read thru the whole some questions have been asked multiple times.

Maybe it would be better if there were just packages made for Mint in the official channels.
And honestly if you are new to Linux why would you want to spend hours trying to compile a huge app such as Linuxcnc when there are DVD's that you can run live ?
Mint & Ubuntu are, IMHO, a bit heavy resource wise, compared to a Debian install with xfce.

More
14 Apr 2019 11:51 #130844 by rodw

Do you realy think new users should install linuxcnc this way?
IMHO this way is only for experienced users, that want to test new stuff to find ways to make it avalible for future release.

Norbert

To be fair, this thread started before the Stretch ISO was available. At that time, the only way to get a PREEMPT_RT build on modern hardware was to compile the Linux Kernel. Once you get that far, compiling Linuxcnc is a walk in the park!

Chris Morley got permission from the Mint guys to build a Linuxcnc distro using their build. So if someone wanted to take it on, that would be a great step forward. I have found Mint to be nicer than Stretch.

But today, this thread is largely obsoleted by the Stretch build

More
14 Apr 2019 18:50 - 14 Apr 2019 18:54 #130866 by InMyDarkestHour
I did make a mint iso with linuxcnc, I got the feeling I did A BAD THING.
I found Mint to be a “bit heavy” anyways. After playing around with Stretch and a pressed file I put together my own Stretch install iso that installs Stretch how I like it with some extra apps and the whisker menu.
After mirroring the whole Stretch Debian repo I can do installs via PXE to test stuff out.

Almost forgot I did some research and work to make the fonts look better.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 18:54 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
23 Oct 2019 22:46 #148645 by Samuelx
This is how far i got When I Was following POST 2 = USPACE PREEMPT Building Kernel and LinuxCNC from source and creating a .deb to Install.

dpkg-checkbuilddeps
no broblems anymore, installed missing packets

git checkout 2.7 [what ever branch you want, or skip this step for master]
I skipped the above command

debuild -uc -us
After this command, it made a work long time.

and got this error:

Makefile:653: recipe for target 'install-python' failed
make[1]: *** [install-python] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/samuelx/linuxcnc-dev/src'
debian/rules:61: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1376:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

More
23 Oct 2019 23:33 #148657 by andypugh
Making debs is one of the more difficult steps. And isn't really necessary in most cases.
For a single installation on your own machine it is easier to run run-in-place with menu items / shortcuts pointing at the scripts/linuxcnc script in the code repository.

More
24 Oct 2019 11:38 #148691 by Samuelx
This thread started a long time ago.
I notice that newest Mint is 19.2
and newest RT is 5.2.21
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/

Do I need to use newest versions or go with 18.1
and 4.9.4-RT2
like suggested

Sorry if the question is dum. First time I use linux was a week ago, so I am total newbie.

My computer is Dell T3500
Intel Xeon W3530 / 2.8 GHz
Max Turbo Speed 3.06 GHz
Number of Cores Quad-Core
64-bit Computing Yes
Chipset Type Intel X58 Express
Processor Main Features Hyper-Threading Technology, Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Processor Socket LGA1366 Socket

More
24 Oct 2019 15:36 - 24 Oct 2019 16:18 #148707 by cncnoob1979
Hey guys/gals!!

Sorry I was not able to support this thread any longer. The forum rules changed and I could no longer edit my posts. So this became unmanageable and I do not have the time necessary for full support. I was just trying to help the people trying to get into linuxcnc.

To answer the question of which distro revision: if you follow the post 2 and successfully install on the older revison, I would then apply what you have learned to the newer distro’s, then tinker as much as you want.

In other words; remember you are new and unsure of yourself. Therefore don’t try new things until you have a successful install. That will build your confidence, and reduce your questions and errors.

EDIT:

For giggles and grins I just checked to see if I could edit my 3 primary Post's, and yes, yes I can. If there is enough interest I can edit these post and update them to the latest revisions. I think a .pdf would be more appropriate or perhaps leave them as they are right now.

Any suggestions, or requests? It will take me awhile because I will need to update my machine to the latest as well. Could be fun right?

I think as they are would be better because it can reach the highest audiences. [as well as dev tools such as, auto translate ect..]
Last edit: 24 Oct 2019 16:18 by cncnoob1979.

More
11 Mar 2020 11:46 #159771 by prochj51
Hey guys,

I am trying to install linuxcnc according to this awesome thread on my Ubuntu 16.04 32bit.
I wanted to start according to the POST 2.
I do
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then I hit this
sudo apt-get install devscripts build-essential imagemagick texlive-font-utils tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libxaw7-dev libncurses-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev dblatex groff python-dev python-tk libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev asciidoc source-highlight libboost-python-dev texlive-lang-cyrillic debhelper texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-german libmodbus-dev dvipng libusb-1.0-0-dev graphviz inkscape python-numpy python-imaging-tk python-gtkglext1 tclreadline blt bwidget libtk-img tclx libudev-dev gstreamer0.10-plugins-base python-vte libqt4-dev libssl-dev texlive-lang-polish w3c-linkchecker libxenomai-dev git python-pil.imaget

the most of the packages install smoothly, but at the end I get this output
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 python-imaging-tk : Depends: python-imaging (= 1.1.7-4) but 3.1.2-0ubuntu1.3 is to be installed
 python-pil.imagetk : Breaks: python-imaging-tk (< 1.1.7+2.0.0-1.1)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

It looks like one dependency breaks the other. I tried to delete of of the packages but I had the problems further in the installation
so I went back here. And I do not how to solve this problem to not break the further install process.

Thank you for any ideas.

jiri

More
11 Mar 2020 13:46 #159772 by tommylight

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds