Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

18 Dec 2023 11:34

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

Sorry mate I didn't realise that you got the hal_gpio module working.
18 Dec 2023 11:02
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I would like some help installing linuxcnc for raspberry pi 5. How to configure the hal file to access gpio in version 5. Does anyone have a working model hal file for the raspberry pi5 and could share it with me?

Have you tried what I wrote here?

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-pi-5?start=0#285243
17 Dec 2023 16:10

Hardware specification of mesa 7c81

Category: Driver Boards

For best signal integrity, (and highest SPI clock rate) you need to
use every ground and power connection on the RPI, or ground
bumping between the RPI and the FPGA card will result in very
poor signal integrity. This is why the 7C80 and 7C81 use the
complete 40 pin connector and connect all grounds plus bypass all
3.3V and 5V RPI power connections on the FPGA card.

Hi PCW,

I am a new user in the LinuxCNC forums and am looking to convert my previous GRBL machine to run LinuxCNC via Raspberry Pi4, Mesa 7C81 and 7I78 step/dir daughter card. Could you please elaborate a bit on the design of the 7C81?

As far as I've read the 3,3V supply pins from the RPi4 are not used at the 7C81 side or am I mistaken? Most GPIOs aren't used at the 7C81, correct? Only the SPI capable pins are really used to communicate, right?

I am used to powering my RPi4s vie the USB-C connector as there is circuitry on the input side to prevent overvoltage (to some degree), but not via the GPIO-pins and I was wondering if there is any benefit to not connect the Vcc pins (5V and 3.3V I mean)? I thought to only connect every GND pin and the SPI pins to reference GND properly between boards and maybe protect the RPi4 with the included overvoltage circuitry.

If I understand your previous statement correctly my suggested connection method is what you meant by ground bumping, right?

How are the 3.3V and 5V pins bypassed on the FPGA? If the power supply can handle it should I maybe not power the 7C81 via the TB1 (and/or TB2) but only via the USB-C? Is there overvoltage protection on the 7C81 that makes it safe to use the GPIOs as VCC input for the RPi4? Would there be a downside to power both boards in parallel if the same power supply is connected (and capable of doing so)?

Sorry if I'm asking too much at once, but I'm a little excited to get into LinuxCNC

Kind regards,
Klaus
17 Dec 2023 06:11

Installing LinuxCNC 2.8.4 on Raspbian 10 (Buster) tested on Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi

OK, I have something else going on, but I can't figure out what.
I've got 2 RPi4B here, 2x new 64GB Sandisks from Amazon, and one older one that put a LinuxCNC image on about a year ago, which booted some text but said "this board requires newer software" and kept repeating that. I'm using HDMI0

The old card still booted to "this board requires newer software".

But I made up a card for the regular RPi OS 64 bit. That did NOT boot either! OK... so...
Power supply? changed to two other power supplies, including my Dell laptop USB-C supply. No diff.
PC? That would make some sense, but I reprogrammed the card on a different PC. No diff.
Bad SDHC card? That we're dealing with 3 different cards acting the same makes that implausible.

There's clearly a problem here if I can't boot a regular image. But as far as I can tell I've ruled out everything but the monitor.
16 Dec 2023 14:00

Since there have been so many changes in gpio access between the RPi 4 and the RPi 5 ATM Ethernet would appear to be the only option. Or PCIe might work but there is not a great deal of information regarding the interface on the RPi5.
Until a SPI driver becomes available mine has gone back into its box and in a drawer.
16 Dec 2023 11:49
Replied by rufino on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I would like some help installing linuxcnc for raspberry pi 5. How to configure the hal file to access gpio in version 5. Does anyone have a working model hal file for the raspberry pi5 and could share it with me?
16 Dec 2023 06:50 - 16 Dec 2023 06:54

Hardware specification of mesa 7c81

Category: Driver Boards

File Attachment:

File Name: spartan-6-...2-16.zip
File Size:1,558 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: fpga_files...16-2.zip
File Size:5 KB
  Hello !!

I am trying to implement simply 3-axis cnc-machine with spindle with my spartan-6 fpga and raspberry pi-4 (attaching spartan-6 mini manual for the reference). 
I've tried to understand PIN_5ABOBx3D_57.vhd, 7c81spi.ucf & c81_x9card.vhd and made project on ISE 14.7 (changed ucf file according to our spartan-6 pinouts), also created bitstream and flashed it using impact of xilinx. I've also configured linuxcnc using pncconf and edited "loadrt pci" to "loadrt rpspi" & "5i25" to "7c81" in ini and hal file respectively.
Still facing issue while running linuxcnc. attaching ss of error while running linuxcnc and files of fpga. 
Can anyone please help me with this ?
Thanks !!  
15 Dec 2023 16:05

Installing LinuxCNC 2.8.4 on Raspbian 10 (Buster) tested on Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi

no luck with that 2.9.1

It prints a few lines of text in the upper left, then the HDMI signal dies and the monitor goes to sleep.  It's not booted and not responsive to keyboard

Both RPI4s I have, burned with RPi imager and "no" to customizations

You can try this version, which I've verified works on both the Raspberry Pi4 and the 400

drive.google.com/file/d/102X3o4uYb6QLkgT...uKe/view?usp=sharing

user: pi
pwd: raspberry
15 Dec 2023 08:02

Bought my first Pi yesterday from Core electronics in Australia. Considering the fact i live in New Zealand, the UNDER 24 hours from order to delivery was just astonishing- cant recommend that company highly enough- and nobody in NZ had the 8gig Pi5, so it was even more unexpected that things might go this smoothly :-D

15 Dec 2023 07:40 - 15 Dec 2023 07:41

no luck with that 2.9.1

It prints a few lines of text in the upper left, then the HDMI signal dies and the monitor goes to sleep.  It's not booted and not responsive to keyboard

Both RPI4s I have, burned with RPi imager and "no" to customizations
15 Dec 2023 00:31 - 15 Dec 2023 00:34

For RPi 4 use this

www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.9.1-bookworm-rpi4.img.xz

Unless of course you have a reason to use 2.8.4

I if you use the raspberry pi imager to write the SD card don't "customise" the image.
After booting you can use menu-config to change some settings. Just be aware the structure of this image isn't exactly the same as the Official RPi images but has been tailored for use with Linuxcnc.
14 Dec 2023 22:53

I made an SD card with "Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) with desktop and recommended software" and tried on two different RPi4B, one 4GB one 8GB.

It shows a splash screen, a text changes rapidly in the lower left corner, then it locks up. The HDMI signal is gone, the monitor goes into standby, and it won't respond to keyboard input

Where do I go from here?
Displaying 751 - 765 out of 1060 results.
Time to create page: 1.192 seconds