Complete HOW-TO Linux Mint 18.1 32/64 RTAI or PREEMPT with RIP install or deb

More
14 Apr 2019 09:43 #130838 by newbynobi
Do you realy think new users should install linuxcnc this way?
IMHO this way is only for experienced users, that want to test new stuff to find ways to make it avalible for future release.

All of us are allowed to make a wiki page and mantain that one up to date, that way i made thefirst dokumentation for gmoccapy and today it is included in linuxcnc. If you read one of the first gmoccapy threads, you will notice, that they are as confusing as this one.

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2019 09:51 #130840 by InMyDarkestHour
The funny thing is if you read thru the whole some questions have been asked multiple times.

Maybe it would be better if there were just packages made for Mint in the official channels.
And honestly if you are new to Linux why would you want to spend hours trying to compile a huge app such as Linuxcnc when there are DVD's that you can run live ?
Mint & Ubuntu are, IMHO, a bit heavy resource wise, compared to a Debian install with xfce.

More
14 Apr 2019 11:51 #130844 by rodw

newbynobi wrote: Do you realy think new users should install linuxcnc this way?
IMHO this way is only for experienced users, that want to test new stuff to find ways to make it avalible for future release.

Norbert

To be fair, this thread started before the Stretch ISO was available. At that time, the only way to get a PREEMPT_RT build on modern hardware was to compile the Linux Kernel. Once you get that far, compiling Linuxcnc is a walk in the park!

Chris Morley got permission from the Mint guys to build a Linuxcnc distro using their build. So if someone wanted to take it on, that would be a great step forward. I have found Mint to be nicer than Stretch.

But today, this thread is largely obsoleted by the Stretch build

More
14 Apr 2019 18:50 - 14 Apr 2019 18:54 #130866 by InMyDarkestHour
I did make a mint iso with linuxcnc, I got the feeling I did A BAD THING.
I found Mint to be a “bit heavy” anyways. After playing around with Stretch and a pressed file I put together my own Stretch install iso that installs Stretch how I like it with some extra apps and the whisker menu.
After mirroring the whole Stretch Debian repo I can do installs via PXE to test stuff out.

Almost forgot I did some research and work to make the fonts look better.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 18:54 by InMyDarkestHour.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds