LinuxCNC on Debian 10 Buster quick and easy install

More
09 Oct 2020 22:06 - 09 Oct 2020 22:28 #185515 by Mduran
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 22:28 by Mduran.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2020 23:32 #185517 by Mduran
hi beagle,

installing linuxcnc git checkout 2.8 was fine, at the time of doing the instruction
"sudo make setuid" I get the following:

chown root ../bin/rtapi_app
chmod 4750 ../bin/rtapi_app
chown root ../bin/linuxcnc_module_helper
chmod 4750 ../bin/linuxcnc_module_helper
Now you need to run 'sudo make setuid' to be able to run it instead with hardware access.

but when reviewing, linuxcnc has not yet been installed on my machine I tried "linuxcnc in terminal" but I get that it doesn't recognize it, I still need something to install?

More
09 Oct 2020 23:43 - 09 Oct 2020 23:53 #185518 by BeagleBrainz
Usually it's an good idea to read any README files in the source tree of any code you intend on building. Most of your issues would have been solved much quicker. Just saying.
Just read the docs, the devs spend time creating them, please take the time to read them, it's only polite.

linuxcnc.org/docs/master/html/code/build...cnc.html#Quick-Start
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 23:53 by BeagleBrainz.

More
10 Oct 2020 00:48 #185523 by Mduran
that guide is to run linuxcnc in place, without having the linuxcnc executable fura.

I did not use an image provided by linuxcnc.org, I am using a clean distribution of debian 10, I installed the preemp -rt kernel to be able to use uspace and followed this tutorial:

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3559...w-to-install?start=0

but they use a linuxcnc.org distro with the "linuxcnc already included"

so I think what I need is to install:

echo deb linuxcnc.org/ buster base 2.8-rtpreempt | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc.list

apart from the one that is installed in place with the "RIP" to be able to configure ethercat.

No linuxcnc RIP installation required to configure ethercat?

More
10 Oct 2020 02:13 #185529 by BeagleBrainz
Since you were compiling from source and running make setuid it was right to assume you wanted a run in place installation.

Did you sign a NDA with yourself that prevents you from actually stating what you want to do ?

More
10 Oct 2020 02:17 #185530 by phillc54

Since you were compiling from source and running make setuid it was right to assume you wanted a run in place installation.

That is exactly what I assumed as well.

More
10 Oct 2020 02:20 #185531 by Mduran
Rather, since I'm new to installing this from LinuxCNC, I don't know how to explain it well.

In summary what I want is to have the LinuxCNC executable not in place to be able to create QTVCP GUIS with qtdesigner and make it work with ethercat

More
10 Oct 2020 02:27 #185533 by phillc54

Rather, since I'm new to installing this from LinuxCNC, I don't know how to explain it well.

In summary what I want is to have the LinuxCNC executable not in place to be able to create QTVCP GUIS with qtdesigner and make it work with ethercat

You can use Designer and create Qtvcp GUI's in both a package install and a run in place install. Ethercat I would assume to be the same, is it not just some addon components.

More
10 Oct 2020 02:30 #185534 by Mduran
Yes, but since it is for a client who has no Linux experience at all, I want it to be executable and not have to be executing the scripts from the console

More
10 Oct 2020 02:32 #185535 by phillc54
Well then why not just use one of the prebuilt packages?

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds