ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help

More
18 Nov 2015 02:38 - 25 Nov 2015 07:10 #65400 by tjmarch
UPDATED DOWNLOADS ON 11/25/2015 (made changes in grub setting for latency, better latency results)
I have a couple of files you may be interested in if you what to compile LinuxCNC you will have the option to install Rtai, Rt-preempt or Xenomai kernels. The script file will works with Debian Wheezy, Ubuntu 14.04 and Linuxmint 17.2. With Ubuntu you will get a splat error near end of script if you install Rt-preempt just report error to get rid of message there will be no problems. Script file will make grub changes for latency and add cam resources to Inkscape. I also made Menu items for start menu. The last time I used it documentation would not build as html, but PDF worked fine. I think there is a mistake in git for the html build. When I tested this it built html for a couple of days then would not work after that. In Readme there are some references near the end of file for some CAM software that you might not be aware of. Files can be downloaded from below link they are two large to up-load here.

to get quick view of files
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4sgGWsB...nWmxRX0E&usp=sharing

to download archive
www.dropbox.com/s/0b3m8gsw6o78lca/linuxcnc.tar.gz?dl=0

to download readme
www.dropbox.com/s/9ixxmrse37jd1a5/Readme.txt?dl=0

Tim March :)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2015 07:10 by tjmarch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2015 16:02 #65439 by andypugh
Just to clarify: LinuxCNC does not work with Xenomai.
Machinekit does work with Xenomai, but needs to be downloaded from a different location.

More
18 Nov 2015 18:02 #65451 by tjmarch
Andy
The script file uses the same Xenomai 32bit kernel that is used for Machinekit and will work give it a try Andy before you dismiss it

Tim March

More
18 Nov 2015 20:08 #65458 by andypugh

The script file uses the same Xenomai 32bit kernel that is used for Machinekit and will work give it a try Andy before you dismiss it

OK, so what does it actually install? Have you patched the LinuxCNC source to support Xenomai, or have you discovered that, contrary to the expectations of Jeff (who wrote the uspace code) that uspace works with Xenomai?

More
18 Nov 2015 20:26 - 18 Nov 2015 20:35 #65459 by tjmarch
Andy
All I have done is install necessary packages to make it work. I have attached script file here but it needs to be in the archive for everything to work that I have setup and one needs to follow the directions in readme. To satisfy your curiosity take a look at script yourself I have uploaded as text file you then can see what is installed and uspace dose work with Xenomai .

Tim March
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Nov 2015 20:35 by tjmarch.

More
18 Nov 2015 21:27 #65461 by Razor_keen
This is actually really good. Im still a noob, but the instructions actually make sense. i see its a 32 bit build, which im running a 64 bit system. do you recommend me changing to a 32 bit system? Or is there an easy way of making it 64 bit?

More
18 Nov 2015 21:28 #65462 by andypugh

uspace dose work with Xenomai

Firstly, I applaud your efforts in trying to make things easy for folk.

However, I remain surprised by your claim that LinuxCNC works with Xenomai.

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...2811079;hb=HEAD#l310

Is specifically looking for "PREEMPT RT" in the kernel name.

Do you have a Xenomai system configured at the moment? If so, what does dmesg say about posix realtime / non-realtime?(ie the messages here: git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...bc48665a300515b#l689 )

More
18 Nov 2015 21:52 #65465 by Razor_keen
the answer is it only works with 32 bit systems

More
18 Nov 2015 22:07 #65466 by tjmarch
Andy
I am at work at this moment desktop at home is setup with Debian at this time with Rtai. When I get home tonight I will make LCNC clean boot into Xenomai then recompile. Then post here a answer for you.

Tim

More
19 Nov 2015 00:20 #65472 by Razor_keen
do you work for redhat?

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds