Debian 12 - Bookworm Live installer ISO for linuxcnc (x86_64)

More
19 Sep 2023 10:02 #281146 by rodw

I noticed that debian 12 installer does not fill apt/sources.list "correctly" if there is no network during the install.
It leaves only one line for dvd/usb and all net related is missing.
So if there was no network sources.list must be filled in by hand before going further.

I think that is expected Debian behaviour. A full DVD install will have every Debian package on it but we keep it  lean and mean. After all, it has to run off a USB stick (the live part of the name) so it is based on the Debian net install which requires a network connection to reach the packages during the installation.

This is a fork of the Linuxcnc installer some people previously had an attempt at bringing up to date for Bookworm some time ago.

It is based on the  Debian live installer which is very well documented and provides a framework that does almost all the heavy lifting. Ref: live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/h...manual/index.en.html
I did start with a clean build based directly on the live installer but decided if this was to be a future official release of Linucxnc , it needed to be based on the current installer so started again, but understood what they had done by then. I did get caught as at one stage the Linuxcnc version was overwriting the sources list and leaving off the non-free-firmware setting that did not exist when they did it.

The main things we do is:
a bit of branding,
a list of the packages we want
setting up the apt sources
Installing Linuxcnc
setting some defaults to minimise the number of questions asked. (eg no root user, default to a mirror, set default user groups)
Extensions I added to include repos for ethercat and qtpyvcp as both are messy to install.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2023 12:25 - 19 Sep 2023 12:25 #281157 by rodw
I did a small ammendment to make sure linuxcnc was not overwriitng my sources.list
I also added 3 extra packages which people have mentioned may cause axis et al to break running a sim.
I reckon I could build this image  5 times in the time it takes to build a pi image  

Give it 20 minutes to upload
Last edit: 19 Sep 2023 12:25 by rodw.

More
19 Sep 2023 12:35 #281158 by rodw
I also grabbed the default /etc/apt/sources.list file the installer starts with
drive.google.com/file/d/1dBE7uNtwHYEHpdB...BzX/view?usp=sharing
Just in case you don't have internet when you install
Repeated here for good luck
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

More
21 Sep 2023 00:44 #281267 by radicus
Installs successfully but on reboot, does not  boot from hard disk.   Modified every UEFI option I could think of.

Live CD option boots up no problem

More
21 Sep 2023 01:04 #281268 by rodw

Installs successfully but on reboot, does not  boot from hard disk.   Modified every UEFI option I could think of.

Live CD option boots up no problem

What PC hardware do you have?
Do you see the Grub menu?
If you open the boot menu (F9 for me but it changes with  PC brand) , can you select the Linux volume?
Its going to be a while before I can try installing it on a real PC.

More
21 Sep 2023 01:24 #281270 by radicus
Dell precision 5810
xeon e5
no grub menu
i get can get into bios and create a boot option,  then navigate to /efi … and select grubx64

More
23 Sep 2023 01:21 #281417 by radicus
Not a problem with this installer. Can’t get the official installer to boot in legacy or efi. What a pain. I have 4 Dell machines I saved off the recycling palette. They work with buster no problem

More
23 Sep 2023 01:34 #281418 by rodw
Can you try the official Debian Installer?
www.debian.org/

If that loads, then you can install linuxcnc by folowing these steps
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
And you will end up with the same place as the installer.

I know your frustration. I have 2 small PC's that I can't get boo out of anymore

More
23 Sep 2023 02:03 #281420 by radicus
Solved it. The official installer allowed me to boot the install usb in MRB mode. But I pulled my hair out getting it to work. I turned off all RAID settings. Then I noticed when I used the guided disk formatting that the root partition was not marked as bootable. I manually changed that and now it’s booted … time for a brew.

I tried creating a boot usb drive with a dd command for the custom installer. I could not get it to boot in efi or mrb mode. Only after burning it with balena etcher could I boot the install usb in efi mode. Efi mode didn’t work with either installer for me.

What I think I learned: Depending on your bios settings the installer will take one of two paths. For legacy bios boot settings it’s an MBR install, and for uefi bios settings it’s an efi install. The MBR install requires that the root \ file system is marked bootable and the guided partitioner doesn’t automatically do this. I did it manually. The EFI install doesn’t have a partition marked as bootable.

More
23 Sep 2023 02:11 - 23 Sep 2023 02:12 #281422 by rodw
Great stuff!
Odd, I have 2 dual boot uefi PC's 
With Windows on one drive and Debian on the other.
I had no problems on either.
(It is a very rare day that I boot into Windows)
If you do do this, turn off the bitlocker on Windows Drive C and let it unlock everything first, to Access it from debian
Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 02:12 by rodw.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds