More
12 Aug 2020 04:41 #177984 by lrak
python-gtksourceview2_2.10.1-3_amd64.deb is no longer in sid
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=947854

Added :
deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
to /etc/apt/sources.list and did:
$ apt-get install -t stretch python-gtksourceview2

Not finding where the hostmot2 debian package is? - appears to need a special source?

Best would be if someone can post the contents of sources.list of the ISO for me?

How different is 2.8 from 2.9? (for someone running mesa )

(New to linuxcnc - old time Debian user )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2020 06:08 #177985 by tommylight
It works

-
Hostmot2 firmware can be downloaded form the www.Mesanet.com website for their cards, but it is not needed for most of the cards as they have it in a flash memory, but they are needed if there is a need to change the existing internal configuration of those cards.
Is this regarding this:
Attachments:

More
14 Aug 2020 12:40 #178180 by seuchato

Off curse I had to specify a root passwd, so I had to remove all the sudo references in your script.

It is important _not_ to specify a root password in the Debian installer as this disables sudo for all users.

LinuxCNC relies on setuid, so needs sudo.

This is mentioned briefly in the Buster install notes:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel

Hi Andy
Will get anther pc to play with your iso. The reference you provide does a lot of sudo stuff. That is while installing. As menstioned. I could get around the sudo stuff easily, logging in a terminal and change to root, then running all commands without the preceeding sudo. I do run a number of servers and have come to convince myself, a root passwd is helpful. Also, I can run axis and the latency tests without any problems as a different user.
So: where after installng LinuxCNC does need sudo?

Greez
chris

PS: Great work! Thanks a ton!

More
16 Aug 2020 04:01 - 16 Aug 2020 04:12 #178348 by lrak
A bit misleading on:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel
This isn't exactly true:
"Warning Do not enter a root password, if you do sudo is disabled and you won’t be able to complete the following steps."

Non of those steps require sudo. They work just fine with a root password - just become root and leave out the sudo (or you might want to configure sudo so you still use it for GUI applications.)
Easy to set up - just make a file (replace "user" with your user name) /etc/sudoers.d/local with :
cat /etc/sudoers.d/local 
# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
user    ALL=(ALL) ALL
# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL

Sudo confuses new Linux users - it was a way to give usually root like permissions to people with out giving them THE root password. Sudo was mostly for multiuser systems - or more typical today - an X-user that needs root while running GUI apps. ( There are GUI things that I use sudo for - like a GUI editor - or meld that might need root powers - most applications know how to drop excess privileges ).

But most often - I don't need to mess with sudo if I can just become root and work from a command-line editor.

If the main user has sudo power (he has root - simple as $sudo passwd ) the system is vulnerable if it is connected to a LAN that has internet connectivity. The bad guys do try to log in as root - but they also try every other name you can think of - 24/7 - better to have root behind a very long password or ssh-key - Windoze machines are the usual attack source - once infected with some click bait they will try the locks on every LAN host they can. (OT: long passwords matter - especially if you can remember them - use something like alongphraseisnice - but a bit longer - people don't remember symbols/caps/numbers and thus write them down - thus not secure). Some of the attacks coming out of windoze boxes only crash the Linux boxes (not good if you are running a job). One of the reasons to use more recent kernels. Really hard to explain just how good the bad guys have gotten at breaking in.

Hope this is helpful - I think some of the people here are fairly new to Liunx.. I've been running Linux firewalls/servers and my personal desktop from back in 1999-2000.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2020 04:12 by lrak. Reason: clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
18 Aug 2020 10:42 #178591 by seuchato
Irak

Thanks a ton. Did my installs always as root. A decent password is there. Thanks also for he hint on modifying /etc/sudoers.d/local. I will consider that for my son, who is using my cnc's too.

greez
chris

More
18 Aug 2020 11:05 #178593 by andypugh

Non of those steps require sudo. They work just fine with a root password

But does LinuxCNC still work with sudo disabled?

(I don't know the answer, I have not done the experiment).

LinuxCNC needs to be able to load and unload kernel modules. For that reason, (at least with a run-in-place self-compiled version) it needs to be setuid root in order to work with access to hardware such as the PCI bus.

More
28 Sep 2020 03:36 #184097 by seuchato
Andy
Had the stock iso installed this weekend. I guess I was somehow not clear when stating that I always set a root passwd. I do so *after* the standard grafical install. Thus sudo is not being disabled and LinuxCNC runs just fine.

Besides: Excellent work with 2.8.0 iso! Thanks a ton!

greez
chris

More
09 Oct 2020 00:38 #185412 by Mduran
Hi, I am trying to install linuxcnc from the github repository github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/2.8, since I want to install ethercat to my pc, and the image that you put 'http: // buildbot. linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt 'does not work for me for this, at the moment of wanting to build linuxcnc as cnc from the git repository

1. Install linuxcnc
$ linuxcnc / debian / => ./configure uspace => cd ..
$ linuxcnc / => dpkg-checkbuilddeps => sudo apt-get install ..... until you are done.
$ cd src / => ./autogen.sh => ./configure => make -j2 (j2 = dual processor speed)
$ sudo make setuid

When I try to make the src folder I get the following error in console:
"Makefile: 82: *** Makefile.inc must specify RTPREFIX and other variables."

Do you have any idea why it happens or information about where they talk about it?

since i searched and the information i found is from linuxcnc 2.6

(old ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS linuxcnc 2.7 user)

More
09 Oct 2020 00:41 #185413 by phillc54

More
09 Oct 2020 00:51 - 09 Oct 2020 00:51 #185414 by Mduran
hi phillc54, the command you show me when you enter it shows me the following error:

"configure: error: invalid variable name:"

linuxcnc dependencies already installed them all as mentioned on the page, as mentioned here:

$ linuxcnc / debian / => ./configure uspace => cd ..
$ linuxcnc / => dpkg-checkbuilddeps => sudo apt-get install ..... until you are done.
$ cd src / => ./autogen.sh => ./configure => make -j2 (j2 = dual processor speed)
$ sudo make setuid

all the steps served me just the error occurs at the time of make.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 00:51 by Mduran.

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds